Gary Rowett gone to Stoke

Mckram

18 minutes ago, minesahartington said:

If there's any interest from Premier League clubs, every manager and player wants to be in the Premier League.

"It is always flattering but for me this was probably the job out of any job I was hoping to do.

"This club is set up in a Premier League way."

"The second I took it, it was about seeing the job through. Since I have come to the club, I have had a fantastic relationship with all the people here.

GR January 2018

Says it all.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Rowett is going to Stoke then good luck to him, he may get more freedom to spend money and have a better chance at getting promoted. It’s a shame after signing a contract so recently he wants to leave but maybe his role will just be too tough next year. He improved our league position from 9th to 6th and signed some decent players, got the best out of Vydra and Jerome. 

Hope he does well at Stoke but finishing behind Derby of course. 

39 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Yeah but you don't sell your 2 best players then bring loads of over 30 year olds. Stupid mistake and that's now dead money as we will never get it back.

it was totally unnecessary to go out and spend around £13 mil on players.

I'm not defending Rowett here (in my eyes he's gone from being a fairly decent bloke to an absolute winker in the past 24 hours), but I don't think it was his decision to sell the players - Will wanted a crack at the Premiership and Ince (and his dad) could see the pound signs of a move to a PL club. It was pointless to turn down offers that brought in some money to reshape the squad and then be stuck with 2 unhappy players. As far as the fees go, that must lie with Mel, but who knows what offers were on the table? - maybe we got the most money we could....

4 minutes ago, Davide said:

If Rowett is going to Stoke then good luck to him, he may get more freedom to spend money and have a better chance at getting promoted. It’s a shame after signing a contract so recently he wants to leave but maybe his role will just be too tough next year. He improved our league position from 9th to 6th and signed some decent players, got the best out of Vydra and Jerome. 

Hope he does well at Stoke but finishing behind Derby of course. 

Let’s be right, he improved the league position this season because he gave up at the end of last season.

Id wish him well but he’s done little which is good for the club?

Lowered wages? Nope

Cut the squad? Nope

Introduced youth? Nope 

We are in the exact position we were in last season, a champ side with players on high wages.

4 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I'm not defending Rowett here (in my eyes he's gone from being a fairly decent bloke to an absolute winker in the past 24 hours), but I don't think it was his decision to sell the players - Will wanted a crack at the Premiership and Ince (and his dad) could see the pound signs of a move to a PL club. It was pointless to turn down offers that brought in some money to reshape the squad and then be stuck with 2 unhappy players. As far as the fees go, that must lie with Mel, but who knows what offers were on the table? - maybe we got the most money we could....

Sorry but no matter how many times people have said this, there is nothing that backs this theory up, neither player had asked to leave and only after the club touted the players around did they both agree to the moves.

Both players have said they didn’t either feature in GRs long term plans, or suit his style of football, it was his call at the end of the day to get rid.

36 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Agree with that.....we have seen glimpses of what he can do but with a system that suits he him,he could really impress.

Hopefully.

Looked good when he linked up with wor Chrissie! ?

It could be a blessing in disguise.

We get a manager in that gets us playing football and take an easy 6 points off Stoke this season as they try to hold out for two 0-0 draws!

I honestly think that’s the biggest job he will ever get and if he messes it up then he will be a championship manager for the rest of his career at best.

Its not the end of the world. Far from it. We have a good squad with the addition of Bryson, Elsnik and Martin to name but three.

The envy of many teams in the Champ

Hopefully the "Bryson doesnt fit our system"  argument is dead and buried.

I believe we have players who are creative and can play the ball on the ground. This was apparent for 10 minutes v Fulham!

The anchor on their play has been lifted and i am excited about next season.

I reckon we will have sold at least 1000 ST`s on the back of Rowett leaving. If Mel appoints a half decent manager that`s a 1000 more. That adds £1M to the coffers.

This could be a great day

At least we wont have to listen to him saying "we just lacked a bit of quality in the final third" after every game, whilst rudely chewing gum in your face.

Not to concerned at all and to get the reported £1.8m+ compo then happy days.

Good luck to whoever comes in and I just pray its more entertaining than some of the atrocious stuff that Rowett served up this season.

I expect that his honeymoon period at Stoke will be on the short side. 

A manager with no links to the club, but with links to local rivals, playing unattractive football, will need to hit the ground running or he'll be picking up his compensation cheque before Christmas. 

15 minutes ago, Mckram said:

It could be a blessing in disguise.

We get a manager in that gets us playing football and take an easy 6 points off Stoke this season as they try to hold out for two 0-0 draws!

I honestly think that’s the biggest job he will ever get and if he messes it up then he will be a championship manager for the rest of his career at best.

The biggest job is the one he is about to leave, there’s no doubt in my mind. 

The opportunities to grow as a manager and develop our young talent that are coming through via the academy and U23 squad. 

Missed a trick to become something more. 

28 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Let’s be right, he improved the league position this season because he gave up at the end of last season.

Id wish him well but he’s done little which is good for the club?

Lowered wages? Nope

Cut the squad? Nope

Introduced youth? Nope 

We are in the exact position we were in last season, a champ side with players on high wages.

Bringing in youth for the sake of bringing in youth isn’t everything. Obviously the academy players are not up to the level. The players he has brought in have been on the whole good additions. Last season we weren’t competitive at all. 

I think this development would be more tolerable if we'd have ended the season with a whimper, with the fans turning against GR. Or if it was a premier league team.

As it was, we were 45 minutes from Wembley (whether we deserved it or not) and I'd hazard a guess at saying most people thought job well done, tweaks here and there and we'd be ready to give it another crack next season. Especially when combined with a new contract a little over 4 months ago, and his comments regarding said contract. Surely he must have known about the budget limitations on the new contract? If not, then Mel deserves some flak for that.

41 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Sorry but no matter how many times people have said this, there is nothing that backs this theory up, neither player had asked to leave and only after the club touted the players around did they both agree to the moves.

Both players have said they didn’t either feature in GRs long term plans, or suit his style of football, it was his call at the end of the day to get rid.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/will-hughes-determined-to-prove-premier-league-class-at-watford-4193302

Key part regarding moving to the PL: "“It has been a long time coming. I was close with Derby but we didn't quite make it and I felt like my time was up there".

1 minute ago, Gaspode said:

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/will-hughes-determined-to-prove-premier-league-class-at-watford-4193302

Key part regarding moving to the PL: "“It has been a long time coming. I was close with Derby but we didn't quite make it and I felt like my time was up there".

Sorry, maybe I have missed the bit that said he wanted to leave? Of course his time was up, he wasn’t even getting into the team ?

Archived