If it’s Frank

archied
Message added by Day

If it is Frank  

620 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, curtains said:

What about Clough or Shakespeare former Leicester coach 

Not for me.

Clough wouldn't get a fair shake of it from the fans, and Shakespeare although an experienced Assistant, has only managed Leicester, which didn't go well.

For us, it seems that it's one of two approaches - we either go for the impact signing - Lampard, or we go for the experience - Smith, Cook, Loaf

Realistically, I could get onboard with any of those four - but as you say, massive risk attached to Frank.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Every appointment is a risk, worst he could do is sell our best players for peanuts, replace them with journeymen, play tedious boring football and then buggar off when someone comes in with more dollar in his pay packet.

Anything better than that is a bonus ?

I don’t necessarily hate it but it’s a massive gamble I wouldn’t take 

Up to Mel 

He was my favorite player to be honest was Frank 

1 minute ago, StaffsRam said:

Not for me.

Clough wouldn't get a fair shake of it from the fans, and Shakespeare although an experienced Assistant, has only managed Leicester, which didn't go well.

For us, it seems that it's one of two approaches - we either go for the impact signing - Lampard, or we go for the experience - Smith, Cook, Loaf

Realistically, I could get onboard with any of those four - but as you say, massive risk attached to Frank.

Has Frank got his coaching badges yet 

20 minutes ago, curtains said:

Would be a massive risk this 

Is it really though curtains ? Massive risk? Worst case scenario is relegation problems and they are not exclusive to lampard not getting it right ,, could happen to any of the other candidates ,,, middle scenario,we don’t gain promotion ,,, lots are not overly fussed with promotion and we are the most high profile championship club worldwide into the bargain ,, best case ,,, he hits the ground running , rides the buzz and we go up ,,, 

yes we taking a punt on him not having managed before but In our current position as a club I’m struggling to see it as a massive risk and we’ve gone safe plenty of times and got disaster  so I’m up for the ride if we bring him in ,,,and happy to put my hands up and take some flak on here  if it goes tits up 

5 minutes ago, archied said:

Is it really though curtains ? Massive risk? Worst case scenario is relegation problems and the are no exclusive to lampard not getting it right ,, could happen to any of the other candidates ,,, middle scenario,we don’t gain promotion ,,, lots are not overly fussed with promotion and we are the most high profile championship club worldwide into the bargain ,, best case ,,, he hits the ground running , rides the buzz and we go up ,,, 

yes we taking a punt on him not having managed before but In our current position as a club I’m struggling to see it as a massive risk and we’ve gone safe plenty of times and got disaster  so I’m up for the ride if we bring him in ,,,and happy to put my hands up and take some flak on here  if it goes tits up 

The voting looks pretty conclusive on here 

As I say I’m not necessarily against it but voted no at this time 

He could do a great job so if Mel decides it’s ok well that’s it. 

I am thinking  Nigel Clough or Craig Shakespeare would be a good fit but whoever it is will get my support.

Need to get  this right Mel no pressure .

Looking forward to next season anyway whatever 

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

I don’t necessarily hate it but it’s a massive gamble I wouldn’t take 

Up to Mel 

He was my favorite player to be honest was Frank 

I think it could galvanise the club, he seems to be pulling a lot of fans in, not sure why as he has no managerial background, yet there seems to be an air of excitement around the club and not just us keyboard warriors.

Appointing a Clough or Sharkspeare is not going to have the same impact, and with what’s gone on in the last year we need some fresh impetus, which I beleive he will bring.

2 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

I think it could galvanise the club, he seems to be pulling a lot of fans in, not sure why as he has no managerial background, yet there seems to be an air of excitement around the club and not just us keyboard warriors.

Appointing a Clough or Sharkspeare is not going to have the same impact, and with what’s gone on in the last year we need some fresh impetus, which I beleive he will bring.

I’m hoping Mel can decide after the interviews who he thinks fits and not go with hysteria 

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

I’m hoping Mel can decide after the interviews who he thinks fits and not go with hysteria 

Get on the frankie train, after a year of defending ?, put that to rest and look to how we have had such a lucky escape, get excited about the prospect of being entertained again, young exciting talent coming into the club and the prospect of a manager getting the club to go in the right direction.

Of course Mel hasn’t got a good track record so who knows who we will end up with.

Just now, AdamRam said:

Get on the frankie train, after a year of defending ?, put that to rest and look to how we have had such a lucky escape, get excited about the prospect of being entertained again, young exciting talent coming into the club and the prospect of a manager getting the club to go in the right direction.

Of course Mel hasn’t got a good track record so who knows who we will end up with.

Like I say the only thing that bothers me is his experience and will he want money to spend and how expensive will he be. 

He was my favorite player so I love the guy but is he the answer. 

There are still Derby fans who wax lyrical about McClaren. Yet McClaren couldn't coach Lampard and Co. to a European Championship in 2008.

Nothing is guaranteed in football.

Lampard isn't going to be a guaranteed success, but neither are any of the 'experienced' candidates.

What you do get with Lampard is 'been there and done it' which basically means all the egos have to pipe down and work hard (not sure they would for Dean Smith if they don't like his methods). He has contacts for on and off the pitch staff. He's 39 and recently retired so will be able to relate to the younger pro's and the ageing pro's. And as I've said in other posts, he'll bring experience of some kind with him.

And with the general opinion being that he himself lacks experience, then it will be pretty obvious from the start how he plans to play football so everyone should get behind him.

Just going to leave this here.

In December 2006, at the age of 29, Howe was promoted to the position of player-coach by manager Kevin Bond, and handed the task of coaching Bournemouth's reserve team, though he continued to play in the first team. He retired from football in summer 2007, after he was unable to recover from a knee injury.[10] In September 2008, Howe lost his job when Bond was sacked as manager.[5]

Howe returned to Bournemouth as a youth coach under Jimmy Quinn and took over as caretaker manager when Quinn was sacked on 31 December 2008.[11] Even though his two games in charge as caretaker manager were away defeats, he was hired as the permanent manager of the club on 19 January 2009 and brought the club out of the relegation zone despite a 17-point deficit.

In the start of the 2009–10 season, Howe won eight out of the nine games, a club record. In November 2009, Championship club Peterborough United approached Howe to replace Darren Ferguson as their manager but Howe rejected their approach.[12]

Despite the club's transfer embargo remaining in place for the rest of the season, Bournemouth secured promotion to League One after two years in the fourth tier of English football thanks to a 2–0 away win at Burton Albion on 24 April 2010.[13]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Howe

Every ex pro wont be the next Howe, nor will they be the next Shearer. Football is a game full of risk taking and gambling, there is no bankers, only wa....ahem. Anyway.

Example Elsnik.....

Scenario Wassall: Don't take any risks. I want you to keep possession of the ball, even if that means going sideways and backwards. Hold your position. Target for the season, ten first team appearances.

Scenario Lampard: I want you to take risks, drive forward, get the ball out wide and arrive late into the box. Target for the season, get yourself ten goals.

All hypothetical, but I think you get my drift.

9 minutes ago, Super Johnny Russell said:

Example Elsnik.....

Scenario Wassall: Don't take any risks. I want you to keep possession of the ball, even if that means going sideways and backwards. Hold your position. Target for the season, ten first team appearances.

Scenario Lampard: I want you to take risks, drive forward, get the ball out wide and arrive late into the box. Target for the season, get yourself ten goals.

I don't get it. As you accept, you're just guessing. You could swap the names round and it might be just as good a guess.

11 minutes ago, Super Johnny Russell said:

Example Elsnik.....

Wasn’t Wassall’s football more end to end attacking football (closer to Mac I than Clement)

Archived