Chris Martin

Waffle

27 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

QPR are set to make an approach for Derby County striker Chris Martin.

This is half a story

They can make all the approaches they want - If we don't want to sell then who cares?

12 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

High-intensity and pace on the ball is exactly the sort of system Martin flourishes in. He draws defenders making space for runs, passes very well etc.

I agree

From what I've heard of Lampard he wants possession - Attacking, fast, high-intensity is great - What we've missed this season and what you need for that is quality players - What we've got is Jerome who's control and passing is somewhat lacking - Martin's control and link up play is excellent so no reason he couldn't play quick football whatsoever

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Topram said:

Give us the 3 million they’ve just got and hand him over 

as we will find with Vyds, the money has already been spent by paying off part of the FFP black hole.  with a bit of luck some money from the Vyds transfer will be available but I doubt whether all of it will be used for transfers

He’s been one of my Favourite players for Derby and he’s been a great player for us but we got him for free ( lots didn’t want him) he gave us a couple of good seasons we got was it 2 million for his Fulham loan? Then probably 400/500k for his reading loan, we’ve made decent Money out of him and got his best seasons out of him 

31 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I fully agree, Lampard may well want his striker to press when we havent got the ball which is where Martin will struggle like you say so wouldn't suit Lampard's style

Of course. It depends on style.

With McClaren, the team is more relaxed off-the-ball. They sit in shape and let the play come to them. Win the ball with a zonal press which was necessary because with the ball they play with so much freedom that they often have defenders out of position. The main reason the defensive constant of Thorne was so important for us. When they have the ball they then work it through and around the opposition quickly. Martin is perfect for that system.

With Rowett, off-the-ball is all press. Trying to gain control of the ball while the opposition are out of position so that fast players can be played in behind. Sometimes the opposition will have the ball for a while but they'll never be given time to think and will find themselves passing sideways. On-the-ball, it is all burst. Sprinting football. Martin is just awful for that kind of system.

We don't know what system Lampard is going to play, but if high-energy is something he wants to see from everyone off-the-ball all over the pitch, then it's not going to work out for Martin. If it's a zonal press, then there's a decent chance Martin could stake a claim - but even if the system is perfect for him there's no guarantee he can perform at the levels he has in the past.

32 minutes ago, Spanish said:

as we will find with Vyds, the money has already been spent by paying off part of the FFP black hole.  with a bit of luck some money from the Vyds transfer will be available but I doubt whether all of it will be used for transfers

Whilst I don't want to get into the debate again we don't know there is a FFP black hole - It's entirely rumoured and every time we've heard someone with an inside source they've suggested we're fine - Think it's more likely to be like last season where we have to sell to finance purchases

Just now, cheron85 said:

Whilst I don't want to get into the debate again we don't know there is a FFP black hole - It's entirely rumoured and every time we've heard someone with an inside source they've suggested we're fine - Think it's more likely to be like last season where we have to sell to finance purchases

If we get a big fee for any player, an amount will be set aside just to make sure we aren't skirting the edge of FFP.

This, based on reading between the lines of Mel's press around the Lampard appointment time. But at the same time, you don't need to set much aside to be comfortable. Maybe a few million. Not a black hole. You'd still get enough out of £10m from Vydra to replace Vydra.

30 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Have to sell, should never of given him a new deal. Should have sold him on the back of the 14/15 season where he had scored 20 for two consecutive seasons. Have to feel sorry for Chris as well as he's spent two years being pi££ed about. 

Exactly what some are saying about Vydra now.... It's too true. Vydra has never hit the heights of Martin here either, not only was Martin our top goalscorer he was our most creative player in the final third, in fact one season he was the most creative player in the division from open play. 

Martin & Vydra together should have been given more time of day. If you play into Martin's feet, Vydra plays close to him then I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. 

No surprises with this one arriving at last but my message to QPR - Pay your FFP bill !

there is no way qpr can afford martins wages or would they want a loan where we end up paying half of them again - which would drive me nuts but then again they are still receiving lots in parachute payments - pay your FFP bill 

Pearce to QPR is an interesting one but we simply do not have any experienced cover at centre half after him but I understand that he wants to play - but QPR pay your FFP bill

21 minutes ago, cosmic said:

I hate the idea of Martin scoring against us as the focal point of a free-flowing Steve McClaren team.

I get this. And sort-of share your sentiment. It would be a bit like seeing your ex-missus get together with your ex-best mate. 

But for me, the Chris Martin roller-coaster has had one to many ups and downs. I think I'm just tired of the constant back and forth over him every single transfer window, so if he goes, so be it. 29-year-old striker who hasn't scored very many goals in the last two seasons. If we can get £2-3m for him, we should be happy. 

9 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I get this. And sort-of share your sentiment. It would be a bit like seeing your ex-missus get together with your ex-best mate. 

But for me, the Chris Martin roller-coaster has had one to many ups and downs. I think I'm just tired of the constant back and forth over him every single transfer window, so if he goes, so be it. 29-year-old striker who hasn't scored very many goals in the last two seasons. If we can get £2-3m for him, we should be happy. 

2-3 mill ? Where's that figure from ? No chance we get that anymore. 500k is whats quoted

Just now, jimbobram said:

2-3 mill ? Where's that figure from ? No chance we get that anymore. 500k is whats quoted

Sorry, I meant that I would be happy with £2-3m for both Martin and Pearce combined. But I didn't specify that in my post. Apologies! 

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

Sorry, I meant that I would be happy with £2-3m for both Martin and Pearce combined. But I didn't specify that in my post. Apologies! 

I'd be buzzin me man t*tties off too. I think £1m for the both is more realistic these days though.

I would much prefer to keep our two forwards - Martin and Vydra who can score 20 goals apiece in the championship and actually play them together with Jerome helping out and a bright new thing being brought in to learn with them

5 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I would much prefer to keep our two forwards - Martin and Vydra who can score 20 goals apiece in the championship and actually play them together with Jerome helping out and a bright new thing being brought in to learn with them

We shouldn't fail to cash-in on a high value player who has no evidence they will replicate their form. Especially when we're about to face a system chance with a new manager.

Archived