Millwall F.C. v Derby County F.C.

Boycie

28 minutes ago, irobinson said:

Looked at the highlights - really can’t complain at a draw.

we should be beating these teams - Villa and Fulham are doing it

Suddenly goals have dried up.......Vydra should have scored, Anya was a good goal

but we cleared off the line and keough nearly gave a pen away

jerome has to start imo 

When was that?  GT made an awful tackle just before Carson made his one and only save, the 'handball' was also GT.  KEO was brill again

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Lawrence and Weimann are only good at being ‘busy’ which just means running around with intent.

Both are poor footballers and so frustrating to watch. Poor control, no vision, no head up, no clinical passing and no threat to the opposition goalkeeper.

Meh. Welcome to 90% of championship level footballers.

Once you add ‘head up’ ‘vision’ and ‘clinical’ to their athleticism/pace they are no longer playing here. It’s why we should promote Thomas, as he’s young but he’s got it all going on.

Weimann in fairness is one of the best at running around causing trouble, so you at least have to give him that.

7 hours ago, Andicis said:

For context Wolves drew with Millwall. 

Boro lost to Millwall.

Villa drew with Millwall.

Sheff United lost to Millwall.

Cardiff drew with Millwall.

Bristol drew with Millwall.

I think we can relax, a lot of top teams struggled to beat Millwall, they defend well.

Well put Andicis, put in to perspective :thumbsup:

Mentioned on SSN last night Villa have Brum and Burton up next (thought they were getting very excited because Villa are on the up, suits me. Don’t mind us) and was an impressive result at Sheff U, but it’s still totally in our hands. SSA

45 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Mentioned on SSN last night Villa have Brum and Burton up next (thought they were getting very excited because Villa are on the up, suits me. Don’t mind us) and was an impressive result at Sheff U, but it’s still totally in our hands. SSA

I looked at the highlights and sheff united should have won that game by some margin, intresting league

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:
  1. The forward crossed to the near post and Huddlestone leapt foot first and kicked the striker in the head to prevent a goal-scoring opportunity. Stonewall penalty which the ref didn't give.

Jerome looked lively when he came on. Anya looked lively when he came on. Anya's offside goal was at our end and when he made the run I thought it was idiotic because it was impossible for him not to be offside making that particular run, and the flag duly went up. I haven't seen a replay and perhaps I'm wrong, but it was a poor decision by Anya to make that run and seemed inevitable the goal wouldn't stand.

Clearly, from Gary's comments I got the offside wrong: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gary-rowett-ikechi-anya-offside-1142450

They should have had the pen, but we'd have had time to recover. Two bad calls at the death of the last couple of matches are hard to take and have cost us 4 points. Let's hope it makes us stronger and more determined. 

16 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Clearly, from Gary's comments I got the offside wrong: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gary-rowett-ikechi-anya-offside-1142450

They should have had the pen, but we'd have had time to recover. Two bad calls at the death of the last couple of matches are hard to take and have cost us 4 points. Let's hope it makes us stronger and more determined. 

Bit disappointed to see Rowett resorting to this, he normally steers away from berating officials, something that I like from a manager.

It wasn't a very poor decision, it was a very tight call that could have gone either way.

We need to push the boat out on a good wide player , the ones we have have no end product and are massively frustrating in terms of dribbling down dead ends , falling over at the vital moment , failing to pass ,poor shooting and just generally giving the ball away ,, also fozzy is dire and has been for a while ,,, jr is our best wide player and he is gone and in fairness it’s debatable whether he was good enough for a promotion team ,,,,,, I love what gr is doing the only question is will he be undone by lack of real quality in the wide areas , bj is not the answer as his passing is way too poor as well

ok so we didn't win but in tight matches we don't lose either anymore. Every team will go on run of a few wins throughout a season and Villa are currently on theirs. 

We along with Wolves are the most  difficult teams to score against and therefore beat. I

We need to rediscover our goal scoring to maintain our 2nd position. 

keep ahead of Villa and we will get promoted.

It was a tight one f'sho. Thought we might nick it, but wasn't to be. 

Some minor concerns from yesterday's game:

- We looked scared to shoot. Both Fozzy and Wisdom got into some great positions and froze up.

- Attacking players didn't look like they were on a wavelength. We miscued that final ball time and time again. I don't get to games too often, so might be a one-off mind.

- Vydra didn't half get battered about. 

- Tom Ince > Tom Lawrence. 

- Fozzy all at sea composure-wise. 

Still, was nice to see new players like Cameron and Anya :ph34r: on the pitch. 

11 hours ago, Andicis said:

For context Wolves drew with Millwall. 

Boro lost to Millwall.

Villa drew with Millwall.

Sheff United lost to Millwall.

Cardiff drew with Millwall.

Bristol drew with Millwall.

I think we can relax, a lot of top teams struggled to beat Millwall, they defend well.

Good God man ,you can't come on here making rational [factual] statements like that.

9 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Not long back after a few post-game beers.

The basic summary is that we were comfortably the better team but never really threatened. Millwall sat back and we didn't move the ball fast or forward enough to cause them problems. I feel Vydra is carrying an injury.

On the whole, what is brilliant about our team is we don't look like conceding. Something really exceptional has to happen for our opponents to get a sniff, and in the first half it did indeed happen. Four consecutive farcical defensive errors saw:

1. Carson horribly slice a clearance high up into the sky
  2. Forsyth tried to kick the ball out of danger but ridiculously hooked it over his head back towards our goal
  3. Davies ran out to cover the danger, but missed and overran the ball, handballing it at the same time but the ref played a good advantage
  4. The forward crossed to the near post and Huddlestone leapt foot first and kicked the striker in the head to prevent a goal-scoring opportunity. Stonewall penalty which the ref didn't give.

Jerome looked lively when he came on. Anya looked lively when he came on. Anya's offside goal was at our end and when he made the run I thought it was idiotic because it was impossible for him not to be offside making that particular run, and the flag duly went up. I haven't seen a replay and perhaps I'm wrong, but it was a poor decision by Anya to make that run and seemed inevitable the goal wouldn't stand.

We have to start converting draws to wins pretty quickly as the chasing pack gathers behind us. It's great we look so solid but we need something more up front. I expect Jerome will start the net game as he did make a difference coming on. I still feel Martin would make a difference too, but we'll see if he's still here after tomorrow night.

Think this sums it up nicely.

I'd add that I thought the Millwall defence was good. Thought it contributed to our attack having an off day.

And, bit of an odd one, but were they pumping home crowd noise into the away end over the speakers at times? It certainly seemed like it. 

16 minutes ago, PLRam said:

Think this sums it up nicely.

I'd add that I thought the Millwall defence was good. Thought it contributed to our attack having an off day.

And, bit of an odd one, but were they pumping home crowd noise into the away end over the speakers at times? It certainly seemed like it. 

Home crowd? Was there one? Looked so empty.

Scores 

Carson 7 solid but not overworked 

Wisdom 7 solid at the back little wasteful going forward

Davis 7 Decent 

Keough 7 as above 

Forsyth 3 awful, needs replacing with Olsen on sat 

Thorne 5 poor again I’m afraid. Thought the break may do him good but Ledley for sat

Hudds 7 generally good but a few wayward passes

Weimann 6 ok but not threatening 

Lawrance 5 more lively than Bristol, full of ideas but most of them bad

Nugent 6 no threat but worked

Vydra 6 A’s above 

Gary 5/6 poor team selection, leaving some of the worst performers against Bristol in the side, although I except he had no choice on the wing unfortunately . Subs too late, It needed change on the hour mark at the latest 

We'll be fine - February will be an excellent month, and I detect a pattern.

October - Rowett Manager of the month.

November - Rowett not Manager of the month

December - Rowett Manager of the month

January - Rowett not Manager of the month

February - ???

Archived