What happens if Frank doesn’t play Chris Martin

Curtains

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Harrowram said:

And your point is what? Rowett has a well paid job with Stoke which whether he is a success or not will probably see him financially secure for life. Isn't that success?

Not if you're a Stoke fan. Anyway that wasn't your point. Otherwise it makes Martin very successful too.

31 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So where does that leave old Nuge and Jerome?

I have the feeling that Lampard will use them as experience / presence in a younger squad while their contracts ebb away. Martin may also play the same roll but I think he wants a different sort of football - one that doesn’t have a single focal point. 

You could see from yesterday that it wasn’t a question of play to this or that strength .. it was ball at speed across the pitch with players having some freedom to move from designated fixed roles. 

Our  formation  moved from 433 to 442 to 352 and back again depending on who had the ball, where the ball was and what the opposition and our runs were doing 

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Not if you're a Stoke fan. Anyway that wasn't your point. Otherwise it makes Martin very successful too.

Agreed. Chris Martin may well be financially secure and have no further financial worries in life. If so good luck to him.

Let's put it this way out of Chris Martin, David Nugent, Cameron Jerome, Nick Blackman, Mason Bennett,and Matej Vydra (all essentially central strikers) who would you keep, who would you move on and who would you replace them with?

29 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

If Martin is so good why hasn't anyone come in for him? They are hardly queueing up for his services ?

So you know he’s on £30k and you know that nobody has asked about him. I take it that clubs have asked about Vydra and the rest of the squad otherwise they’re all rubbish too?

6 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

Let's put it this way out of Chris Martin, David Nugent, Cameron Jerome, Nick Blackman, Mason Bennett,and Matej Vydra (all essentially central strikers) who would you keep, who would you move on and who would you replace them with?

Vydra isn't a central striker. Nugent and Jerome can't make 90 minutes and Bennett needs back up. So I'd keep Bennett, Martin and sign some quick young striker/poacher cheaply (hardly matters who with the chances our midfield/front men will create). I'd spend any spare cash on a decent young centre-half.

4 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

Agreed. Chris Martin may well be financially secure and have no further financial worries in life. If so good luck to him.

I’d keep Nugent and Bennett. Nugent for his experience and character (also he’s always scored goals) and Bennett as he’s young and showing good signs in pre-season. I’d sell Vydra for the cash and don’t see him up top on his own. Blackman I’d sell too. Jerome and Martin play for their futures. 

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Vydra isn't a central striker. Nugent and Jerome can't make 90 minutes and Bennett needs back up. So I'd keep Bennett, Martin and sign some quick young striker/poacher cheaply (hardly matters who with the chances our midfield/front men will create). I'd spend any spare cash on a decent young centre-half.

That doesn't leave us with much of a threat upfront. Bennett who needs back up and Martin who is currently injured and has no pace anyway.

1 minute ago, Harrowram said:

That doesn't leave us with much of a threat upfront. Bennett who needs back up and Martin whois currently injured and has no pace anyway.

To be fair Martin has never had pace and it’s not part of his game. The pace comes from those behind him, he draws players out, makes space, then lays off the ball to those running on. To be honest he’s been the best target man I’ve seen at the club, his one or two touch passing and lay offs were great. If he can show he still has that I’d keep him and think he’d be amazing in this set up. If he can’t do that anymore then time to move on but he should be given the opportunity to show that. 

7 minutes ago, WilkoRam said:

So you know he’s on £30k and you know that nobody has asked about him. I take it that clubs have asked about Vydra and the rest of the squad otherwise they’re all rubbish too?

We have a massive wage bill which the owner wants to reduce. Chris Martin was given a substantially improved contract by Steve Mcclaren in 2017. He didn't contribute a great deal last season and was loaned to Reading. So if you retain his services how do you intend to reduce the wage bill while keeping the side competitive. In other words which players would you move on and how would you replace them? Loan signings or permanent signings and who would you sign?

Just now, Harrowram said:

We have a massive wage bill which the owner wants to reduce. .. In other words which players would you move on and how would you replace them? Loan signings or permanent signings and who would you sign?

So you're moving players on based on what they earn and whether they're sellable? We're gonna have a poo squad leftover then after all the decent players are sold! ?

We have to be careful because of FFP not stupid.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

So you're moving players on based on what they earn and whether they're sellable? We're gonna have a poo squad leftover then after all the decent players are sold! ?

We have to be careful because of FFP not stupid.

Chris Martin is on a good contract and didn't contribute much last season. If you don't move on players who don't start regularly and who are loaned out who do you move on?Whether Chris Martin is still a decent player is debatable. Given his absence from the first 11 last season he is no longer considered a decent player worthy of his place in the team.

3 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

Chris Martin is on a good contract and didn't contribute much last season. If you don't move on players who don't start regularly and who are loaned out who do you move on?Whether Chris Martin is still a decent player is debatable. Given his absence from the first 11 last season he is no longer considered a decent player worthy of his place in the team.

Like Bryson?

Just now, Dimmu said:

Like Bryson?

It appears Lampard sees Bryson as part of the set up. Rowett didn't. However given the stated need to reduce the wage bill from £34 million to £22 million if you retain Chris Martin who would you move on? Bent, Baird, Russell, Shackell, and Weimann have gone. Who is next?

22 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

If Rowett was still the manager I’d agree with you as he didn’t get a look in with Rowett and clearly didn’t suit his plans. With Lampard, and what I’ve seen of the team pla so far, I think Martin could work well and shouldn’t be shoved out the door based on previous managers style and assessment. Just as, like you say, Bryson seems to be in Lampards plans but had Rowett been here I doubt he’d have a future. 

18 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

Bent, Baird, Russell, Shackell, and Weimann have gone. Who is next?

Only Frank Lampard can answer that question. I just think you're jumping the gun by presuming that because he's a high earner that he's next out of the door. If FL thinks he can utilise his skill set then I have no doubt that Mel Morris will back him and find another way of cost cutting. Either way things are on the up now we've got rid of the one dimensional egotist that was at the helm last season.

4 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Only Frank Lampard can answer that question. I just think you're jumping the gun by presuming that because he's a high earner that he's next out of the door. If FL thinks he can utilise his skill set then I have no doubt that Mel Morris will back him and find another way of cost cutting. Either way things are on the up now we've got rid of the one dimensional egotist that was at the helm last season.

I agree but nobody can say how they would trim the squad while remaining competitive. We don't know the players wages precisely but it is fair to presume that most of the first team squad are on £15k plus per week. If Martin and Bryson stay who goes?

3 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

I agree but nobody can say how they would trim the squad while remaining competitive. We don't know the players wages precisely but it is fair to presume that most of the first team squad are on £15k plus per week. If Martin and Bryson stay who goes?

Whoever Frank doesn't want that we can sell or loan.

I appreciate that Frank is the manager but who would you get rid of? You would keep Martin and Bryson. What would you do with the likes of Anya, Blackman, Butterfield, Johnson,Olson? Is there anyone decent out there worth considering? Most of us would fancy Tammy Abraham on loan, Grabban and Rhodes have signed for other clubs. Is Marriott worth £6 million?

Archived