Andreas Weimann has joined Bristol City

Charlie George
Message added by Day

Non transfer related Weimann posts should now be in Football Talk or 👉 https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/29724-ex-rams/

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, sage said:

They helped but he wasn't one of the top performers. He was also central to a system that provided turgid football.

Maybe not top performers but helped the team, which Weimann was also part of. 

Jerome never really fitted in until the system changed and then the goals flew in, it was that system change which turned our form around and saw us cross the line, turgid or not. 

1 minute ago, AdamRam said:

Pretty sure that both Wiemann and definitely CJ were not regulars in the team that got us to second in the league. It’s only when they became regulars that our form dipped, chances of automatically being promoted disappeared, we nearly missed out on the play offs and we were easily beat over two legs.

I don’t think people are comparing them with WC players, they just recognise that they are not taking the club foward and therefore are hopefull that a better player will be brought in.  Wienmann has been at the club over 3 years and has a grand total of 9 goals and for me I can’t remember many performances that stand as as being good, therefore I won’t be sad to see him leave. 

Weimann, 34 starts, 8 from the bench. In a 46 game season, I'd call that regular.

32 minutes ago, David said:

Just a bit. Makes you wonder how we made the play offs at all when you look at the comments on Weimann, Lawrence, Jerome.....

Always feels like we're comparing our Championship players with stars at the World Cup. Of course they have flaws, which is why they are not in the Premier League. 

It's quite amazing that Lawrence isn't Ronaldo isn't it? I mean I'd find it realistic that a player of that calibre would be playing for a playoff team in the championship

I wonder if a few too many people don't actually watch Championship football? If you watch MOTD and Champions League football and then the World Cup - And then you watch our players - Maybe you build up an unrealistic expectation of the level of footballer we can attract?

Just now, cheron85 said:

It's quite amazing that Lawrence isn't Ronaldo isn't it? I mean I'd find it realistic that a player of that calibre would be playing for a playoff team in the championship

I wonder if a few too many people don't actually watch Championship football? If you watch MOTD and Champions League football and then the World Cup - And then you watch our players - Maybe you build up an unrealistic expectation of the level of footballer we can attract?

They can go past entire teams when controlling Lawrence on fifa, so naturally every time he runs into a defender he's just not trying.

10 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Pretty sure that both Wiemann and definitely CJ were not regulars in the team that got us to second in the league. It’s only when they became regulars that our form dipped, chances of automatically being promoted disappeared, we nearly missed out on the play offs and we were easily beat over two legs.

I don’t think people are comparing them with WC players, they just recognise that they are not taking the club foward and therefore are hopefull that a better player will be brought in.  Wienmann has been at the club over 3 years and has a grand total of 9 goals and for me I can’t remember many performances that stand as as being good, therefore I won’t be sad to see him leave. 

In which case your 'regular' was Johnny Russell - Who was over and over again on here accused of not being good enough for a top-end championship side - Many also argued he wasn't as good as Weimann - Who was rotated with Russell at the start of the season

3 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Weimann was fairly regular, if you look at the run after the Bristol City defeat

D - Birmingham - 66mins
D - Brentford - 78mins
D - Cardiff (bench)
W - Forest (bench)
W - Sheff Wed (bench)
W - Norwich (bench)
W - Leeds - 22mins
L - Reading - Bench
D - Fulham - 18mins
W - QPR - 90mins
W - Boro - 90mins
L - Ipswich - 70mins
W - Burton - 90 mins
W - Barnsley - 90mins
W - Villa - 57mins
W - Millwall - 82mins
D - Hull - 90mins
W - Ipswich - 20mins
D - Sheff Utd - 90mins
W - Birmingham - 12mins
D - Bristol City - 14mins
D - Millwall - 90mins
W - Brentford - not in squad

Over the season he played over an hour in 13 of 20 wins, 11 of 15 draws and 9 of our 11 defeats.

£2 million is not good money in football terms it’s ok money for what was a first team starter last season - what we actually gain is a large wage earner off the payroll 

any money back on Anya Blackman and Butterfield would be good money and a huge payroll saving 

On 01/07/2018 at 08:50, DCFC1388 said:

2m for him when he only has 1 year left on his deal for me is a price we shouldnt refuse.

He is a workhorse, but under Lampard i'm hoping to see a lot more than just that from our attacking players.

The article suggests Marriott is a possible replacement too.

Also, remember that even though he has been written off by a lot of people, we do have Blackman back who at this level has shown he can score goals which is something the likes of Weimann & Anya havent showed at this level.

Oh so YES!!

On 01/07/2018 at 10:33, jimbo jones said:

No brainier for me. Sell sell sell. 

£2 million is good money for a workhorse with no end product.

Through the middle his finishing and passing isn’t good enough, you couldn’t play him as a lone striker, out wide, he can’t cross. He filled in well at lwb but if we are going to carry on playing that way, we need a more naturally suited play eg Lowe or New signing.

Didnt we buy him for £2 million? If so recouping the money we spent when he’s in the last year of his contract, when he has far from set the world alight would be good business.

or we could keep him as a squad player, then he buggers off on a free at the end of the season....

Correct, Sir.

On 01/07/2018 at 10:40, Duracell said:

Last season was his best in a Derby shirt by some distance, and it still wasn’t spectacular.

I personally don’t think you can make up for a lack of quality by running around a lot. Not if you want to get promoted, anyway.

Good pro though. If he goes, I wish him well.

A certain Mr Rowett would take issue with you on that point @Duracell?

On 01/07/2018 at 12:33, MoleyMcMolerson said:

So he's a fast player who scored goals for Villa at the top level, who can't score and panics in the box?

Cheers lads haha.

He's having a medical at your place and £2.5 millions is making its way to Derby, so I suspect the "Ha Ha"s may be on us later. Just sayin' ?

3 hours ago, ShoreRam said:

For £2m, I'd not only offer young Andreas a lift to Bristol, I'd make him a ham and cheese sandwich for the journey, stop every time he needs the toilet, let him spend £1 on those vibrating massage chairs at the services, give him as many sweets as he wants and carry his bags to the door when we get to Brizzle ?

...I'll chip in for Andi's McDonald's at Michael Wood Services. Big Mac Meal as well if he wants it. 

2 hours ago, David said:

Weimann was fairly regular, if you look at the run after the Bristol City defeat

D - Birmingham - 66mins
D - Brentford - 78mins
D - Cardiff (bench)
W - Forest (bench)
W - Sheff Wed (bench)
W - Norwich (bench)
W - Leeds - 22mins
L - Reading - Bench
D - Fulham - 18mins
W - QPR - 90mins
W - Boro - 90mins
L - Ipswich - 70mins
W - Burton - 90 mins
W - Barnsley - 90mins
W - Villa - 57mins
W - Millwall - 82mins
D - Hull - 90mins
W - Ipswich - 20mins
D - Sheff Utd - 90mins
W - Birmingham - 12mins
D - Bristol City - 14mins
D - Millwall - 90mins
W - Brentford - not in squad

Over the season he played over an hour in 13 of 20 wins, 11 of 15 draws and 9 of our 11 defeats.

Looks to me he only started in 6 of the 13 wins, and 10 of the 21 games from Forest to Brentford - maybe I should have put regular starter, however the point stands when he started matches we tended to lose more.

To my memory he and Russell shared the role between them at the start. They're both players who can be reasonably effective in short bursts/runs but will never be able to keep up performances for more than a handful of games at a time before going back to being useless. 

Second half of the season we were left with Weimann as the default first choice starter down the right, with nobody suitable to swap him out for his inevitable 'gone to poo' spells meant long periods of frustration.

Archived