Gary Rowett gone to Stoke

Mckram

3 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

Yeah mate, very believable. Just like when he said that the Newcastle links had absolutely no effect on our playoff bid that season which everyone knows is complete rubbish. I was a big fan of the man while he was here during both times but those Newcastle links and the way he handled them killed us off that season.

Crippling injuries to the spine of the team killed us that season 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, eddie said:

That cuts both ways, @curtains

Perhaps he is fed up with a couple of sycophantic toadies praising him to the hilt every five minutes, defending him every time we lose and putting unnecessary pressure to succeed on him - or perhaps their undying praise has made him think that he is bigger than the club.

Believe what you like mate but his position was becoming upsetting and untenable at Derby IMO for the guy  

Sad to see  

2 hours ago, minesahartington said:

Does anyone seriously believe tbat Stoke would pay upweards of 3m to get him. Laughable

Why is that unbelievable? Is it because they only won £100 mill for finishing bottom of the Prem - or is it the extra £40+ mill they get as parachute payments? Or the hundreds of millions they have won during their stay in the top flight? £3mill is a drop in the ocean for them and they clearly think Rowett will be a good fit for them after trying to get him in January - Even though I don't want Rowett to leave I believe he would do better at Stoke than our tinpot club.

1 minute ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

I hope if he doesn’t move to Stoke there isn’t going to be a “Mac type toon” witch hunt. 

If he doesn't go to Stoke he should be fired anyway. He wanted to speak to another club. (oh and the other part about him being a naff manager). Mac didn't even speak to Newcastle. 

2 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

There is still no guarantee that having spoken to Stoke that GR is going to take the role. 

Its all still in the balance, he’s currently “talking” to Stoke that’s all. 

I hope if he doesn’t move to Stoke there isn’t going to be a “Mac type toon” witch hunt. 

He is still our manager and remains so until announced otherwise. 

The fact that the club has announced that he wants to talk to them has pretty much killed any chances of him staying with us - his position would be untenable....

4 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

There is still no guarantee that having spoken to Stoke that GR is going to take the role. 

Its all still in the balance, he’s currently “talking” to Stoke that’s all. 

He is still our manager and remains so until announced otherwise. 

The damage is already done, I'm sure of it. He can't reject Stoke when they're in the Prem, get a pay rise and then ask to talk to them when they're in our league after failing to take us up. Especially after he said all that stuff about this being his dream job

Just gonna drop this chestnut again

Manager win rates:

Gary Rowett 41.67%

Steve McClaren 2016-2017 45.83%

Nigel Pearson 28.57%

Darren Wassall 50.00%

Paul Clement 42.42%

Steve McClaren 2013-2015 53.68%

Again, I'd take middling results in exchange for intent to build for the future and entertaining football. Last season was largely painful to watch, we sold off our two most promising youngsters and blew up the wage bill with more 30+ yr olds 

Damn thought I had done with this forum for the close season.

I was not his biggest fan, far from it, however him wanting to speak to stoke says a lot about him, get him out of the club ASAP.  What a shame we employed him in the first place, he has set the club back under his tenure with the players he has sold and bought.  

Those who supported him and live in the real world must be completely let down by this news, jumped at the earliest opportunity when the grass looks greener, something which he will do again to Stoke (if big IF he is successful) as was highlighted when he didn’t sign a new contract there because they wouldn’t agree to a release clause.

Derby is bigger than GR, onwards and upwards :-)

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

If he doesn't go to Stoke he should be fired anyway. He wanted to speak to another club. (oh and the other part about him being a naff manager). Mac didn't even speak to Newcastle. 

That we know of!

Well at least this is being done correctly. If he goes then so be it but “If he doesn't go to Stoke he should be fired anyway.” I hope you don’t ever think of changing jobs or maybe your boss might treat you this way too. 

1 minute ago, wixman1884 said:

Last season was largely painful to watch, we sold off our two most promising youngsters and blew up the wage bill with more 30+ yr olds 

That's some legacy he is leaving.

20 minutes ago, curtains said:

Mate he’s had enough of it at Derby .

He has tried but IMO knows he’s on to a loser next season. 

What would you do. 

I still hope he turns Stoke down but the reactions on here prove he’s not wanted and I can’t understand that ?

He’s made his position untenable mate. What would Mel look like if he kept him on after asking to see if the grass is greener in Stoke ? 

Just now, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

If he goes then so be it but “If he doesn't go to Stoke he should be fired anyway.” I hope you don’t ever think of changing jobs or maybe your boss might treat you this way too.

You can't compare football by normal business standards. He's pretty much publicly announced he wants to leave by talking to Stoke, if it fell through for whatever reason his position at the club is untenable. 

9 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

Would you blame the Newcastle links more than losing Martin, Eustace, Buxton, etc to injury?

If Martin was fit, with a recognized defensive midfielder, and a better CB than shotton, we'd have been up that season. 

No it's a bit of both. We were ravaged by injuries for large parts of the season but even when we got basically our full squad towards the end of the season we were still getting thumped by the likes Reading. We fell away due to injuries and we didn't recover due to mentality.

Regardless I'll be holding Mac in much higher regard than Rowett if he does leave. The allure of Newcastle in the division above is much more understandable than Stoke in the same division.

This works well for Morris, a solution to a problem has fallen in his lap.

Trouble is whoever comes in is shafted again. Ageing squad, no money, sell to buy. Don’t sound too enticing does it.. 

I backed Rowett but he can fook off now the job was too big for him.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

You can't compare football by normal business standards. He's pretty much publicly announced he wants to leave by talking to Stoke, if it fell through for whatever reason his position at the club is untenable. 

The club is all of ours to love, as Fans! 

Unfortunately the sad truth is  the staff be that playing, coaching etc etc are just employees. It’s just a job to them and don’t fall for the badge kissers etc. 

It's a job, it pays the bills and they are all loyal to their next pay cheques, it’s not a criticism it’s just the way it is. 

Archived