Lampard too expensive?

Topram

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not at this level. Weighed against Lamps 'success' and knowledge - weighs similar.

Are you being serious Roy Mac or taking the pi*s? I know you are chuffed to bits that GR has left but can we have just a little bit of common sense in the discussion.....

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Are you being serious Roy Mac or taking the pi*s? I know you are chuffed to bits that GR has left but can we have just a little bit of common sense in the discussion.....

Who knows what Lamps can do and bring? It's as likely to succeed as other suggestions and more exciting.

5 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Well it certainly worked for Birmingham with Zola.

OMG I'd forgotten that one. 

Legends from history, Bobby Charlton & Bobby Moore turned out to be terrible managers

But I'm now of the mind that just some excitement on & off the pitch is worth the risk, even if it's not Lampard but someone else. A manager who has the belief and confidence to attack the opposition and not to just protect what you've got 

2 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

OMG I'd forgotten that one. 

Legends from history, Bobby Charlton & Bobby Moore turned out to be terrible managers

But I'm now of the mind that just some excitement on & off the pitch is worth the risk, even if it's not Lampard but someone else. A manager who has the belief and confidence to attack the opposition and not to just protect what you've got 

Is Lampard a legend like the 2 Bobby's???

3 hours ago, Saity said:

Lampard is now 11/10 favourite.

......please No!!! ....a rookie cutting his teeth making errors ,learning the ropes etc etc not knowing the championship and we don't have a clue as to what style of footy we'll see.....NO!!! Please NO!!! I just don't get how he is a viable candidate...He's never managed and surely we need someone with some experience.......

Exactly. What's his "world experience?". He's led a closeted life in the football bubble where a £50 quid bottle of champagne is for tipping over his mate's head because there's plenty more where that came from. I suspect that Nigel C might describe him as a "fancy Dann". We need somebody with people skills...and management nouse and hunger in his belly, not a belly full of oysters and chablis. 

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Exactly. What's his "world experience?". He's led a closeted life in the football bubble where a £50 quid bottle of champagne is for tipping over his mate's head because there's plenty more where that came from. I suspect that Nigel C might describe him as a "fancy Dann". We need somebody with people skills...and management nouse and hunger in his belly, not a belly full of oysters and chablis. 

Agree. We need an every man who can talk to our salt-of-the-earth lads on 50k a week, rather than somebody who is used to earning lots of money in football. 

Lamps will bring enormous publicity, a wealth of contacts and some general goodwill. He comes off as a lovely bloke too.

Not my first choice, and certainly a real roll of the dice, but I can't say I'm not excited at the prospect. 

Am staggered this idea is actually gaining some traction.

There a number of challenges with this squad & football club which a number of managers have been unable to solve including an ex-England manager, a man who laid the foundations of a Premiership winning team & an ex-Real Madrid number 2. I have no idea why the next logical step is to give the job to someone with no prior managerial experience on the basis of 'well, everyone has failed...why not. At least he's exciting'. Where's the plan with that? Just wing it?

Lampard's high IQ is also totally irrelevant to the position. Football management involves a whole range of skills - communication & motivation being two of the key attributes that have nothing to do with a MENSA test. 

We need a manager to work to a budget, adopt an attractive style of play & placate a demanding fanbase & chairman. A novice manager will inevitably want to try things & make many mistakes before they settle on a style that suits them - totally understandable but the place to do that is not at Derby County.

Just now, LeedsCityRam said:

We need a manager to work to a budget, adopt an attractive style of play & placate a demanding fanbase & chairman. A novice manager will inevitably want to try things & make many mistakes before they settle on a style that suits them - totally understandable but the place to do that is not at Derby County.

Agree with many points in your post, but I’m not sure about this one. If we are due a slashing of the wage bill, a dampening of expectations will come with it. The remit will be slash the wage bill and keep us in the top 21 next season. That is arguably an environment ripe for a young manager wanting breathing space to make mistakes. 

I doubt the Lampard rumours are true, but if we’re going to be trimming this summer, we’re going to be able to attract people with something to prove. Our realistic short list will be Has Beens and Not Yets.

2 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Am staggered this idea is actually gaining some traction.

There a number of challenges with this squad & football club which a number of managers have been unable to solve including an ex-England manager, a man who laid the foundations of a Premiership winning team & an ex-Real Madrid number 2. I have no idea why the next logical step is to give the job to someone with no prior managerial experience on the basis of 'well, everyone has failed...why not. At least he's exciting'. Where's the plan with that? Just wing it?

Lampard's high IQ is also totally irrelevant to the position. Football management involves a whole range of skills - communication & motivation being two of the key attributes that have nothing to do with a MENSA test. 

Really good post.

As an aside, there could be a lot at stake for Mel Morris here too. Another bad appointment and the fans will starting saying that we're worse off thanks to his tenure.

Archived