Jack Marriott - Signed on a 3 year deal

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, thederbyram said:

Then why else do we have Cameron Jerome? Last 20 minutes, we've got that option, sorted.

Again - Fair point - But I prefer to have a couple of plans on the pitch already - So you could play to feet or to head - That way the opposition doesn't know what kind of ball you're going to play when the move starts - If you change your number 9 during the game the opposition knows what you're going to start doing (ie, with Jerome it goes high or in behind but try to avoid going to feet cos his passing isn't great)

6 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Again - Fair point - But I prefer to have a couple of plans on the pitch already - So you could play to feet or to head - That way the opposition doesn't know what kind of ball you're going to play when the move starts - If you change your number 9 during the game the opposition knows what you're going to start doing (ie, with Jerome it goes high or in behind but try to avoid going to feet cos his passing isn't great)

I think that's what Tammy Abraham would bring. But there really aren't that many championship-level players who can do both and work in a high-press game. Marriott would be settling on someone shorter, but for more impact in the other areas of the game.

The long ball game is more a defensive strategy than an offensive one.

Launching it long towards your centre forward is unlikely to result in your team retaining possession. 

It does give you territorial advantage like in rugby. If your CF can put pressure on defenders such that he wins the header or puts off his opponent then there's often a scramble for the second ball.

If you are bringing on a big guy looking for goals, you should be thinking in terms of more crosses from the wing rather than long balls from your half.

2 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

The long ball game is more a defensive strategy than an offensive one.

Launching it long towards your centre forward is unlikely to result in your team retaining possession. 

It does give you territorial advantage like in rugby. If your CF can put pressure on defenders such that he wins the header or puts off his opponent then there's often a scramble for the second ball.

If you are bringing on a big guy looking for goals, you should be thinking in terms of more crosses from the wing rather than long balls from your half.

I still think martin will be a good short term answer cause we all know he is one of the best with the ball at his feet.can he come up with the goods im not sure as we all know hes never gonna run the channels but gonna be intresting to see what frank can do with him if anything at all.

Seen Marriott a couple of times and the local Posh fans down the pub seem to agree with me that he does seem ridiculously overpriced.

Mind you, at the time I thought the same when the cash was splashed on Charlie George, Roy McFarland,Mark Wright, Shilton, Nish, Stimac, , Gabbiadini, Rioch, Todd, Saunders, Davison, Hector, Gemmill, McMinn and even Eranio on a free transfer were all in my opinion vastly overpriced!!!!!

Archived