If it’s Frank

archied
Message added by Day

If it is Frank  

620 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 minutes ago, AutoWindscreens said:

I don't get it. As you accept, you're just guessing. You could swap the names round and it might be just as good a guess.

Not quite. I used Elsnik as the example because he's a midfielder. Lampard will identify his strengths and weaknesses far quicker than Wassall, even though Wassall has been coaching him for years.

Or he may look at him and say, no, not going to make the grade and sell him.

My point is more, who will Elsnik be more excited about? Who will any of the youth team be more excited about? Those youth players need to step up, and that hasn't happened for years. Two or three have made it into the first team and stayed there. They need a breath of fresh air, someone they really look up to and respect. Someone to catch the eye of.

That definitely isn't Wassall.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Yes. Wasall got a 50% win ratio in his time with us. Hasn’t scored 150+ prem  goals though so is automatically a crap manager.

Hasn't developed any of the youth team to be good enough for the first team.

Didn't have the respect of the first team players.

His team didn't show up for the first leg of the play-off's.

But he had a 50% win ratio, so he's automatically a better manager. He's got stacks of experience and he still can't motivate!

If we hire Wassall the place will be as depressing as the tone he sets in interviews.

Edit: In nineteen years Wassall played 213 games. Scoring 1 goal - My good god. Did nothing as a player (at all) and has so far done nothing as a coach.

1 minute ago, Super Johnny Russell said:

But he had a 50% win ratio, so he's automatically a better manager. He's got stacks of experience and he still can't motivate!

If we hire Wassall the place will be as depressing as the tone he sets in interviews.

Most importantly he chose to play a full strength team v Ipswich in the meaningless last game of the season. Including George Thorne who was pivotal to our team as the only holding mid we had. George got broken , unforgivably stupid team selection 

51 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Every club in the world is a stepping stone apart from Real Madrid, Barcelona, Man City and PSG, the latter two due to the money they have. If Lampard is wanted then that would mean that he would be doing a decent job here. 

Exactly.

Although there are exceptions, for example I suspect Chelsea would possibly be an exception for Lampard. Derby will never be an exception, unless one of us on here becomes a manager!

My question to all the "stepping stone" cynics is, if Lampard is genuinely successful with us is it not possible he could see it as a single leap and wait for the Chelsea opportunity? I don't think a good season in the Championship would see a brand new manager suddenly become a wanted man, he'd still be a huge risk to clubs on the verge of relegation etc. panicking to stay up. 

So realistically, he wouldn't become "hot property" until we got promoted, if that were to occur. And if that success continues, how many stepping stones would he perceive between Derby and Chelsea (where we know he wants to end up)? 

Worst case scenario if he's remotely successful: He's exactly like every other manager and leaves to the next, slightly more prosperous opportunity as soon as he can. We haven't suffered for having him in.

Best case scenario if he's remotely successful: He believes he's capable of proving he's worthy of a chance at a Chelsea (or bigger club) with Derby, and see's no reason to risk the excitement being generated about his career by moving on to a middle-man-club. This is an option that's far less likely to get with an experienced manager.

If he's completely useless we'll go for one of these boring "experienced" options people are banding about. Just let us have some fun goddamnit. 

14 minutes ago, Super Johnny Russell said:

******** - the first team is far too populated to give them opportunity. There are multiple youths good enough for the first team, over 5 of them (when not on loan) train full-time with the first team.

Conjecture.

True.

He motivated perfectly well in the second leg of the play-offs.

You're as depressing as the tone he sets in interviews!

That said, I wouldn't want Wassall as our new manager - I think he's happy with the U23s and the U23s are happy with him. I just think most of the criticism he gets is nonsense. 

The excitement of the unknown is what Lampard brings. The media attention on Derby will be superb. All of a sudden we will become a focus for many people. Lampard will have countless contacts built up from playing at the top level. There will be 3 or 4 top quality loans coming in. Its a gamble for sure but one well worth taking in my opinion. It will lift the fans all summer and I think its what the Derby fans need now. It will unite the fans. 

Think we forget Lampard spent a good amount of time in the US as well, plenty of experience travelling and has worked with some of the best managers or this era. Can't be much worse next year short of relegation and we're entering an exciting time of change at the club 

58 minutes ago, Super Johnny Russell said:

Edit: In nineteen years Wassall played 213 games. Scoring 1 goal - My good god. Did nothing as a player (at all) and has so far done nothing as a coach.

I’m not saying Wasall should be given the job but I think he gets a bit of a raw deal from Derby fans. We’ve had far worse at Derby than Wassal. 

Frank could certainly teach us route one football against which there is no defence.

Not too sure that he could teach the defence much!

Maybe he could get them to try and stop some of his rocket shots.

He may not be a proven manager yet but he is sure to encourage open, entertaining football.

6 minutes ago, steve brummie said:

Frank could certainly teach us route one football against which there is no defence.

Not too sure that he could teach the defence much!

Maybe he could get them to try and stop some of his rocket shots.

He may not be a proven manager yet but he is sure to encourage open, entertaining football.

Why though? Whenever I've seen Chelsea play they've been pretty organised and methodical, relying on the brilliance of the front players to score a couple, followed by bus parking to see the game through. The problem is, without brilliant forwards, those tactics soon descend into possession based tippy-tappy stuff. I reckon that Lampard's Derby would look far more like Clement's than McClaren's.

Lampard brings what he brings to what would be "Frank Lampard's Derby County" and I'd be happy with that and the excitement of the unknown, with a tremendous young ex-player at the helm.

I had thought Rowett was Mel's last throw of the dice and that was one reason Gary would not be sacked, despite the pragmatic football we played for most of last season. But Gary has scuppered that. However, whenever it comes to it, Wassall will really be Mel's last throw of the dice. If it's true that next season is intended to see a focus on youth with a tightening of purse strings, then Wassall is a logical choice.

I agree with the comments on here that he gets a raw deal from many fans, but I shall perhaps add to that by saying it was his catastrophic team and clearly idiotic team selection (Hughes and Thorne) for the final Ipswich game of the season that lost us George Thorne and the playoffs. I'm sure he regrets it now. Appointing Wassall would be a let down as he doesn't have the glamour of supercool Frank, but he would be a better option than many of the old guard from the managerial merry-go-round.

If we're not getting Laudrup, Flores or Garcia, I choose Frank, but Darren would be better than many/most of the others.

4 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Why though? Whenever I've seen Chelsea play they've been pretty organised and methodical, relying on the brilliance of the front players to score a couple, followed by bus parking to see the game through. The problem is, without brilliant forwards, those tactics soon descend into possession based tippy-tappy stuff. I reckon that Lampard's Derby would look far more like Clement's than McClaren's.

They don't always manage like the guys they played under. I saw nothing of Jim Smith in Rowett. We have no idea what Lampard would do and that is the exciting part. Far better than all those been round the block managers who do the same old carp under a different badge.

7 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

They don't always manage like the guys they played under. I saw nothing of Jim Smith in Rowett. We have no idea what Lampard would do and that is the exciting part. Far better than all those been round the block managers who do the same old carp under a different badge.

But why Lampard compared to a thousand other ex-players? Why is a one in a hundred shot that he might be good exciting? Just seems like star struck nonsense to be.

Archived