Where is George Thorne?

PodgeyRam

35 minutes ago, cannable said:

I’m not sure he can though unless we play on the counter and even then there is room for one of him and Huddlestone. 

The only way a two man midfield can work is with two intelligent players who act as pistons and can do the whole lot (Kayal and Stephens) or with a energetic tackler and an creative sitter (Kante and Drinkwater). He only really suits the latter role and has no foil. 

I’m also not convinced you can play the ball through a midfield two unless it’s on the break so you’re not going to be seeing him play those amazing balls through the lines. 

If you think back to Clough’s last full season we got the ball forward  through either Brayford and Coutts linking up down the right or Wardy beating a man down the left. The midfield would then back up play. If George were in that team he’d have few if any of his trademark passes on, he’d effectively be a wall for the wide-men to play the ball off.

I just can’t think of any way in which we can fit him in without signing a Kante type.

Bryson? Johnson?

I get your point though.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Bryson? Johnson?

I get your point though.

Johnson’s too slow, Bryson can’t last a season anymore.

Best we could do to fit him is have Vydra and the other midfielder play in the channels, George doing his old job effectively and then off the ball have flat banks of 4

Actually, that may just work but you’re then restricting Matty

9 hours ago, Smyth_18 said:

We all need to get behind him. So many people have been getting on his back and it's not fair in the slightest.

The poor bloke has had some serious injuries, you don't suddenly become a bad player. 

Should we get him back to full fitness (patience still needed) he is one of few premier league quality players in our squad.

Sorry but he is not even close to being a Premier league player. Never was never will be. Too many injury issues have left him miles short. 

13 minutes ago, Ramleicester said:

Sorry but he is not even close to being a Premier league player. Never was never will be. Too many injury issues have left him miles short. 

Have you actually seen some of the midfielders playing in the Prem?! 

So from interviews it’s poss that rather than not rating Thorne he is handling him in a sensible way with an eye on the long term? 

Just saying

9 minutes ago, archied said:

So from interviews it’s poss that rather than not rating Thorne he is handling him in a sensible way with an eye on the long term? 

Just saying

Absolutely bang on. If rowett didn’t rate him he wouldn’t have given him a new contract.

Sunderland game showed George isn’t right, why put him in the firing line when recovering from so long out? Take him out the squad give him a full pre season and then we will see the George we signed. Even if we get promoted i would start a fully fit George on top of his game. 

I actually agree with Craig Ramage though (What?!) I think George is more comfortable as sole holding midfielder and I think you can only play one of him or Huddlestone to get the best of him 

5 hours ago, cannable said:

Johnson’s too slow, Bryson can’t last a season anymore.

Best we could do to fit him is have Vydra and the other midfielder play in the channels, George doing his old job effectively and then off the ball have flat banks of 4

Actually, that may just work but you’re then restricting Matty

Palmer? Always thought him alongside a distributor in midfield would be pretty good, mind we’ve not exactly seen him on the pitch much so it’s hard to see for sure whether he has the qualities.

12 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Absolutely bang on. If rowett didn’t rate him he wouldn’t have given him a new contract.

Sunderland game showed George isn’t right, why put him in the firing line when recovering from so long out? Take him out the squad give him a full pre season and then we will see the George we signed. Even if we get promoted i would start a fully fit George on top of his game. 

I actually agree with Craig Ramage though (What?!) I think George is more comfortable as sole holding midfielder and I think you can only play one of him or Huddlestone to get the best of him 

This.

If he can get back to full fitness, we could have him doing the same job as in the Mac1 season, screening the defence and spraying the ball to 2 runners.

I’ve  always thought Huddlestone was a stop gap until George was fully fit and they would compete for 1 place, just not sure that’s ever likely with Rowett?

Still hopeful a good pre season will show him in better light, he sure needs it.

13 minutes ago, Ramleicester said:

Yes every week with odd exceptiob! And Dcfc too. Too slow in brain and body for prem. You been watching championship too long.

I’d be more inclined to say you can’t pick out a player 

Archived