If it’s Frank

archied
Message added by Day

If it is Frank  

620 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, CornwallRam said:

106 caps in a very unsuccessful England team.

He was better for Chelsea, but consistently poor for England.

Unsuccessful in terms of honours won but individually, we had some cracking players. In a couple weeks we'll have Jordan Henderson and Eric bloody Dier starting in the England midfielder. Frank was better than both of those put together. To get 106 caps for England at any stage suggests you can't be that bad. To get it when your competition includes Gerrard and Scholes makes it a bigger achievement.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He may not be cool, but to paraphrase Arry...... Ee's a breffof fresh air.  I really hope Mel secures him as manager, will get maximum performance out of any players who aren't Stoke bound, and bring in some interesting loans like KP for a whole season.

47 minutes ago, eddie said:

Blaming a manager for a player breaking his leg is one of the more nonsensical posts it has recently been my misfortune to be subjected to. Well played (if you were going misère).

Players who are struggling for fitness have a greater risk of injury than those who are fully fit. Players are three times more likely to be injured playing a match than in training. Both Will Hughes and George Thorne were battling back from serious injury to help the team, and their return had seen an upturn in form to guarantee us a playoff match against Hull. If I recall both had played five games in a row to put us in that position. 

Looking ahead to the playoffs, what Wassall's team selection decreed was that, if the Rams were to get promoted, both would now have to play nine games in a row on the way back from long term issues. Will was returning from ACL surgery (so much for easing him back in gently). George was a bit further on returning from double ACL surgery, but had demonstrated through the season he wasn't yet capable of stringing together a long run of matches. 

Thorne's leg break was cruel and unfortunate but either or both Thorne and Hughes were likely to break down at some point before the end of the playoff campaign because Wassall chose not to give their bodies the rest they both so obviously needed. None of this is hindsight - all said in the days running up to the Ipswich match. 

Wassall seemed to be thinking only one game at a time instead of considering the intense three-match playoff campaign ahead. It was a stupid decision. I like Wassall but on balance I think Lampard is smarter and won't make such obviously stupid decisions. It does look as if it'll be Frank. 

2 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

He may not be cool, but to paraphrase Arry...... Ee's a breffof fresh air.  I really hope Mel secures him as manager, will get maximum performance out of any players who aren't Stoke bound, and bring in some interesting loans like KP for a whole season.

Interesting loans is one thing. He might even play them...

19 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I tell you what - firstly, that's an incredible insight into how football used to be. I'd not seen that before. 

But also, a 17/18 y.o. Lampard dealt with that situation incredibly well haha - Poker faced throughout! 

+1 to respect for FL

Yep I agree - Harry was dead right though with his prediction 

13 minutes ago, CROSSWORD said:

Just that nagging feeling just how many great players make successful managers tho.

Im not against the lad anyone we get will be an improvement.

Gattuso, Koeman, Laudrup, Rijkaard, Enrique, Guardiola.

Yeah I know there's different levels of success in those examples, but the recently retired player/new manager thing is the 'now'.

Being the first team to take on a 'golden generation' player as a manager is a great thing for Derby, no matter what the outcome may be.

We could go down the experienced English manager route, and be better off, but if Lampard being appointed Derby manager doesn't excite you (not you personally) then, well.......what's the point?.

More than 72% of our fans polled would be happy for the club to take a wild punt in the dark on a total novice like Lampard. That seems incredibly optimistic to me. 

I guess that's the effect of Rowett's departure.....the club is swamped in a joyous flood of optimism.

3 minutes ago, Highgate said:

More than 72% of our fans polled would be happy for the club to take a wild punt in the dark on a total novice like Lampard. That seems incredibly optimistic to me. 

I guess that's the effect of Rowett's departure.....the club is swamped in a joyous flood of optimism.

You assume that "being happy" implies that 72% expect it to be successful, which is not the case.

8 minutes ago, Super Johnny Russell said:

Gattuso, Koeman, Laudrup, Rijkaard, Enrique, Guardiola.

Yeah I know there's different levels of success in those examples, but the recently retired player/new manager thing is the 'now'.

Being the first team to take on a 'golden generation' player as a manager is a great thing for Derby, no matter what the outcome may be.

We could go down the experienced English manager route, and be better off, but if Lampard being appointed Derby manager doesn't excite you (not you personally) then, well.......what's the point?.

Why do you think that is the case?  Surely, whether or not it's a great thing for Derby depends on the outcome of his managerial reign at Derby.  Are we such an insecure club now that the height of our ambition is to be associated with a big name former player?

No matter what manager is in charge, isn't it still all about performances and results on the pitch, not ephemeral media hype?

12 minutes ago, Highgate said:

True but in a football world where managers last a year, and there’s no clear criteria for success, to paraphrase Cloughie, why not believe in fairies?

41 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I watch 13 year old girls wetting themselves 

That’s a slightly scary admission. 

I wasn’t particularly a fan of Lampard as a player, mainly because I don’t follow England or Chelsea, and I don’t see the current excitement being anything to do with him being ‘cool’ either.

His appointment would hopefully be more to do with his experience, standing and connections in the game, and is exciting fans because it shows that we’re finally willing to think outside the box, after an excruciating season largely spent camped within it. 

1 minute ago, Highgate said:

Why do you think that is the case?  Surely, whether or not it's a great thing for Derby depends on the outcome of his managerial reign at Derby.  Are we such an insecure club now that the height of our ambition is to be associated with a big name former player?

No matter what manager is in charge, isn't it still all about performances and results on the pitch, not ephemeral media hype?

Long term, of course.

But right now, this is definitely a great thing for Derby. Even if it only last until September/October. It will create a buzz around the place, he'll attract so much more to the club than a Dean Smith or Wassall. How can that not be good?.

You're not insecure if you're prepared to take a gamble and be the first to try something others wouldn't dare. That's brave.

Lampard will have more drive to succeed than anyone else on the list. He wants the Chelsea job one day, so he needs to be successful.

Personally I cannot wait. I think we'll see mistakes, we'll lose games, we'll win some games, but more than anything we will see something different. Whatever the long term outcome, I genuinely believe that we are doing what's right and good for Derby NOW if he's appointed.

9 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Are we such an insecure club now that the height of our ambition is to be associated with a big name former player?

I like this comment. Not sure I agree it's the case, but I relate cos I felt the same about the over-reaction to losing in the cup when we might then have played Spurs at Wembley, as if getting Wembley was an achievement, which it isn't, unless it's a Final.

12 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Which is exactly what you want when appointing a manager is it not? The fans being optimistic rather than pessimistic which hasn't been the case for a while now sadly. 

Would the experienced Mick McCarthy see the same levels of optimism or would we be dragging our heels into the new season fearing the worse?

If one of the checkboxes for the club was to bring excitement back to the club with the next appointment, they can tick that one off as complete. ✔️

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

You assume that "being happy" implies that 72% expect it to be successful, which is not the case.

Not quite, I don't think there are too many Derby fans naive enough to 'expect' success at this stage.  But i did think that 'being happy' meant that those fans think that a Lampard appointment is as good, or nearly as good as can be made at present, given the realistic candidates available.  

That's where the optimism comes in, thinking he may be as good as established managers, despite the fact we really don't have a clue whether he's a potential Guardiola or a potential Neville.

Archived