Chris Martin

Waffle

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Whilst I don't want to get into the debate again we don't know there is a FFP black hole - It's entirely rumoured and every time we've heard someone with an inside source they've suggested we're fine - Think it's more likely to be like last season where we have to sell to finance purchases

sorry I meant the QPR  black hole the comment was in the context that QPR had £3m to spend, which they don't

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

We shouldn't fail to cash-in on a high value player who has no evidence they will replicate their form. Especially when we're about to face a system chance with a new manager.

Cash in appropriately but if we can’t use them appropriately 

PistoldPete2
2 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Sorry, I meant that I would be happy with £2-3m for both Martin and Pearce combined. But I didn't specify that in my post. Apologies! 

£2 million for martin would seem light. Loan him out if we dont need him in the squad. 

9 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

£2 million for martin would seem light. Loan him out if we dont need him in the squad. 

Loaning him out again could devalue him more as next season (19/20) would be his last season at the club, turns 30 in November, out of form, the chance to cash in big on him has long gone.

I'm a Martin fan but I'm afraid we have to view every player as an asset who can provide some much needed cash for the promotion push. 

I wouldn't care if we had a whole new starting eleven if that was a stronger unit than last year.

I would like to see a younger team that could perhaps stay together if we went up.

Martin will only stay if Lampard is prepared to accept his lack of pace and finds players who can use his passing ability. 

Personally I think he will simply see him in the 'get rid' pile.

I said elsewhere I would love to see Martin and Vydra playing off each other as a front two. It comes down to financials and also reducing the squad size while trying to retain the quality. I'd rather sell Jerome, Weimann and Nugent before getting rid of Martin or Vydra, but if McClaren offers decent money then it's worth considering.

It would be a saving of around £3mil just in wages from Martin. Get a couple of mil plus a bit for Pearce and save on his wages and that’s £6-£7 mil saved from 2 players that did cack all for us last 2 seasons. 

Invest a bit on a souttar type round CB that we need and a left back and that’s good business

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

I said elsewhere I would love to see Martin and Vydra playing off each other as a front two. It comes down to financials and also reducing the squad size while trying to retain the quality. I'd rather sell Jerome, Weimann and Nugent before getting rid of Martin or Vydra, but if McClaren offers decent money then it's worth considering.

...totally agree @Carl Sagan until your last sentence. QPR are brassic and Martin still has 2 20 goal seasons left in him. They are trying to get him cheaply. A bit of a dilemma but don’t sell him for £500k. He still has lots to offer if played in a “proper” football team. 

PistoldPete2
3 hours ago, David said:

Loaning him out again could devalue him more as next season (19/20) would be his last season at the club, turns 30 in November, out of form, the chance to cash in big on him has long gone.

Get him back in form, by not messing him about. He is the youngest of our strikers and the least reliant on pace. 

In all seriousness, like most have said it’s kinda up to Frank who he keeps/sells on and if he sells Martin I’d take it on me chin (although I’d want more than £2mill)

To be honest I’m more interested in outgoings than incomings this summer. Say we sold Martin and then Jerome and Nugent were kept on and we’re not even the source of any outgoing rumour then that would certainly give me an air of caution.

Again it’s only my opinion, but out of the three mentioned I’d only be bothered about seeing Martin in a Derby shirt again 

15 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

In all seriousness, like most have said it’s kinda up to Frank who he keeps/sells on and if he sells Martin I’d take it on me chin (although I’d want more than £2mill)

To be honest I’m more interested in outgoings than incomings this summer. Say we sold Martin and then Jerome and Nugent were kept on and we’re not even the source of any outgoing rumour then that would certainly give me an air of caution.

Again it’s only my opinion, but out of the three mentioned I’d only be bothered about seeing Martin in a Derby shirt again 

Let's say lampard has a look at Martin and likes him but Steve McLaren comes in to offer him a role at qpr,then Chrissie will have quite the dilemma....

Fight out with all of our other strikers every match for that number 9 spot(assuming lampard utilises all of our strikers that remain/come into the club) or pretty much have a guaranteed starting place at qpr every week?

Throw into the mix that Martin  might really want to play under lampards regime and his strong family roots in derby.

Alternatively lampard may just not want him at all and the decision is made for him.

Personally I'd like to think that a manager like lampard will recognise his benefits and make good use of him in a good attacking side but the draw of working under Mac must be a strong one too.

Martin + Vydra go, maybe get £13-14m for them both but around 60k a week saved if they are both high earners - that's over £3m saved on wages for the year as well as a big amount of funds in.

Selling these 2 could possibly cover the cost of 4 new players + their wages. We already have the wage budget reduced with Shackell, Bent + Baird off it and i'm sure there will a few more outgoings as well.

Archived