Chris Martin

Waffle

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

This is a fair point... to some extent.  You look at Sheff U... and knowing that Paul Coutts was their key player.   We all know about Coutts. Decent enough player at this level.  Would he improve us? Or be the right 'quality' for a top 6 team? 

On paper maybe not.

BUT it's not that simple.  It's about getting the right blend of players that complement each other. It's the reason Leices could win the Premier League. It's the reason Cardiff could finish above Villa.

Going out and buying Hourihan and Lansbury, or loaning a Bryson?

Agree in principle - But you can find the right balance with quality players - You don't have to go out and buy someone bang average - That's kind of my point - De Laet especially wasn't a star in the Leicester team - But he was one of the best fullbacks in the league - I'd say of a quality level with Wisdom at worst

AND the player we're looking for here is a goalscorer - Our talismanic number 9 - A guy to come in and be better than Martin, Nugent and Jerome - We're not looking for a hard-working full-back or a box-to-box energetic midfielder - We need a genuine talent

And I'd argue that comparing Bryson to a signing from League One is a bit harsh - I'd have Bryson over either of those guys and he's most definitely a top 6 player - I personally think he'd improve our team - Would have him over Johnson pretty much any day of the week

• 1 month later...

And so it begins 

QPR want Derby County forward 

Martin, 29, previously played for the Rams under Steve McClaren, who is keen to be reunited with him at Loftus Road.

The Suffolk-born Scotland international is under contract at Pride Park until 2020 but has been out of the first-team picture there for some time.

He spent the 2016-17 season in west London, on loan at Fulham, where he scored 10 goals in 21 Championship appearances.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-want-derby-county-forward-and-two-defenders

1 minute ago, Frankie Goes To Derby said:

And so it begins 

QPR want Derby County forward 

Martin, 29, previously played for the Rams under Steve McClaren, who is keen to be reunited with him at Loftus Road.

The Suffolk-born Scotland international is under contract at Pride Park until 2020 but has been out of the first-team picture there for some time.

He spent the 2016-17 season in west London, on loan at Fulham, where he scored 10 goals in 21 Championship appearances.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-want-derby-county-forward-and-two-defenders

they've got no money

1 minute ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

QPR are set to make an approach for Derby County striker Chris Martin.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-want-derby-county-forward-and-two-defenders#.WzOCA7QTEr4.twitter

Also mentions Alex Pearce.

He'd do very well at QPR, so I think for his sake it would be a good move. It all depends on how Lampard wants to play, but he's a good, good player if you look to get the ball into his feet and not over his head. 

An unsurprising rumour to say the least. Probably wouldn’t be looking to actively sell him, but if we can get enough money to allow us to freshen up upfront then I’m all for it. Not convinced he can be relied on anymore with any deal of certainty, though there’s a player in there somewhere...

5 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I'm a fan of Martin but from what i've heard off Lampard, Martin really isnt his sort of player.

What have you heard off Lampard to say that?

Edit: also at the bottom of the piece it says QPR are 'limited by FFP restrictions, and are primarily looking at free transfers and loans...'

1 minute ago, DCFC1388 said:

That he wants to play with high intensity and pace (something along these lines) - not something i'd associate with Martin.

That doesn't mean every player has to be lightning. The beauty of Martin is that he can hold the ball and bring the pacey players into play

1 minute ago, DCFC1388 said:

That he wants to play with high intensity and pace (something along these lines) - not something i'd associate with Martin.

High-intensity and pace on the ball is exactly the sort of system Martin flourishes in. He draws defenders making space for runs, passes very well etc.

High-intensity without the ball is where Martin starts to struggle. High presses don't suit him at all, he's never much of a threat when pressing defenders so all that happens is he runs out of position and gets tired.

7 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

That doesn't mean every player has to be lightning. The beauty of Martin is that he can hold the ball and bring the pacey players into play

I agree, i'm a huge fan of Chris Martin but IF Lampard wants his striker to be pressing high etc when we havent got the ball Martin isnt really his man. Like you say, Martin is the type to want it to feet to feed the players around him, like Bryson under McClaren.

7 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

High-intensity and pace on the ball is exactly the sort of system Martin flourishes in. He draws defenders making space for runs, passes very well etc.

High-intensity without the ball is where Martin starts to struggle. High presses don't suit him at all, he's never much of a threat when pressing defenders so all that happens is he runs out of position and gets tired.

I fully agree, Lampard may well want his striker to press when we havent got the ball which is where Martin will struggle like you say so wouldn't suit Lampard's style

Archived