POLL: The McClaren era(s)

Mostyn6

Following that F*rest defeat, and Clough's sacking...  

260 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, Seaside Sam said:

Cannot believe we are still wasting time talking about this, he has gone you have just got to let it go.NEW ERA!!!

the point is to educate Ninos that most fans don't totally write off the MacClaren era

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me it wasn’t Mclaren alone that I was excited by. When he was first announced I was kinda indifferent. It was the announcement of Simpson and Steele that made me think that Sam Rush had pulled off a bit of a master stroke. At the time some people thought Clough should’ve been given more time, but I could see why the road had come to an end.

I’m still in a hangover over Steve’s first tenure. Maybe we all are..?

Despite the current good form I’m still not in love with GR and his style of play as much as I was with the Play Off final season. 

But I am coming round.

Voted no because at the time he was appointed I honestly didn’t want him and thought it was a bit of a joke appointment ( felt similar with Jim smith) to be fair tho I’m not one for cutting my nose off to spite my face and had my opinion changed pretty quick ,

he did fantastical well and it was one of those things where he just fitted and it was where he was meant to be , the silly arse should have come out and said he was staying at derby from the first mention of the Newcastle job but he ran before he could walk and by that I mean at derby he was on to something and he was rebuilding his reputation and earning respect from the football world again , he had not completed the task and went to Newcastle unwanted by the fans and set up to fail in a way he would not have been had he stayed loyal and completed the job at derby and built something ,,, yes I know he will have done ok financially through it but I’m willing to bet he would in hindsight trade a bit of the doe for the coaching / managing respect he really wants but he had a brief spell with Newcastle and is now back to the position he was pre derby mac1 where nobody is interested in employing him as manager,,

mac2 was was a bit of a daft one , the magic blend had gone and was just trying to go backwards in the same way some fans want to hang on to Martin ,Hughes ,Ince 4/3/3 and the like ,

mac1 at derby was his right time right place situation to rebuild his reputation and he fumbled it,

just the way I see it

I voted yes because I was pleased with the appointment,  partly because I was relieved to see Nigel go but also because I have always liked him. I never really recognised the self-serving snake descriptions that appeared on here when the Newcastle stuff played out, so I was also pleased when he came back.

I was livid at the time.  All worked out pretty well in the end (well, until he got sacked obvs).  

The whole experience taught me to  not get too fussed about managerial comings and goings.  Sometimes they work. Sometimes they don't.  Past experience of the manager doesn't always  seem to play a massive part in that success or failure.  Just chill and see what happens.  The whole thing made me a better person 

:D

P.s.  I'd probably got over my anger at the end of that Ipswich game! 

1 minute ago, LazloW said:

I was livid at the time.  All worked out pretty well in the end (well, until he got sacked obvs).  

The whole experience taught me to  not get too fussed about managerial comings and goings.  Sometimes they work. Sometimes they don't.  Past experience of the manager doesn't always  seem to play a massive part in that success or failure.  Just chill and see what happens.  The whole thing made me a better person 

:D

I’d argue it’s not past experiences that don’t matter but past successes which are irrelevant.

I always thought Clough was building a Dutch style footballing side for Metgod to work with and so with Twente in mind and the squad available McClaren made perfect sense.

I voted yes because I read it as @Moist One meant it, looking back at it knowing everything. As much as I didn't expect the Clough sacking  after the Forest game neither did I foresee the journey Mac1 would take us on. I presume nobody did. Even if you despise the bloke now I doubt very much that anybody can really look back on that play off final season and not say that they enjoyed it until the moment the ball fell at Zamoras feet. Ouch that even hurts writing it. I'll be honest I'm still a little indifferent towards Rowett and I can't give you a plausible reason why but that doesn't stop me enjoying the run we're on and seeing us occupying one of those automatic slots. I just hope beyond hope he's the one to get us over the line and those nagging doubts about him disappear. UTR

Without hindsight, I was just glad to see the end of Nigel Clough's tenure that I would have been happy had Ronald McDonald walked through the door after him. Probably a tad harsh and in no way personal at all, the football just wore me down so much over the years that I started to see Bill Murray in the dugout and endless years of games v Ipswich Town.

I don't recall being overly optimistic at the time with the McClaren appointment, was fairly open minded and had no expectations, in truth I can't remember any manager really standing out who I wanted or what the clubs ambitions were. For years I tried to buy into the idea they wanted promotion and that Nathan Tyson could be the key but by October you could see where we was heading. Nowhere.

With hindsight, absolutely. The appointment was the first chapter where life was kicked back into this football club, the 13/14 season was honestly one of the most enjoyable I have seen as a Derby fan up until the Wembley trip. 

The following season took some of the shine of his time at here, I wouldn't say the Newcastle thing derailed our season on it's own, we lost key players but the distraction wouldn't have helped.  

I don't blame him for wanting the Newcastle job, in fact I understand why he would have wanted it, that's not to say he couldn't have handled the situation better. Some will and still do blame Radio Derby largely, but rumours were not going away and fans wanted answers. 

Look at this Rowett and Stoke thing, they didn't even make an official approach yet some were genuinely calling for statements from club and manager. If you want to blame local media, share some of that with the fans that they are reporting for as this is where drama originates from hanging on to every word a red top sticks out there.  

Either way I will always hold fond memories of his time at Derby, think it's a huge shame that these debates will rumble on for years overshadowing the football that was played during his time at the club. 

Just to get this on record, I would not like to see Mac III ever happen if things went Pete Tong with Rowett. Time to draw a line under that one and move on. I highly doubt it will ever happen anyway.

At the time no, but with hindsight, clearly yes. In truth I'm not sure I'd have fired any of them apart from Old Blockhead who was a disaster right from the off.

Ironically, I wasn't as against Pearson as I was Mac to begin with at least, which clearly shows you how much I know!

At the time, I didn't really want him. I was happy with Simpson & Steele. 

He proved me very, very wrong. It's the best football I've seen in the past 20 years. The final 10 games of that first season was so good to watch. Thorne in full flow & our entire team just seemed to be in top form. It didn't end well, sure, but the play-off games against Brighton was thoroughly enjoyable! 

Not entirely sure what the point of the poll is (don't think many dispute his 1st spell exceeded expectations) & I don't really believe the results either. I seem to remember the general consensus when we appointed him was very wary in view of his recent poor stints at Forest, Wolfsburg & Twente (the second time) and of course the England spell. That said, there were some on here who were very enthusiastic...and they were proven right to be so. 

What would be more interesting would be to speculate how Derby & McClaren would have done in 2015/16 had he not been sacked. Eustace had gone (a key element of our 13/14 side) & the surprise element in McClaren's first season had long gone - fan expectations had also gone through the roof, we expected success AND good football (some of that legacy is still with us of course). Would McClaren have been capable of picking up the team to go up after missing out so disastrously on the playoffs the year before?  

I was Happy with Mac, but not the way Clough was sacked, the football under Clough was boring though and I felt the time was right. 

I also wanted Clement. His reputaion was massive as the next big thing and had heard his name for a year on talk sport. Though it was an excellent appointment. How wrong was I. We’ve never been so successful and so turgid at the same time. 

I also wanted Pearson, oh well.

Mac 2 was a surprise. 

Rowett was top of my list as a replacement once Mac 2 had gone. I’d listened to him in a few interviews while at Burton and Brum and though he really knew what he was talking about and not in a ‘clishe’ kind of way. 

I didn't want Clough sacked in the first place but thought Mac was an inspired replacement. Always thought he got way too much negative press for the time he had with England and thought he was a good unifying appointment at a difficult time. It felt like Derby was a salvation for him and a good opportunity for him to show how good a coach he is. Only took the second half of the Ipswich game to really get me going. For me he's not good when the going gets tough but it was only fine margins/errors and a horrific series of injuries that stopped us getting promoted. 

Second spell I didn't particularly want him back it felt like we and the world had moved on. Compared to Gary he now looks a bit of a dinosaur, that's how rapidly football has moved on.

People can write pages smudging more and more lipstick on this managerial pig, but frankly it’s good the pig is long gone and we don’t have to be fed the same stale sausages* every week.

*Apologies to the moderator for the slight on sausages.

29 minutes ago, Ninos said:

People can write pages smudging more and more lipstick on this managerial pig, but frankly it’s good the pig is long gone and we don’t have to be fed the same stale sausages* every week.

*Apologies to the moderator for the slight on sausages.

Specifically to you @Ninos , even (knowing what you know) now, would you have appointed someone else following Clough's sacking?

Archived