Chris Martin

Waffle

24 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Hughes that there is an argument to be made that whoever deals with negotiations (ive no idea who, it should be a DOF tho) doesn’t really understand the market, as we certainly didn’t get value for Hughes imo.

Let me stop you there, maybe it’s us the fans that doesn't really understand the market, I mean I have never handled a player transfer and I doubt I’m the only one.

A player is only worth what a club is willing pay, regardless of what Bob, Jimmy or Barry down the road went for.

Do you not think that the club would want the most money they could get for him? It’s going in their pockets not ours, I keep seeing comments like we took the first bid and ran. Maybe the only club ever interested in Hughes was Watford and you can’t create a bidding war with one club.

We also don’t know what the addons were and how they are structured, what the chances are they will be triggered, is there a sell on fee, what percentage is that? So whilst £4.5m is thrown around as the fee, the reported fee is thought to be around £8m, has that been triggered already? It still might not be what we think he’s worth but no other club offered more. 

Let’s not forget he was coming off the back of a serious injury and wasn’t at his best.

Finally his agent, whilst the club is being bashed for this deal, why wouldn’t his agent have stepped in and said hold on Will, this is the first offer, sit tight I will drum up some interest, I’ll get you a better club, more wages and a bigger fee for myself? Maybe his agent spent a couple of months throwing his name around trying to drum up interest and there was none. Does his agent not know the market either?

Now you could say well hold on to him, don’t sell, maybe, but there was Premier League interest and by all accounts not in Rowett’s plans rightly or wrongly, letting him sit on the bench would do nothing for his value. For what it’s worth, I thought we would get around £15m tops at the time, with a sell on fee and all addons triggered we may even get close to that, unlikely we will ever truly know with it all being undisclosed. 

If I ever end up in court though I pray to god you’re not on the jury, I’d be ******* as a lack of evidence isn’t enough to stop a guilty verdict ?

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

In that case then, it doesn’t matter what line of thought you’re going down, we still need a striker, and to get that we need money. Doesn’t matter who he’s a replacement for, we still need to raise money to one. We aren’t going to have enough money to buy one without bringing in money from outgoings, so why the hell sell one of our only players with a bit of value in Martin for a pittance? Just because players didn’t impact the team this year doesn’t mean they can’t be sold for enough money that will influence the team next year. Just getting shot of them to free up wages won’t raise the funds to improve the team.

reality check guys Martin has spent the best part of 2 seasons with 2 different championship clubs yet niether have followed up with a bid doesnt that say something

7 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

500k, fantastic. Think it’s time to move him on as he’s not the player he once was, but we’ve gotta get more than that for goodness sake! How will we replace him with that!

The more I see the more I worry that Rowett has absolutely no idea of the market... or someone doesn’t certainly it may be higher up. Think this will undermine our future more than tactics and who we decide comes and goes...

If you think that Rowett decides accept a bid or not ultimately it is the chairmans money so he decides how much to accept for a player have a read of Davids fine post explaining the workings of transfers might be a help to you

6 hours ago, bcnram said:

Your last paragraph is quite funny. The problem with Martin is that he plays well, scores goals and brings others into the game when players pass to him anywhere below his chin. Unfortunately we have a manager who favours thumping the ball in The Hague direction of the corner for others to chase after. 

so why hasnt he scored lots for Reading this season?

4 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I agree with all those points mate, I just hope we get a higher fee than 500k. We absolutely do need to get rid because he’s not the player he once was, but I still feel he’s got to be worth the 2-3 mil you mention there for his history in the division. Not to mention he still has two years left on his contract and he’s not too old yet. Just think we need to stand our ground and not take the first offer thrown at us, Martin isn’t someone like Blackman who no one would want, just need a couple of teams interested and we can get the price up a bit.

When he was available for loan only Sunderland and Reading wanted him. So he may be 'someone who no one would want' based on what he brings to the table in return for his wages. I would be happy with a million plus add ons. Hopefully Mac does us a favour on this one.

11 hours ago, bcnram said:

Your last paragraph is quite funny. The problem with Martin is that he plays well, scores goals and brings others into the game when players pass to him anywhere below his chin. Unfortunately we have a manager who favours thumping the ball in The Hague direction of the corner for others to chase after. 

You do realise there’s only one paragraph?!?

8 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Well I’m also questioning the club if these rumours come true. Like I said earlier, we saw last summer with the sale of Hughes that there is an argument to be made that whoever deals with negotiations (ive no idea who, it should be a DOF tho) doesn’t really understand the market, as we certainly didn’t get value for Hughes imo. Maybe that’ll be a one off, I hope it is. But these sort of rumours certainly do concern me, both the 8m for Vydra and 500k for Martin being banded about are far too low, no smoke without fire and all that. No problem with selling either if it’s needed, but I do have a problem if we accept fees below their value, and recent history along with rumours banded about are giving me concerns that we may do.

Maybe these rumours won’t be true, it’s quite plausible they won’t be and all will be fine, I’m not disputing that. But if they are true, then I absolutely question whoever is negotiating deals at the club, because we’re getting ripped off. Like I say, failing in market negotiations will be hugely detrimental to our season, we haven’t got any money and if we don’t negotiate well to raise some, we won’t be able to improve the squad. Simple as, so let’s hope we do negotiate well and this is all a load of ********.

I think your last seven words summary sums it up perfectly!??

7 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

so why hasnt he scored lots for Reading this season?

Why would I know that? Maybe they don’t pass to him anywhere below his chin. Why did they sack their manager? Why do some people feel the need to ask immature questions?

18 minutes ago, Dale The Ram said:

We all know whatever he goes for he will score against us every single time ?

I remember the FA outlawing perminant deals which said a player couldn’t get lay against former club for however long, Wonder if you can have an add on saying every time he scores against us they pay an additional £200,000? Or is that a bit close to spot fixing?

14 hours ago, Derbados said:

500k?? Is that some sort of sick joke?

anything under £1.5 million is a farce, we love to sell for peanuts so I wouldn’t at all be suprised 

buy high, sell low. . . It’s the Derby way

Doesn't really apply to Martin, as we got him for free in the first place...

4 minutes ago, Mr Giggles said:

Doesn't really apply to Martin, as we got him for free in the first place...

Doesn’t really apply to many, Hughes, Hendrick, Ince, Christie, Grant, Albentosa all went for a profit.

Russell is the only one I can think of recently which we have lost money on. 

20 minutes ago, David said:

Doesn’t really apply to many, Hughes, Hendrick, Ince, Christie, Grant, Albentosa all went for a profit.

Russell is the only one I can think of recently which we have lost money on. 

Dawkins, Shackell, Ward, Bent?

16 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

500k, fantastic. Think it’s time to move him on as he’s not the player he once was, but we’ve gotta get more than that for goodness sake! How will we replace him with that!

The more I see the more I worry that Rowett has absolutely no idea of the market... or someone doesn’t certainly it may be higher up. Think this will undermine our future more than tactics and who we decide comes and goes...

Replacing him like for like shouldn't be hard with that cash. As you said yourself, he's not the player he once was. Can get a player of his current quality for 500k, for free even, if we're savvy. 

Just now, GadFly said:

Replacing him like for like shouldn't be hard with that cash. As you said yourself, he's not the player he once was. Can get a player of his current quality for 500k, for free even, if we're savvy. 

Name them ? Remember we are trying to get the squad age down too

3 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Name them ? Remember we are trying to get the squad age down too

I'm not a scout. We got him for free though, so you'd think it's possible that we could get a player of his calibre for free again. Done it before, no reason it can't be done again. 

Besides, a like for like replacement would be a player that can't get in our team and can't get in Reading's either, a player with 1 league goal last season. We're replacing current Martin, not Martin of 2/3 years ago. 

5 minutes ago, GadFly said:

I'm not a scout. We got him for free though, so you'd think it's possible that we could get a player of his calibre for free again. Done it before, no reason it can't be done again. 

Besides, a like for like replacement would be a player that can't get in our team and can't get in Reading's either, a player with 1 league goal last season. We're replacing current Martin, not Martin of 2/3 years ago. 

What's the point in replacing him with a player who is no better than him.

Archived