What happens if Frank doesn’t play Chris Martin

Curtains

4 hours ago, David said:

Neil Warnock has been in football management now 38 years, Rowett 6 years.

It’s like comparing Cliff Richards hits v Lady Gaga.

But LG has had several #1s, sadly Rowett has only had slipped disks rather than the golden varieties

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Mac also there. Martin played 45mins. Suspect he may go out on loan.

Interesting; if both mac and eustace there sounds like a 'shop window' if butterfield, thorne and other fringe players got a game. 

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

But LG has had several #1s, sadly Rowett has only had slipped disks rather than the golden varieties

I remember a not too dissimilar discussion which McClaren tenure was under the microscope as some members claimed he wasn’t successful at Derby.

Many believed a manager did not need to get us promoted to be a success, having reached the play offs was enough.

Rowett took us into the play offs. He also took a poor Birmingham side into the top 10 and we saw what happened to them since his departure.

Yes he loaned out fan favourites Martin and Bryson, Mourinho sold De Bryune and Lukaku. Some times players just don’t suit, that’s football.

Mourinho later signed Lukaku at United, Rowett is about to resign Ince. Ince even dropping a division to play under Rowett again, that must tell you something?

Does Rowett play the most entertaining football in the world? No, of course not, but that doesn’t make him a bad manager. 

Mourinho, Dyche, Pulis have all been successful for their clubs in their own way without playing spectacular football. Burnley fans have embraced the shithouse ways as it’s brought them success.

Whilst I don’t see Rowett ever achieving what Mourinho has in the game, if he manages to get his belly off the ground he has enough about him to go on and be a successful manager in his own way, dividing fans as he goes, it would not surprise me one bit if he takes Stoke up this season and the achievement is just brushed off as he’s had X amount to spend.

As a football club we have seen far far worse managers walk through the doors, Rowett won’t be remembered too fondly, the divide has been blurred by the way he departed the club, his words on signing a new contract to then walking out a few weeks later to Stoke of all clubs.

Either way he’s gone now, I’m glad, not because I would have found it difficult to endure another season of his football, but it’s allowed Lampard to come in and it’s given the whole club a lift, it has a touch of 13/14 about it, but we know that expectations are much higher now and results must follow as the shine will quickly wear off. 

13/14 was so good as we had zero expectations, Clough had drained us of any hope and In came the Dutch man waving his fairy dust waking up the team. 

Media spotlight is truly on us, and fans expect the Premier League, I hope Frank can deliver as this truly could be a season to remember. 

29 minutes ago, David said:

I remember a not too dissimilar discussion which McClaren tenure was under the microscope as some members claimed he wasn’t successful at Derby.

Many believed a manager did not need to get us promoted to be a success, having reached the play offs was enough.

Rowett took us into the play offs. He also took a poor Birmingham side into the top 10 and we saw what happened to them since his departure.

Yes he loaned out fan favourites Martin and Bryson, Mourinho sold De Bryune and Lukaku. Some times players just don’t suit, that’s football.

Mourinho later signed Lukaku at United, Rowett is about to resign Ince. Ince even dropping a division to play under Rowett again, that must tell you something?

Does Rowett play the most entertaining football in the world? No, of course not, but that doesn’t make him a bad manager. 

Mourinho, Dyche, Pulis have all been successful for their clubs in their own way without playing spectacular football. Burnley fans have embraced the shithouse ways as it’s brought them success.

Whilst I don’t see Rowett ever achieving what Mourinho has in the game, if he manages to get his belly off the ground he has enough about him to go on and be a successful manager in his own way, dividing fans as he goes, it would not surprise me one bit if he takes Stoke up this season and the achievement is just brushed off as he’s had X amount to spend.

As a football club we have seen far far worse managers walk through the doors, Rowett won’t be remembered too fondly, the divide has been blurred by the way he departed the club, his words on signing a new contract to then walking out a few weeks later to Stoke of all clubs.

Either way he’s gone now, I’m glad, not because I would have found it difficult to endure another season of his football, but it’s allowed Lampard to come in and it’s given the whole club a lift and it has a touch of 13/14 about it, but we know that expectations are much higher now and results must follow as the shine will quickly wear off. 

13/14 was so good as we had zero expectations, Clough had drained us of any hope and In came the Dutch man waving his fairy dust waking up the team. 

Media spotlight is truly on us, and fans expect the Premier League, I hope Frank can deliver as this truly could be a season to remember. 

It’s about time I agreed with you..... what’s this sorcery..... 

Well I wasn't saying he'll never be successful. I just saw him described as a successful manager and compared to Warnock.

His career win percentage is 42. The praise he gets at Brum amazes me because there is was 39%

Not saying he did a bad job at Brum. They were a poor side so I wouldn't expect Ancelotti to get 60% 

But it was average. Like his career. Meh. Rowett? Shrug shoulders and move on. He's a trendy Simon Grayson without the medals!

40 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Well I wasn't saying he'll never be successful. I just saw him described as a successful manager and compared to Warnock.

His career win percentage is 42. The praise he gets at Brum amazes me because there is was 39%

Not saying he did a bad job at Brum. They were a poor side so I wouldn't expect Ancelotti to get 60% 

But it was average. Like his career. Meh. Rowett? Shrug shoulders and move on. He's a trendy Simon Grayson without the medals!

Second most successful manager since the turn of the millennium in terms of win percentage at Birmingham.

Hughton 41.9%
Rowett 39.6%
Bruce 37.0%
McCleish 36.9%
Redknapp 30.8%
Clarke 28.4%
Cotterill 25.9%
Zola 8.3%

Derby he has the 5th best win ratio since the turn of the millennium. As I said we have had a lot worse, a hell of a lot worse, but the way some fans talk he’s a clueless noddy that took us into the dark ages which is not even close to being the truth.

McClaren 54.2%
Wassall 50%
Davies 44.9%
McClaren II 44.8%
Rowett 43.3%
Clement 42.4%
Burley 36.4%
Clough 32.9%
Gregory 29.0%
Westley 25%
Todd 23.5%
Jewell 22.4%
Pearson 21.4%
Brown 21.1%

6 minutes ago, David said:

Second most successful manager since the turn of the millennium in terms of win percentage at Birmingham.

Hughton 41.9%
Rowett 39.6%
Bruce 37.0%
McCleish 36.9%
Redknapp 30.8%
Clarke 28.4%
Cotterill 25.9%
Zola 8.3%

Derby he has the 5th best win ratio since the turn of the millennium. As I said we have had a lot worse, a hell of a lot worse, but the way some fans talk he’s a clueless noddy that took us into the dark ages which is not even close to being the truth.

McClaren 54.2%
Wassall 50%
Davies 44.9%
McClaren II 44.8%
Rowett 43.3%
Clement 42.4%
Burley 36.4%
Clough 32.9%
Gregory 29.0%
Westley 25%
Todd 23.5%
Jewell 22.4%
Pearson 21.4%
Brown 21.1%

That's very surprising...

1 minute ago, ramsbottom said:

That's very surprising...

You have to remember Rowett is the first manager which left the club to take another job, the rest were sacked so would have suffered a dip which led to their departures. McClaren would be kind of an exception to that with the Newcastle thing, but let's not go down that path again! 

43 minutes ago, David said:

You have to remember Rowett is the first manager which left the club to take another job, the rest were sacked so would have suffered a dip which led to their departures. McClaren would be kind of an exception to that with the Newcastle thing, but let's not go down that path again! 

it makes me smile how people rightly or wrongly keep calling Rowett a snake but don't mention how low Maclaren was when negotiating with Newcastle whist still denying it

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well I don't care how successful he was with Derby, I'm glad he's gone and taken his Rowettball with him.

Yep,good riddance

And yes,rowett created the worst football I've seen here since we were demoted...

Thankfully Pearson wasn't here long enough to claim the title, whereas we had to suffer rowett for over a year.

2 hours ago, David said:

He left before he was pushed I suspect,no matter what spin the club have glossed over the matter with.

8 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

He left before he was pushed I suspect,no matter what spin the club have glossed over the matter with.

Another one of your conspiracy theories.

Rowett wasn’t going to get the boot, call it what you want but he wasn’t. Still had the clubs full support.

2 hours ago, David said:

Hughton 41.9%
Rowett 39.6%
Bruce 37.0%
McCleish 36.9%
Redknapp 30.8%
Clarke 28.4%
Cotterill 25.9%
Zola 8.3%

McClaren 54.2%
Wassall 50%
Davies 44.9%
McClaren II 44.8%
Rowett 43.3%
Clement 42.4%
Burley 36.4%
Clough 32.9%
Gregory 29.0%
Westley 25%
Todd 23.5%
Jewell 22.4%
Pearson 21.4%
Brown 21.1%

I think a big part of the reason why I (and i suspect) judge Rowett harshly despite what you could consider a successful final placing, is that every decision Rowett made was a short term decision with a sole focus on getting him a promotion on his record.

He inherited a side capable of a top 6 push and he had a free hit to assess players toward the back end of last season. The players he went after were established quantities, purchased to get us over the line. To be honest in that context I consider a top 6 finish barely par. 

Rowett will likely go onto have relatively successful career on the championship managerial merry go round, getting clubs some quick bounces of results and maybe a promotion or two. I doubt he'll have any lasting success at a club though, he's too self interested and lacking in vision to enact a plan for that.

10 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I think a big part of the reason why I (and i suspect) judge Rowett harshly despite what you could consider a successful final placing, is that every decision Rowett made was a short term decision with a sole focus on getting him a promotion on his record.

He inherited a side capable of a top 6 push and he had a free hit to assess players toward the back end of last season. The players he went after were established quantities, purchased to get us over the line. To be honest in that context I consider a top 6 finish barely par. 

Rowett will likely go onto have relatively successful career on the championship managerial merry go round, getting clubs some quick bounces of results and maybe a promotion or two. I doubt he'll have any lasting success at a club though, he's too self interested and lacking in vision to enact a plan for that.

Calling last season barely a par for finishing top 6 is a tad harsh given the competition.

Rowett isn’t alone with his short termism, without digging out the average Championship manager tenure stat it’s not long at all. I can understand why managers thinking of the short term over bringing through youth.  

He was given full backing by the club all the way, had all the time he wanted, even rewarded with a new contract but still chose to jump ship. His choice, and that maybe a path we see him take time and time again. As I say earlier I won’t lose any sleep over the loss.

Archived