Millwall F.C. v Derby County F.C.

Boycie

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Home crowd? Was there one? Looked so empty.

I think we do brilliantly to average 10-12,000 most seasons.

Our catchment area is restricted by the Thames a mile or so to the north, Charlton 4 miles to the east, Palace down the road in the south and Chelsea in the west. 

We have never had any period of sustained success (bounced between 2nd & 3rd tier all our history) - yet have to compete for fans with some of the biggest clubs in World football in Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham Hotspur and West Ham United. All but a tube ride away. 

And with our rep and lack of success, even Crystal Palace and Charlton Athletic look very attractive alternatives. Especially as Charlton have 150 quid season tickets and give 3,000 tickets away regularly.

A club with all these problems would not exist in Spain, Italy or France - let alone regularly attract 5 figure crowds and be able to take 40-50,000 to Wembley to watch a mickey mouse cup or a third tier play-off. 

You have no idea, as a one club big city, how hard it is to survive in London football. Brutal. But, the flip side of that is it means success can draw in huge crowd - Millwall used to get 25-35,000 for Div2 & 3 football when the docks were thriving & 40-50,000 for derby games and cup matches. That floating support is still there. Give Lewisham & Southwark a decent Premier League club to support and you would get decent crowds and have potentially a bigger club than small two club cities like Nottingham and Stoke could ever have. 

Plus, last night I turned back - as trains were screwed. I know lots that did the same. Any support coming in from Greater London boroughs to south and east on trains may have given it a miss - as would have expected c.12,000 home fans for Derby in normal conditions. 

30 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

"needs replacing with Olsen on sat "

So you want to mess with a defence that isn't conceded goals... great idea...

Yes please, his distribution over the last 2 games has contributed to our lack of goals in these games, although I except it’s not the major reason. Also replace Thorne with Ledley, he’s struggling at the moment. Out goes Nugent for Winnall too, he’s not looking as threatening as he was. That team should easily win on Saturday imho. But if either winger is having a mare get Anya on with at least 30 mins to go

17 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Those photo's were definitely taken at half time or after the final whistle. Was much, much busier than that. I was two rows in front of these guys:

AC-008.jpg

The dude on the left was screaming "HALLLLELUUUJAH ANYA" at the top of his lungs, every 30 seconds for the last 10 mins. Never seen someone so excited for a player who's barely played.

1 hour ago, ttkk said:

Our catchment area is restricted by the Thames a mile or so to the north, Charlton 4 miles to the east, Palace down the road in the south and Chelsea in the west. 

We have never had any period of sustained success (bounced between 2nd & 3rd tier all our history) - yet have to compete for fans with some of the biggest clubs in World football in Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham Hotspur and West Ham United. All but a tube ride away. 

And with our rep and lack of success, even Crystal Palace and Charlton Athletic look very attractive alternatives. Especially as Charlton have 150 quid season tickets and give 3,000 tickets away regularly.

A club with all these problems would not exist in Spain, Italy or France - let alone regularly attract 5 figure crowds and be able to take 40-50,000 to Wembley to watch a mickey mouse cup or a third tier play-off. 

You have no idea, as a one club big city, how hard it is to survive in London football. Brutal. But, the flip side of that is it means success can draw in huge crowd - Millwall used to get 25-35,000 for Div2 & 3 football when the docks were thriving & 40-50,000 for derby games and cup matches. That floating support is still there. Give Lewisham & Southwark a decent Premier League club to support and you would get decent crowds and have potentially a bigger club than small two club cities like Nottingham and Stoke could ever have. 

Well that told me. :)

1 hour ago, ttkk said:

You make some good points there mate. I've never particularly liked Millwall because of their fans. (Personal experiences rather than reputation). You're posts pre & post match have given me food for thought that you're not not all full of anger, rage & attitude.

Nice one 

37 minutes ago, Ramshankered said:

Those photo's were definitely taken at half time or after the final whistle. Was much, much busier than that. I was two rows in front of these guys:

AC-008.jpg

The dude on the left was screaming "HALLLLELUUUJAH ANYA" at the top of his lungs, every 30 seconds for the last 10 mins. Never seen someone so excited for a player who's barely played.

It always amazes me how our players get better if they don't play!!

1 hour ago, Inverurie Ram said:

1 hour ago, Ramshankered said:

As @ttkksaid the trains to South Bermondsey were screwed, all cancelled. We got there a few minutes after kickoff and lots of people were still arriving then. Don't understand the DET making such a strange comment when if B4 was right we sold around 1400 tickets and that's what it looked like once everyone was in the ground. The ridiculous photos show you shouldn't believe anything you read in the papers.

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

As @ttkksaid the trains to South Bermondsey were screwed, all cancelled. We got there a few minutes after kickoff and lots of people were still arriving then. Don't understand the DET making such a strange comment when if B4 was right we sold around 1400 tickets and that's what it looked like once everyone was in the ground. The ridiculous photos show you shouldn't believe anything you read in the papers.

Was 993 with on the day available, can't imagine many did that though.

1 hour ago, Ramshankered said:

Those photo's were definitely taken at half time or after the final whistle. Was much, much busier than that. 

Think those pictures were taken early, maybe an hour or so before kick off. Most of those away fan galleries on the Derby Telegraph website seem to be. Don't know why they do that. Very misrepresentative of the level of travelling support.

There were 1,109 away fans last night according to the Derby Telegraph report.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Presumably you got the late 7:40pm train as well then? When I arrived it was way, way busier than those photos imply. 

6 minutes ago, Ramshankered said:

Presumably you got the late 7:40pm train as well then? When I arrived it was way, way busier than those photos imply. 

Didn't want to risk that as the two before were cancelled so Jubilee Line to Canada Water and Overground one stop to Surrey Quays, and then a mile walk from there. You probably beat me! Thos photos are utter nonsense. Pretty well all the seats were taken.

43 minutes ago, PLRam said:

Think those pictures were taken early, maybe an hour or so before kick off. Most of those away fan galleries on the Derby Telegraph website seem to be. Don't know why they do that. Very misrepresentative of the level of travelling support.

There were 1,109 away fans last night according to the Derby Telegraph report.

Maybe the DT photographer shouldn't bother as it just always paints a picture of a poor away support when indeed it isn't. Maybe he/she just does it, to check the camera is working fine and ready to take pictures of the Derby players warming up and in match action etc. Surely he/she could take a few snaps of the crowd whilst the game is in action or when there's stoppages for injuries, subs etc which will produce better pictures and represent our true away support instead of just showing a load of early fans and even more empty seats.

D.C.F.C. Love, Life & Unity.

1 hour ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Maybe the DT photographer shouldn't bother as it just always paints a picture of a poor away support when indeed it isn't. Maybe he/she just does it, to check the camera is working fine and ready to take pictures of the Derby players warming up and in match action etc. Surely he/she could take a few snaps of the crowd whilst the game is in action or when there's stoppages for injuries, subs etc which will produce better pictures and represent our true away support instead of just showing a load of early fans and even more empty seats.

D.C.F.C. Love, Life & Unity.

He always takes the photos about an hour before kick-off so they never include the fans who come up from the concourse late or arrive from local boozers five minutes before kick off.

At least they prove my husband was where he said he was last night!

Archived