Transfer Deadline Day

Barney1991

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

How much do you know about this new lad.......honestly? Could Gary know a bit more than you?

No idea if he’s a good player, I would imagine he is since he’s from Chelsea’s academy. But what he ain’t is an out and out winger to replace Russell, we needed a guy like Grosicki and we didn’t get him.

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Think you could definitely argue that our squad is now weaker than it was in January 1st. Another odd January window for Derby...

Or,you could say that Rowett achieved his stated objective which was to reduce the squad and by removing fringe players like Shackell,Bent,Martin and Bennett with just Palmer incoming to replace Russell he’s succeeded! 

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

No idea if he’s a good player, I would imagine he is since he’s from Chelsea’s academy. But what he ain’t is an out and out winger to replace Russell, we needed a guy like Grosicki and we didn’t get him.

Palmer is not a bad player but whether he is good enough remains to be seen, i think he was on the bench for Hudds play off final....Grosicki would've been quite an exciting signing but looks like we're going to have to go with what we've got.

14 minutes ago, Andicis said:

To be perfectly honest, I'm completely underwhelmed. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but if this is our lot I'm disappointed. Don't think we really covered for Russell adequately. 

My feelings on losing players we have, whether they wanted to go or not and Palmer coming in tonight but let’s see CamJam over a longer period too.

Trust the bloke that got us to 2nd.

Just now, Zag zig said:

My feelings on losing players we have, whether they wanted to go or not and Palmer coming in tonight but let’s see CamJam over a longer period too.

Trust the bloke that got us to 2nd.

I trusted the blokes that got us to 1st. I trusted the blokes that got us into the playoffs. I'll believe in Gary, but I'll maintain a higher degree of cynicism compared to the last ones. I just think a winger signing might have energised us.

1 minute ago, Saity said:

Palmer is not a bad player but whether he is good enough remains to be seen, i think he was on the bench for Hudds play off final....Grosicki would've been quite an exciting signing but looks like we're going to have to go with what we've got.

He'd been injured previously. Huddersfield's front 3 normally consisted of Kachunga, Wells and Palmer. Out of the 3, Palmer stood out the most to me. Great touch, has the pace to get past a man and has the flair to create chances. Alongside Vydra and Lawrence, I reckon this could turn out to be a stellar signing

If lookman had signed like was agreed, the window would've been perfect. Overall, we have got rid of a lot of deadwood, loaned out youngsters to gain valuable experience and added quality and experience to our own squad. It has been a decent window, with the only concern that we are still relatively reliant on Vydra, but if lawrence can finally step up and palmer can hit the ground running, we could be on for a successful end to the season. 

Didn't we have a sell on clause for Christie? Palmer looks useful player because he can play multiple positions, and my biggest worry was if Vydra got injured.. he plays the role well? 

Disappointed with the Coventry Lad Bayliss, heard some good things about him recently and it'd be nice to have some raw talent in the building. Apparently he's a tackler ?

Grosicki would have been a special signing and we lack good delivery in the wide areas. 

Not fussed about anyone who went out, Bennett is at a good club and hopefully he'll kick on!

9 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Bent also out. And russell too. Plus we are short in midfield having let Bryson hughes and butterfield go last window. No youngsters as back up either ... We need to strengthen the squad and only 2 hours left.

Midfield? We've got Ledley, Thorne, Huddlestone and Johnson. 2 starting positions and two back ups, and all 4 are good in that position so it's possibly our second strongest position behind strikers in terms of squad competition.

Wingers we've got Lawrence, Weimann, Anya and Bennett. Anya has come in from out the cold as Russell has left.

Bent was surplus to requirements, simple as. Too many strikers, he was the odd one out. 

Rowett is looking at the bigger picture, and I commend that. We've got a good opportunity to get promoted this year, but the plan stays the same. Thin out the squad and focus on improving what we've got through coaching, and making additions when they make sense and not panic buying like our Red neighbours have just done, rightly to great ridicule.

This clearout was supposed to happen in the summer, but it's just happening now. If we opted not to offload anyone, or worse, offload them and then make big January signings, and fail to get promoted, where does that leave us next season? Exactly where we have been at the start of every season for the last few years - staring at a bloated squad wondering what the hell went wrong.

We've got to break that cycle, and this is how we do that.

8 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Think you could definitely argue that our squad is now weaker than it was in January 1st. Another odd January window for Derby...

Really? Under 23s are now all out experiencing 'proper' football rather than reserve football. 

Russell out, Palmer in. 1 player who expressed a desire to leave and wouldn't sign a new contract and although hard working could be frustrating (as well as being very similar to Weimann who has been the better of the two this season) out. 1 highly rated young prem loan in. 

Martin and Bent out, Jerome in. (2 strikers who are clearly not in our managers plans and will be on significant salaries out, a striker who is more suited to our system in and without strengthening promotion rivals with our outgoings). 

Carson/Mitchell/Roos

Wisdom/Baird

Olsson/Fozzy

Davies/Pearce/Keogh/ (Hudds if desperate)

Huddlestone/Thorne/ Ledley (Johnson if desperate)

Lawrence/Weimann/ Palmer/ Johnson/ Vydra

Nugent/Winnall/Jerome

An outfield squad of circa 18 which is what Rowett wanted and outlined when he arrived... 

Russell no better than our attacking options, Martin and Bent unsuited to Rowett's style, Shackell too expensive a bench warmer... 

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

Midfield? We've got Ledley, Thorne, Huddlestone and Johnson. 2 starting positions and two back ups, and all 4 are good in that position so it's possibly our second strongest position behind strikers in terms of squad competition.

Wingers we've got Lawrence, Weimann, Anya and Bennett. Anya has come in from out the cold as Russell has left.

Bent was surplus to requirements, simple as. Too many strikers, he was the odd one out. 

Rowett is looking at the bigger picture, and I commend that. We've got a good opportunity to get promoted this year, but the plan stays the same. Thin out the squad and focus on improving what we've got through coaching, and making additions when they make sense and not panic buying like our Red neighbours have just done, rightly to great ridicule.

This clearout was supposed to happen in the summer, but it's just happening now. If we opted not to offload anyone, or worse, offload them and then make big January signings, and fail to get promoted, where does that leave us next season? Exactly where we have been at the start of every season for the last few years - staring at a bloated squad wondering what the hell went wrong.

I agree with the end of this, but....

I really don't see Johnson being that good as defensive mid, can cope for the odd game maybe and don't see him effective as left of 3, maybe left mid into a 442.

Bennett has gone so we are weaker out wide than a week ago, significantly with him and Russell gone, whilst Lawrence continues to struggle and Weimann is just a poor Russell.

Palmer looks a panic.......

I'd have thought being 2nd in Jan would have slightly altered our approach, but we are 2nd, just would have liked to hav kept better kids around as cover. Remember that when we have been short, Bennett was also ahead of Anya.

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

Super post. The voice of reason. A breath of fresh air.

A little bit concerned by the situation out wide.

We have Weimann, who's prone to injury, and can't last 90minutes anyway.

Lawrence, who's got some kind of foot injury that has doctors baffled.

Anya, who was dead to Rowett until Tuesday.

Now Palmer, who played centrally for Huddersfield all last year.

17 minutes ago, Srg said:

A little bit concerned by the situation out wide.

We have Weimann, who's prone to injury, and can't last 90minutes anyway.

Lawrence, who's got some kind of foot injury that has doctors baffled.

Anya, who was dead to Rowett until Tuesday.

Now Palmer, who played centrally for Huddersfield all last year.

All true, and wieman and Lawrence have lost competition for thier spot which led to the likes of wieman doing slightly better than previous seasons because we would have sold him in the summer given a decent/ low bid.

i actually think we look more suited now to playing Johnson on the left as both Lawrence and wieman are rather weak at certain things

Archived