Where is George Thorne?

PodgeyRam

23 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

I wish it was that simple. There's been some strange decisions regarding players this season. Some flavour of the month, then completely out of the picture.

Anya, Wisdom, Baird, Johnson, Forsyth, Olson. 

Martin, Russell, Bryson. 

In my opinion it doesnt create a team spirit if you are uncertain about your place in the team and 1 bad game means you are out of the squad.    

Or never given a chance

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Makes sense what GR is saying, he's played more games than was expected of his this season, give him a rest, and hopefully a full pre season will see him back to almost his best.  Lets face it, an 80% George Thorne is better than 90% of Championship midfielders.  

We all need to get behind him. So many people have been getting on his back and it's not fair in the slightest.

The poor bloke has had some serious injuries, you don't suddenly become a bad player. 

Should we get him back to full fitness (patience still needed) he is one of few premier league quality players in our squad.

3 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Still convinced he will be a big player for us. Or someone else.

I can't see him hitting those 13/14 heights again but that last bit is what I fear most when it comes to GT. Glad we've extended his contract. 

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Mr Tibbs said:

I can't see him hitting those 13/14 heights again but that last bit is what I fear most when it comes to GT. Glad we've extended his contract. 

Sadly I can't, not right now, but I don't think thats all down to him. If you remember what he did and had to do back then, was sit in front of the back 4 and break play up and he did it really well, then he would have hughes, bryson or hendrick buzzing around him and looking to get forward.

We dont have that anymore.

16 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Needs to adapt to how Rowett needs him to play is one issue, fitness and sharpness are the second.

I won't write him off at all, but sensibly reduce my expectations of him.

You sure you’re a Derby fan?

Sith Happens
59 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Yes,he needs to get with the rowett program and move on from his old McLaren era ways.

MV5BZmFjMmUyMTUtYjgxYi00ZDgyLTljN2YtYTFiOTJkZjkyZGNkL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTgwNTk5MDU@._V1_.jpg

Bloomin eck, that MIke Reid had a really big hand.

PistoldPete2
32 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Bloomin eck, that MIke Reid had a really big hand.

All the better to WALOOOOPPPPP! you with.

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Needs to adapt to how Rowett needs him to play is one issue, fitness and sharpness are the second.

I won't write him off at all, but sensibly reduce my expectations of him.

I’m not sure he can though unless we play on the counter and even then there is room for one of him and Huddlestone. 

The only way a two man midfield can work is with two intelligent players who act as pistons and can do the whole lot (Kayal and Stephens) or with a energetic tackler and an creative sitter (Kante and Drinkwater). He only really suits the latter role and has no foil. 

I’m also not convinced you can play the ball through a midfield two unless it’s on the break so you’re not going to be seeing him play those amazing balls through the lines. 

If you think back to Clough’s last full season we got the ball forward  through either Brayford and Coutts linking up down the right or Wardy beating a man down the left. The midfield would then back up play. If George were in that team he’d have few if any of his trademark passes on, he’d effectively be a wall for the wide-men to play the ball off.

I just can’t think of any way in which we can fit him in without signing a Kante type.

Archived