Manager revolving door will keep happening

Curtains

23 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Jumped ship because he knows there’s a massive job on at Derby next year. If he ain’t up to it then good riddence 

Or simply left because, with Stoke's parachute payment compared with our well publicised financial restraints, he sees a better potential to manage in the prem down the road. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, curtains said:

NC is brilliant with bringing young players through though. 

Yes but IMO that was the ONLY positive with Nigel.. He definately had the minerals to throw someone in. Possibly the best at giving youth a chance.

However the rest was shocking. The handling of Cywka after the Pompey game was abysmal. If you are honest and wrote a list of positives and negatives, the negatives would far exceed positives.

5 minutes ago, curtains said:

I’m already over it the battle is lost. 

Good luck Gary we move on I’m a Derby fan. 

PS We made top 6 despite Gary then ! 

I think top 6 was always achievable mate , apart from Wolves and Fulham i didn't see much to worry about in the division this season and thought it was pretty poor on the whole...this was proved when we went umpteen games without a victory yet still kept in the top 6 ... i know you liked GR i get that but at times this season i was bored rigid and made the journey home hard.... i just think we can do better Curtains.....chin up mate we'll be ok 

5 minutes ago, curtains said:

I’m already over it the battle is lost. 

Good luck Gary we move on I’m a Derby fan. 

PS We made top 6 despite Gary then ! 

This thread would be better if you did not feel the need to respond so often .. 

Just now, curtains said:

It was after a forum at Pride Park in the Yard .

It was a question pointedly asking him if he got fed up with criticism on his style of play  

Leaving wasn’t mentioned we were 2nd in the League and he was still being criticized 

A long time ago then and not a fact as to why he is leaving like you suggested. I know you’re upset by his departure Curtains, not too happy myself, and whilst I hope whoever is appointed next gets the full fan base backing him from the start, you can’t turn this all on the fans for being critical of his football. 

Stoke have just been relegated, they have sellable assets plus parachute payments, if you put yourself in a neutrals position it’s understandable why he would leave. Rowett is a neutral, someone said it best earlier an employee of the club, I’m sure he will be telling the Stoke fans how it’s his dream job, always had a soft spot for Stoke and the fans, who knows he may have a little dig back comparing support.

Whoever walks into the Pride Park press room will have the same lines, make us feel special and a sell us the dream of this great future ahead together. But they will still just be an employee of the club that in 12 months time would walk down the road for an extra tenner. That’s football. 

Oh, and let’s not forget you can be just as critical of the management when you’re not happy, so glass houses and all that. Take this one on the chin mate and move on ?

28 minutes ago, curtains said:

Mate he really is the man now. 

I remember when he drove away from Pride Park in his hired van and thought great. 

I have changed my mind 

Whether he would come back well that’s another story. 

Yes Clough could possibly sort out the problems at the club as he did before but any manager given the same amount of time he had should be able to do the same.

The team Clough eventually assembled was good but it needed a better coach than him to make them better. As Mac proved by taking them to Wembley and thats why Clough was sacked.

Do you really want to go through the same scenario?

I don't.

2 minutes ago, David said:

A long time ago then and not a fact as to why he is leaving like you suggested. I know you’re upset by his departure Curtains, not too happy myself, and whilst I hope whoever is appointed next gets the full fan base backing him from the start, you can’t turn this all on the fans for being critical of his football. 

Stoke have just been relegated, they have sellable assets plus parachute payments, if you put yourself in a neutrals position it’s understandable why he would leave. Rowett is a neutral, someone said it best earlier an employee of the club, I’m sure he will be telling the Stoke fans how it’s his dream job, always had a soft spot for Stoke and the fans, who knows he may have a little dig back comparing support.

Whoever walks into the Pride Park press room will have the same lines, make us feel special and a sell us the dream of this great future ahead together. But they will still just be an employee of the club that in 12 months time would walk down the road for an extra tenner. That’s football. 

Oh, and let’s not forget you can be just as critical of the management when you’re not happy, so glass houses and all that. Take this one on the chin mate and move on ?

Of course I already admitted I criticized Nigel and I also criticized Gary .

Hey good post David. 

1 minute ago, 1of4 said:

Yes Clough could possibly sort out the problems at the club as he did before but any manager given the same amount of time he had should be able to do the same.

The team Clough eventually assembled was good but it needed a better coach than him to make them better. As Mac proved by taking them to Wembley and thats why Clough was sacked.

Do you really want to go through the same scenario. 

Nigel has been round the block since then .

Yes is the answer I would give him another chance in retrospect.

I don’t think we could get him back anyway. 

As another poster said this thread would be better without my constant answering questions 

Cheers for a bit. 

43 minutes ago, curtains said:

It’s a wish now 

Really think he’s the only one who can sort this mess out now. 

'This mess' & 'No money' two phrases that are incorrect. 

'This mess' is an established Championship squad, who have finished in the top six three times out of the past five seasons. In the top nine in all of those past five seasons, too. We know we're at the upper limits of what FFP dictates, but the 'no money' claim is outrageous. We have limited cash flow, sure, but since we're probably down £6/7m on our budget from last year already then it's already easing up. The budget at Derby County is enormous in comparison to other Championship teams that were in touching distance of us last season: Preston, Millwall, Sheff Utd & Bristol. As soon as we can improve our cash flow then I'm sure the new manager will be given the freedom to reinvest accordingly. 

Every player for me is up for sale at the right price, but a good manager will find the value in the players we has at his disposal. 

I wonder if GR ever took into account Mels track record whilst deciding to leave us.  He may have seen this job as one that ultimately he would probably get sacked based upon history and the managers track record not only with managers but with staff.  

Could it be that he wanted a more stable environment within a club rather than the scatter gun approach we have seen since MM took over.

Only a theory and please remove if against forum rules and I’m not allowed to put this out there.

Disappointed, but considering we are talking frugality a £2m income seems a good value. Probably equal to the impact of Jacob Butterfield's write off ? Big shame on Rowett who I think has run away from a challenge, the big coward.

As for who comes next, I'd like someone like Paul Cook if possible. Creeping up the leagues with success at each stop. Might have some ideas on undervalued winners out there.

Archived