What happens if Frank doesn’t play Chris Martin

Curtains

3 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

I agree but nobody can say how they would trim the squad while remaining competitive. We don't know the players wages precisely but it is fair to presume that most of the first team squad are on £15k plus per week. If Martin and Bryson stay who goes?

In an ideal world we keep both and get rid of 3 or 4 of the dead wood players. A tough call I know but as I said earlier, Mel usually backs his managers judgement financially so I'll leave the numbers game to him. As long as we are competitive and more entertaining than last season then I'm happy to trust the managers judgement on the ins and outs. Just glad it's not my call but so far the decisions made have been very encouraging.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Harrowram said:

Rowett is a successful football manager. He didn't sign Johnson and Jerome has hardly been a failure. His style of play may not be pleasing to the eye but neither is Neil Warnock's style of play. it didn't prevent him from getting 8 teams promoted though.

What successes are they then?

Being sacked by Birmingham and effectively by us?

Being Burton albions manager?

Playing the worst football at Derby that I've seen in twenty years?

Being the first manager since we were demoted to actually make me question going to see us play?

1 hour ago, Harrowram said:

It appears Lampard sees Bryson as part of the set up. Rowett didn't. However given the stated need to reduce the wage bill from £34 million to £22 million if you retain Chris Martin who would you move on? Bent, Baird, Russell, Shackell, and Weimann have gone. Who is next?

Blackman , Anya , Butterfield

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

So you're moving players on based on what they earn and whether they're sellable? We're gonna have a poo squad leftover then after all the decent players are sold! ?

We have to be careful because of FFP not stupid.

I loved Martin 2/3 years ago but surely hes now surplus to requirements.I cant see him pressing like Nugent did again Southampton

20 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Being the first manager since we were demoted to actually make me question going to see us play?

He was unlucky to be sacked by Birmingham, was within one game of promotion at Derby and clearly is highly thought of by Stoke.

Warnock has had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus but nobody can claim he has been a failure.

20 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Your last point made me think I agree and I’m glad GR has gone but Pearson was worse for me. 

Rowett kept his job because we destroyed Cardiff in the second half at PP.

i like it best when we try to score loads of goals.

11 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

He was unlucky to be sacked by Birmingham, was within one game of promotion at Derby and clearly is highly thought of by Stoke.

Warnock has had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus but nobody can claim he has been a failure.

Warnock has achieved multiple promotions.

Rowett has achieved very little.

I'd be interested in stoke city's opinions of him at the end of the season....presuming he lasts that long.

22 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

I loved Martin 2/3 years ago but surely hes now surplus to requirements.I cant see him pressing like Nugent did again Southampton

No indeed. But he would have scored and set up some more chances! ?

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I'd be interested in stoke city's opinions of him at the end of the season....presuming he lasts that long.

I see the bookies have the three relegated teams plus Villa and Middlesbrough as the promotion favourites. It will be interesting to see how Rowett does and who the early casualties are. He has just spent £5 million on James Maclean.

In my view both Rowett, Darren Moore at WBA, Potter at Swansea and Steve Bruce are under considerable pressure. A bad start and they could be seeking another position quite quickly.

Rowett wasn’t a failure. How can top 6 be a failure and I’ve seen way worse football than last season in the 20+ years I’ve been watching Derby. The football was worst the season before Rowett came. Possession based, created absolutely nothing and towards the end of Mac 2 more holes in the defence that leaked like a culinder! This was due to the constant changing managers and Mac didn’t have the players he needed. Rowett improved us no doubt, would Mac have improved us more given time we’ll never know. But the football under Rowett definitely could’ve been better.

Only thing Rowett is guilty of is being a snake. However while Lampard is a gamble his ability to attract top loan signings, combined with a way of playing and a system that gets the best out of the likes of Bryson and Lawrence has transformed us. I don’t think Martin will feature much but I wouldn’t rule out Vyds in the middle of the front three the way we now play it without a definitive focal point.

I would therefore like to thank Rowett for being a snake as it means we have Frank and our prospects are definitely greater than they would be had Rowett remained in charge.

22 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Rowetts lost in three play offs so far .

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yesterday was cramp. I think we've plenty with him, Fozzy and Bird (= a.n.other)

Bird is not a left back, Fozzy might never be the same player again after his injuries and Lowe who I really like by the way, has had a lot of injuries so I would Deffo be thinking about another left back, time will tell away.

Just now, Derby blood said:

Bird is not a left back, Fozzy might never be the same player again after his injuries and Lowe who I really like by the way, has had a lot of injuries so I would Defoe be thinking about another left back, time will tell away.

I KNOW Bird is not a LB which is why I put (a.n.other).

Fozzy had a good game against Notts. We've another LB in the U23s/U18 who looked good. That's enough. What about centre halves?

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

I KNOW Bird is not a LB which is why I put (a.n.other).

Fozzy had a good game against Notts. We've another LB in the U23s/U18 who looked good. That's enough. What about centre halves?

We are strong at centre back with Keogh, Davis, Pearce and Wisdom can also play there, and none of these players have injuries all the time, I feel we are a left back short due to Fozzy and Lowe injury concerns, and we also need a number 9, then like I have said we are in for a very good season, whatever happens I will be there backing my team as I have done sine 1979. Can not wait till Reading away, that when it really counts, not in pre season.

According to wiki

Rowett P308 W131 D84 L93 = 42%

The success at Brum... he won 42 and lost 32

He's never won a promotion or a trophy. He's lost in 3 play offs.

He plays ugly football and according to Brum he likes to flirt with other clubs at every opportunity. He left Burton for Brum and now Derby for Stoke so it suggests Brum were right. He's not built anything. He's never stuck around long enough to leave any sort of legacy.

Successful? He's not a patch on Warnock. Not a patch.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

According to wiki

Rowett P308 W131 D84 L93 = 42%

The success at Brum... he won 42 and lost 32

He's never won a promotion or a trophy. He's lost in 3 play offs.

He plays ugly football and according to Brum he likes to flirt with other clubs at every opportunity. He left Burton for Brum and now Derby for Stoke so it suggests Brum were right. He's not built anything. He's never stuck around long enough to leave any sort of legacy.

Successful? He's not a patch on Warnock. Not a patch.

But what about the footwear?

Archived