Raheem Sterling - Naive, Stupid or No-one else's business

Gaspode

Raheem Sterling - Naive, Stupid or No-one else's business?  

115 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Media in melt-down this morning over Raheem Sterling's M16 tattoo - ignoring the fact that (yet again) the UK media seem determined to do whatever it takes to cause as much disruption to the England squad prior to a major tournament, is Sterling a bit naive? is he too thick to realise the outrage the tattoo would cause?, or is it no-one's business what he has inked on his body? Interested to know what folk think.....

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This tattoo is probably a bit naive but calls for him to withdraw himself from the World Cup squad is ridiculous. And the media attention and bullying of Sterling is quite frankly embarrassing.

He's mocked for being tired. Mocked for spending too much money. Mocked for not spending enough money. Mocked for having ducking breakfast.

There's a fascination from certain rags in dragging our player's names through the dirt at any given opportunity and I really don't get it. 

26 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Media in melt-down this morning over Raheem Sterling's M16 tattoo - ignoring the fact that (yet again) the UK media seem determined to do whatever it takes to cause as much disruption to the England squad prior to a major tournament, is Sterling a bit naive? is he too thick to realise the outrage the tattoo would cause?, or is it no-one's business what he has inked on his body? Interested to know what folk think.....

Have you seen the reason why he has got the tattoo? 

Why is it offensive? and Who to? Cannot be offensive or insensitive to the masses here in the UK. So only insensitive in USA, but hardly an event in comparison to some of the NRA-funded propaganda going out there. Did anyone see the newsreel of the toddler loading the machine gun and pulling the trigger?

This kid gets bashed left, right and centre and he doesn't deserve it. If you turn on the TV tonight, you wouldn't get 10 clicks of the remote without landing on something with a gun in. Likewise, computer games, armed forces etc. Guns exist, why pretend they don't all of a sudden

13 minutes ago, rynny said:

Have you seen the reason why he has got the tattoo? 

I've seen what he's said since it hit the papers - though there is an argument that if he has to explain it, the 'deeper meaning' is lost and it's just a picture of a gun....also, if you've lost someone close due to gun crime, why on earth would you pick a gun to commemorate it? The 'reason' he's given seems more than a little tenuous...

My own view is that he can do what he wants on his own body - but he's naive to have something like that and not expect some stick given the high profile that he is.... though the media over-reaction is sickening...

I want to say naive but then I find myself arguing against that, what you can’t argue against is that it’s his body, his choice.

As footballers they are seen to be role models, you kind of have to accept that as part of the job, even if you don’t see yourself as a role model that kids should look up to. Is that fair?

Regardless of the story behind the tattoo, it could be seen by kids that guns are “cool”, not really the message you want to send out.

To argue against that you have millions of kids picking up games such as Call of Duty each year, is that not the same, making guns look “cool”.

Now I’m back at it’s his body, his choice where this all should have started and ended. Typical English press sitting on a 3 month old tattoo to “expose” 2 weeks before the World Cup. The sad thing is we are giving them the attention they are looking for when it would be far better to not buy, don’t click, share or even discuss. Complete blackout, same goes for that Mr Burns down the road.

18 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I've seen what he's said since it hit the papers - though there is an argument that if he has to explain it, the 'deeper meaning' is lost and it's just a picture of a gun....also, if you've lost someone close due to gun crime, why on earth would you pick a gun to commemorate it? The 'reason' he's given seems more than a little tenuous...

My own view is that he can do what he wants on his own body - but he's naive to have something like that and not expect some stick given the high profile that he is.... though the media over-reaction is sickening...

If it isn't finished maybe we wait to see the final outcome before making comment. 

I personally love tattoos and it is one with great meaning.

I shoot with my right leg rather than a gun.

Also with it being unfinished it may bare even more resemblance to the meaning he wants to portray.

All in all The Sun is a worse read than used bog roll

53 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

there is an argument that if he has to explain it, the 'deeper meaning' is lost and it's just a picture...

And let's be honest - this applies to almost EVERY tattoo that anyone has

At least he's getting that "I'm starting to regret the naff tattoo I had done when i was in my early 20s" thing out of the way much quicker than most.

He's definitely stupid, but whatever stupid crap he wants to get inked onto his body is own business.

I don't understand his reasoning for the tattoo though. My dad died of liver failure, but I don't think the best way to commemorate him is to get a pint tattooed on my leg.

7 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Just reminds me of Gascoigne and the dentists chair incident before the Euros. Gascoigne ha the last laugh of course with that wonderful goal celebration. 

Looking forward to similar creativity from the England squad when Raheem next scores. ?

I wouldn’t hold your breath. 

The Sun & The Mail really are staffed by utter pond life.  Their repeated bashing of the lad is not only racist, but a little creepy as well.  I've been critical of him in the past, but this season Pep has taken him to another level and they should just STFU and let him play football...

36 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

The Sun & The Mail really are staffed by utter pond life.  Their repeated bashing of the lad is not only racist, but a little creepy as well.  I've been critical of him in the past, but this season Pep has taken him to another level and they should just STFU and let him play football...

Good news is that it won't be long until most sun and mail readers are dead of old age.

Archived