Gary Rowett gone to Stoke

Mckram

1 hour ago, Moist One said:

and? Do you want success? or do you want a bunch of lightweight snowflake underachievers with a losing mentality?

You think Roy Keane would guarantee success? 

What do you want to do with these 'Snowflake Underachievers'? Bully the **** out of them and let the ones who cry leave?

I can see what you are saying and I'm sure Sergeant Major Keane would indeed have his uses, as a number 2 though, as backup, not as the main man.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, David said:

Haven’t you just said in another topic that Bryson (31) and Martin (30 in Nov) will be like 2 new signings? ?

Nowt wrong with being over 30, I’m 36 and in great shape....ahem.

I agree in isolation, but it would be nice to have a balance of sorts. We’ve gone from having the youngest squad by average age, in need of experience, to the oldest, and in need of some youth and energy.

Still think that Bryson and Martin would be an improvement on some of those that currently occupy their positions in the first team squad. 

1 minute ago, angieram said:

Are you a midfielder (preferably an attacking one)?

More of a Wanchope style player where I don’t look like I’m in full control of my legs. Don’t let that put you off me though, absolutely no chance I would quit for Stoke.

4 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

If Rowett goes to Stoke he has the capacity to become the most unpopular ex Derby manager since billy Davies. 

You mean the only manager in 20+ seasons that has actually had any success at all...? I imagine Gary would be quite please to be spoke about in the same conversation as the king. 

16 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

You think Roy Keane would guarantee success? 

What do you want to do with these 'Snowflake Underachievers'? Bully the **** out of them and let the ones who cry leave?

I can see what you are saying and I'm sure Sergeant Major Keane would indeed have his uses, as a number 2 though, as backup, not as the main man.

See also, Nigel Pearson.

1 minute ago, MuespachRam said:

You mean the only manager in 20+ seasons that has actually had any success at all...? I imagine Gary would be quite please to be spoke about in the same conversation as the king. 

Gary Rowett, a poor man’s Billy Davies.

Billy Davies, without the success.

24 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

The two that wanted him both wanted to play decent football, the two that didn't both wanted to play hoofball.  IMO It's not that Martin is the be all and end all, it's more that wanting a player like Martin in your team is indicative of what kind of football we're likely to be seeing next season.

Circumstances may dicatate another direction though. New manager comes in wants to play attractive attacking football, but wants his own striker to build around and there's a bid for Martin from Qpr.

PistoldPete2
3 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Haha! You are being ironic right?

23 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

I agree in isolation, but it would be nice to have a balance of sorts. We’ve gone from having the youngest squad by average age, in need of experience, to the oldest, and in need of some youth and energy.

Still think that Bryson and Martin would be an improvement on some of those that currently occupy their positions in the first team squad. 

Having been out on loan now 2 seasons running, I struggle to see a fairy tale ending where Martin comes back into the team and puts 20 goals away for us. A positive from Rowett leaving is we may be able to sell for a slightly higher fee as he was clearly surplus to requirements. Time for the poker face. 

As for Bryson, one of the areas we need youth and energy is midfield, does he still have that energy he once had? It’s been a long time since he has played a full season and looked a little leggy since his injuries. Again not sure we should be hoping for that fairy tale ending. 

Hold on to the memories, thank them for their time and look forward as a club not back.

4 minutes ago, David said:

Having been out on loan now 2 seasons running, I struggle to see a fairy tale ending where Martin comes back into the team and puts 20 goals away for us. A positive from Rowett leaving is we may be able to sell for a slightly higher fee as he was clearly surplus to requirements. Time for the poker face. 

As for Bryson, one of the areas we need youth and energy is midfield, does he still have that energy he once had? It’s been a long time since he has completed played a full season and looked a little leggy since his injuries. Again not sure we should be hoping for that fairy tale ending. 

Hold on to the memories, thank them for their time and look forward as a club not back.

Would be good to see both of them being given a chance in a team that suits their attributes again,even if it's just for one season whilst we rebuild....

Neither has had a fair crack at the whip with us for some time and could still dd a job for us even if they are unlikely to reach their previous heights..

It would help to raise their market values too.

2 minutes ago, David said:

As for Bryson, one of the areas we need youth and energy is midfield, does he still have that energy he once had? It’s been a long time since he has completed played a full season and looked a little leggy since his injuries. Again not sure we should be hoping for that fairy tale ending. 

MartIn is a player who is only effective with a run of games in the team, his fitness levels drop when he isn’t playing regularly and therefore so do his performances.  Depending on the manager or team, it wouldnt surprise me to see him score goals again, only a fool or Rowett would write his career off just yet.

As for Bryson, doubtful however as a squad player could be a useful addition next season.

2 minutes ago, David said:

Martin - it really depends on how we’re set up as a team, and where he’d fit into it. He’s not really a bit-part player, so unless we plan to use him as the focal point again, I suppose you’re right.

Bryson - depends on what other options we have in the middle, especially as ours aren’t great, in depth.

Plus, we’re probably going to lose some players over the summer. If these two are still here going into next season, and can plug gaps, use them. Sending them out on loan is a short term solution we’ve used for both for a while. Use it get rid, but we’ve probably managed to reduce the value of both by not using them and sending them out.

8 minutes ago, David said:

As for Bryson, one of the areas we need youth and energy is midfield, does he still have that energy he once had? It’s been a long time since he has played a full season and looked a little leggy since his injuries. Again not sure we should be hoping for that fairy tale ending. 

He was apparently very solid all year for Cardiff - Only played about 20 times but by all accounts still had the legs to run tirelessly all game - Bear in mind how far ahead of everyone else he always used to be in pre-season training I'd suggest even a 10-15% drop off would make him a decent box-to-box option!

Just now, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Would be good to see both of them being given a chance in a team that suits their attributes it's again,even if it's just for one season whilst we rebuild....

Neither has had a fair crack at the whip with us for some time and could still dd a job for us even if they are unlikely to reach their previous heights..

It would help to raise their market values too.

You’re not going to raise Bryson’s value, 32 in November and out of contract next summer. Martin has 2 seasons left, this chance will knock a year off that and be in his 30s. With McClaren at QPR this is an ideal opportunity to move a high earner on whilst recouping a fee, using that money to hopefully bring in someone younger and can play more than one system. 

It’s like Groundhog Day where we try to recreate the 13/14 team, we’re 4 years on from that now and many parts have left. It’s gone. Memories. Time to look forward now.

1 hour ago, Davide said:

Bringing in youth for the sake of bringing in youth isn’t everything. Obviously the academy players are not up to the level. The players he has brought in have been on the whole good additions. Last season we weren’t competitive at all. 

The players he’s brought in have been ok short term options but that wasn’t his remit.

His remit was to cut the squad/wages/age and he hasn’t done that. In fact it’s gone the other way. So we are in the same league as last season (finishing 9th or being outfought in the playoffs bring the same result), higher age average, more first team players, more on long term contracts (halting any sort of youth development) and high wages. I’d respect him if he’d tried to counter any of them, but he actively went the opposite way.

Id respect him if he had made the movements towards those goals and got a better offer, or got promoted with the players he had at his disposal (they had a good enough chance). But this? No, he’s just left us with a mess for someone else to clean.

2 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

He was apparently very solid all year for Cardiff - Only played about 20 times but by all accounts still had the legs to run tirelessly all game - Bear in mind how far ahead of everyone else he always used to be in pre-season training I'd suggest even a 10-15% drop off would make him a decent box-to-box option!

He played what would amount to 17 games, that’s not even half a season. Has he got a full season in him, Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday? Could prove me wrong but I’m seeing another Jamie Ward situation, we would be holding on to him trying to get every last drop we can, all the time blocking the path of someone much younger with a whole career ahead of them. 

13 minutes ago, David said:

He played what would amount to 17 games, that’s not even half a season. Has he got a full season in him, Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday? Could prove me wrong but I’m seeing another Jamie Ward situation, we would be holding on to him trying to get every last drop we can, all the time blocking the path of someone much younger with a whole career ahead of them. 

You may well he right but youngsters tend not to be able to successfully do Saturday Tuesday Saturday and maybe we could improve them with the likes of Bryson operating in tandem 

Archived