What happens if Frank doesn’t play Chris Martin

Curtains

2 minutes ago, David said:

I only went as far as win percentages which you brought up, I didn’t look any deeper than that. Pretty lazy really as they are all meaningless without context. 

I wasn’t a Nigel Clough fan but his percentage includes the clean up job from Jewell and Davies, Clement had £30m worth of investment. To be honest my interest in the history of Birmingham City is on the same level as who wins that Love Island.

My argument isn’t really over was he successful or not, we all have our own individual targets that we judge managers despite what the club expect from the manager.

It’s the clueless stuff I’m against, the year of Dave Bassett Jr which he wasn’t, far from it.

I’m down with the snake stuff though, all day long ?

Yeah, the percentages probably wasn't that relevant from me either. 

I only tried to show HarrowRam how can a low 40% win ratio with no medals at any club and no legacy that at least two of them will talk about be classed as successful.

Always surprised at how low Clough's is. For 3 or so years I thought he did a good job but statistically it's terrible.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

There's a big gap between what Rowett played and what Mac played. 

I don't expect total football but Rowett built a counter attacking team that would try to counter when it wasn't on. Just careless kick and chase when teams weren't pushing on us. Way too often there was no care with the ball. No plan other than to counter their plan. I bet we only won 1 game from a losing position? 

For me i just imagined a future of that. Doing that in the PL. Watching us defend for 65-70% of the ball time. 

That doesn't make me want to give up Saturdays for. So what's the point? Fairly sure others felt the same and attendances would have reflected that.

Don't go saying that about attendances alpha...because what your own eyes may have told you,the drop was all down to an incorrect system of counting the fans....they were all there somewhere apparently....those big gaps were in your mind.

7 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

I think everyone wants to be entertained surely? Yes we all want promotion but if we go up like we did with Billy or like Cardiff you will be coming straight down.Going up like Fulham and Wolves have,give you a much better chance of doing well in the premier league and let’s face it more enjoyable to watch.I don’t expect Derby to play like Barcelona but I do expect us to play on the front foot with the ball played to feet not hoofed to the corner flag and hope for the best.

Of course and I have nothing against people that want to be entertained, just that Derby does not have a long history of playing this sexy attractive football. 

I honestly don’t think any style of football gives you a better chance of survival either, Burnley are in Europe this season. I remember the season the went up, they won’t keep it up, one injury, one defeat and it will knock them. Up they went and shithoused their way into Europe. 

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Don't go saying that about attendances alpha...because what your own eyes may have told you,the drop was all down to an incorrect system of counting the fans....they were all there somewhere apparently....those big gaps were in your mind.

I'll be honest, even though I had a season ticket, if the match was on Sky, I rarely went, it was just boring.

Just now, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

?

Tbf if we'd won our last 2 matches under Rowett we'd have sold out the ground for August. 

But it always felt like only results were keeping people coming. I know that is the case for everyone but more so for some than others. Whenever Derby lost under Rowett is was really a kick in the teeth because there were few positives in the performance. Where when Mac lost at least you could see the flaws. With Rowett I felt like fans knew the performances were no consolation when we didn't win?

4 minutes ago, David said:

Of course and I have nothing against people that want to be entertained, just that Derby does not have a long history of playing this sexy attractive football. 

I honestly don’t think any style of football gives you a better chance of survival either, Burnley are in Europe this season. I remember the season the went up, they won’t keep it up, one injury, one defeat and it will knock them. Up they went and shithoused their way into Europe. 

Definitely agree there's no right way to play. 

Surely it's matching the players to the system/style that wins the race?

In fairness to Rowett he never built a team. In fact that goes for most recent managers.

But then, he left the house half built and started painting Peter Coates mansion so feck him

10 minutes ago, David said:

Perhaps you're too young but many of us were bought up watching the best team in England play fab football!

15 minutes ago, David said:

I think this season might be tough trying to juggle Europe and the league.

Just now, Alpha said:

Definitely agree there's no right way to play. 

Surely it's matching the players to the system/style that wins the race?

In fairness to Rowett he never built a team. In fact that goes for most recent managers.

But then, he left the house half built and started painting Peter Coates mansion so feck him

Right players, in the right system with the right attitude is what wins the race.

Cardiff, Huddersfield, Burnley, Blackpool are just 4 sides that you would have looked at on paper and said no chance when they went up, but they did. Not because they had a £20m foreign striker or played a style that had purists drooling over the media desks.

They built teams. That’s something which Derby haven’t been able to nail for one reason and another.

6 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

I think this season might be tough trying to juggle Europe and the league.

Agreed. Could be Burnley’s downfall if they make the mistake in focusing on Europe over the league, players maybe saving themselves slightly for the mid week Europa League game. Not even made a signing yet have they? 

I enjoyed the performance against Mansfield town more than any in Rowetts reign. The Southampton game was awesome lol!!!

Pre Lampard, This season was the first season of my life where I just didn’t care, Rowett’s dull style led to me cancelling my Rams tv subscription etc - the young exciting team had been dismantled. We limped out at the playoffs and for the first time Mel didn’t pull the trigger, it was also the first time I wanted him to! I don’t mind stretegic defensive football at times, but it was all the time. I don’t enjoy winning if we don’t deserve to win ( or perhaps more importantly don’t try) and I felt like that most of the season. Ultimately for me Rowett lacked ambition in his management. Everyone back at corners sums him up as does our amazing two shots against Fulham. It was boring and pretty Depressing stuff...

The signing of Lampard has so far been a master stroke, he is trying to get the team playing the right way and fans are buying into it. I still think we will start slowly, but I think we will end the season well. 

Rams tv renewed, it’s going to be an exciting ride, whatever the outcome. 

I sense I am not alone in these thoughts! 

18 hours ago, David said:

Calling last season barely a par for finishing top 6 is a tad harsh given the competition.

Rowett isn’t alone with his short termism, without digging out the average Championship manager tenure stat it’s not long at all. I can understand why managers thinking of the short term over bringing through youth.  

He was given full backing by the club all the way, had all the time he wanted, even rewarded with a new contract but still chose to jump ship. His choice, and that maybe a path we see him take time and time again. As I say earlier I won’t lose any sleep over the loss.

I can see what you'd view it as harsh stance but personally I think after the pile of short term decisions he'd made and given his starting point, then a top 6 finish was the minimum goal.

Your right in that he isn't alone in his short term thinking however if you make short term decision and don't really get the results in the short term what's the point? He had no mind to developing the team long term despite all his BS that he was prone to spouting and arguably left us in a worse condition than what he found us. 

I think he saw us as a quick ticket to getting a promotion on his CV and once he realised that wasn't going to happen he jumped ship. 

In fairness my opinion of him is more than a little clouded by that he booted out Hughes to raise quick cash and the man had a nasty nasty habit of his words and actions not aligning. 

22 minutes ago, WilkoRam said:

So the Chris Martin thread is now about Rowett and I should go into the Bryson thread to talk about Martin?

I think the subtext of this thread meant it was always a little bit about Rowett - I agree though, conversation derailment is quite prevalent at the moment

Archived