Transfer Deadline Day

Barney1991

24 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

McClean? you must be joking mate, Would of only took him on loan, never worth 15 million. Im just saying its poor business from us to not strengthen where were weak and where Gary said "We need more quality and magic". Simple.

Lets give Kasey Palmer a chance shall we , hes been in this situation before with Huddersfield , did ok there , why do we have to write players off all the time

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Edtheram said:

Poor window for us. Yes our team is second but we need players to give us that last push, The 2 signings weve made dont look like they fit into Gary's team right now, So if they are on the bench for the last 18 games how has this window helped? Weve lost Shackell, Martin, Russell and Bennett and replaced them with no one really. for me the signing of CJ wasn't needed and Palmer came out of the blue and probably wasn't even our first or second choice option. I want to see both players start Saturday, you bring players in to play - so play them. Get that energy through Palmer in the middle or wideish - pace and power from Jerome. I just look at our wide options, imagine we got to the play off final at wembley and were playing Villa/Bristol/Sheffield united - if our Ince replacement in Lawrence gets injured and we have to start with Anya and Weimann wide, we have no chance. Good Jesus derby. All this crap about having to move some out before someone in. Get the player you want early and then ship out. GR take note!

Ed get a grip man We've already won matches this season without Lawrence and if you went to Millwall you will know just how poor he was Your write Palmer probably wasn't first choice but that's football your not buying a car you can't always get what you want  " get the player you want then ship out " Well if every club did that then nobody would move 

Im not writing him off, or saying we cant win matches without Lawrence. I just dont think we have the strength in depth and quality in the areas we need it which is LB and out wide. Palmer played behind the striker for Huddersfield, now i cant see him moving Vydra out the side and if we play him wide its just going to be like Vydra under Pearson again where he was played out of position and that affected his quality and selection? 

You could say that there was less expectation for Palmer to succeed at Huddersfield however - They were never projected to perform the way they did last season.

However when you look at us you know that a load of our fans will get on his back and criticise him for not performing staright away.

Either way I hope that he performs well for us in the time that he has, give the lad a chance to perform well.

Excellent window only bettered if Lookman has not bailed last minute and gone to Leipzig, and Sunderland not being sticklers about making sure we took Steele perm if we went up. No thanks. 

But for me the best part of it all was that we appear to have kept Luke Thomas. Hopefully that was deliberate by GR and a precursor of him getting a crack in the first team soon.

I'm not saying we had the most exciting or even our best transfer window but a few comments on here have bemused me a little. Correct me if I'm wrong I have our squad as:

GK

Carson

Mitchell

Roos

RB

Baird

Wisdom

Anya/ Hanson

CB

Keogh

Davis

Pearce

Wisdom

Forsyth

LB

Forsyth

Ollsson

Anya

CM

Thorne

Huddlestone

Ledley

Hanson

Johnson

Wingers

Weimann

Lawrance

Palmer

Anya

Johnson

Thomas

CAM/No 10

Vydra

Palmer

Winnall

ST

Nugent

Jerome

Winnall

We're 2nd in the table (I know narrowly), we've reduced the squad size (so reducing wages and allowing younger players to train with seniors) and with our out goings taken into account we cant have had much of a net spend.

I don't look at that squad and panic about needing new players for the championship. Someone like Lookman would have been great of course, but we aren't exactly short on quality and depth. 

It's just the wingers for me. To say how hit and miss JR has been he's also come up with the goods a few times. Will Anya? Thomas? Is Johnson's obscure injury done with? 

I think realistically we've got Weimann, Lawrence and Palmer to rely on out wide and an injury or two is what will get me worried.

3 hours ago, Edtheram said:

Im not writing him off, or saying we cant win matches without Lawrence. I just dont think we have the strength in depth and quality in the areas we need it which is LB and out wide. Palmer played behind the striker for Huddersfield, now i cant see him moving Vydra out the side and if we play him wide its just going to be like Vydra under Pearson again where he was played out of position and that affected his quality and selection? 

out of the 4 you mentioned we have lost there was only Russell who made regular appearances this season,don,t see the need to panic,think everyone should chill and let the manager manage

TobyWanKenobi

Are there any examples of youth players going out on loan from us then coming back and doing well? Struggling to think of any.

4 hours ago, Seaside Sam said:

out of the 4 you mentioned we have lost there was only Russell who made regular appearances this season,don,t see the need to panic,think everyone should chill and let the manager manage

Swimming against the tide of the 'vocal and slightly hysterical'  minority there matey.

You are spot on

If you had said to anyone back in July (or October for that matter )  that we would spend the month of January 2018 in second place, everyone, I suspect (without exception), would have grabbed your arm off. Yet here we are and , lo and behold, its complaining time again and time for gnashing of teeth and hand wringing for the short-termist few.

I went to see Notts County last saturday in the cup against Swansea, seeing as we had no game. A truly bizarre and unusual experience. Sat in the packed main stand, I didn't hear one dissenting voice or cries of derision about their own players. Everyone there was backing their team. No effing or blinding about missed chances. No cries of "get i'm off" if ever there was a misplaced pass. Just a genuine support for their team to do the best they could. No inherent sense of entitlement, no expectation of perfection or anything like. And a sense of occasion and enjoyment of it. 

Some on here should try it some time

TobyWanKenobi
19 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Dean Sturridge.... and ermmmm....

Wow! And we only had to go back 25 years. :thumbsup:

So to sum up, if we send a player out on loan, that's their Derby career over.

13 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

Swimming against the tide of the 'vocal and slightly hysterical'  minority there matey.

You are spot on

If you had said to anyone back in July (or October for that matter )  that we would spend the month of January 2018 in second place, everyone, I suspect (without exception), would have grabbed your arm off. Yet here we are and , lo and behold, its complaining time again and time for gnashing of teeth and hand wringing for the short-termist few.

I went to see Notts County last saturday in the cup against Swansea, seeing as we had no game. A truly bizarre and unusual experience. Sat in the packed main stand, I didn't hear one dissenting voice or cries of derision about their own players. Everyone there was backing their team. No effing or blinding about missed chances. No cries of "get i'm off" if ever there was a misplaced pass. Just a genuine support for their team to do the best they could. No inherent sense of entitlement, no expectation of perfection or anything like. And a sense of occasion and enjoyment of it. 

Some on here should try it some time

Yeah but you need to take into account the fact that Notts get the better-quality fans, the riff raff go to the City Ground.

Archived