POLL: The McClaren era(s)

Mostyn6

Following that F*rest defeat, and Clough's sacking...  

260 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Moist One said:

Specifically to you @Ninos , even (knowing what you know) now, would you have appointed someone else following Clough's sacking?

Tough. Can’t really answer not knowing all the possible candidates but I would say I was neutral at the time. Knew we needed a new direction but unsure if he was the man.

11 minutes ago, Malagaram said:

Why so much is written here on McClaren,forget the past,he's gone and forgotten,concentrate on the here and now.

2 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

I can't see the point of this survey. We might as well have one saying 'Should we have sold Steve Bloomer in 1906?'

It's History.

if you're not interested, then stay away. The topic was raised as some posters, such as @Ninos commented in the Gary Rowett contract thread about McClaren and gave the impression that they have no appreciation for what SMc did to rejuvenate this club. It beggars belief that some people cannot give credit where it is due. I was mindful of not ruining that thread.

your comment is not valid as there are 9 pages of response and 232 voters.

27 minutes ago, Moist One said:

if you're not interested, then stay away. The topic was raised as some posters, such as @Ninos commented in the Gary Rowett contract thread about McClaren and gave the impression that they have no appreciation for what SMc did to rejuvenate this club. It beggars belief that some people cannot give credit where it is due. I was mindful of not ruining that thread.

your comment is not valid as there are 9 pages of response and 232 voters.

At no point have I mentioned about 'not giving credit', I just don'tsee the point of having a 'vote' on it. It's history.

And if disagreeing withsomeone's point of view is dismissed as not being valid, there's no point having a forum.

The number of pages and responses is irrelevant. There are loads of threads on this site that run into those sort of numbers based on puns alone.

2 hours ago, Ninos said:

People can write pages smudging more and more lipstick on this managerial pig, but frankly it’s good the pig is long gone and we don’t have to be fed the same stale sausages* every week.

*Apologies to the moderator for the slight on sausages.

could not agree with you more!

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Tough. Can’t really answer not knowing all the possible candidates but I would say I was neutral at the time. Knew we needed a new direction but unsure if he was the man.

but the other potential candidates do not bring guarantees of even bettering Clough's time, whereas McClaren (and Steele and Simpson) exceeded all expectations, even exceeded optimistic fantasy, surely you're honest enough to acknowledge his time here was special.

In both spells, he's our best manager in terms of win ration, using the norm that less than 10 matches doesn't really count.

And it's not just results, some of the football was amazing.

image.png.c7786518d0b3c7e35b5b72ab5c92b99e.png

41 minutes ago, Moist One said:

but the other potential candidates do not bring guarantees of even bettering Clough's time, whereas McClaren (and Steele and Simpson) exceeded all expectations, even exceeded optimistic fantasy, surely you're honest enough to acknowledge his time here was special.

In both spells, he's our best manager in terms of win ration, using the norm that less than 10 matches doesn't really count.

And it's not just results, some of the football was amazing.

Special in what sense? It was enjoyable (well, until the last 10 games of 2014/15) but we didn't go up or achieve anything tangible.

Regarding your point about win ratios, that isn't really a fair way to appraise a manager's performance at a club. Jim Smith isn't even on the list you've produced but he got us promoted & achieved 2 top half Premiership finishes.  I don't think any sensible poster would say McClaren's spell in charge was better than Jim Smith's.

2 hours ago, Malagaram said:

Why so much is written here on McClaren,forget the past,he's gone and forgotten,concentrate on the here and now.

Always find the posts that tell people to stop discussing stuff on a forum for discussion quite weird. People talk about what they want to talk about.

McClaren and Mel have been the most influential figures in Derby for the past 4 years, they are naturally going to be discussed a lot on here.

His influence is still very obvious and has been for years, even when he got sacked we were trying to recapture his style and managers were sacked for going away from it too much, once to be replaced with McClaren himself.

McClaren’s initial spell brought us back into the spotlight and made us a big club again, in an extremely exciting way. Despite never achieving the ultimate goal, a lot of people believed in him and a lot of people on here are naturally still fans of him.

A lot of people wouldn’t have had him sacked last year. I wouldn’t have.

It doesn’t mean I’m not a Rowett fan, I genuinely bloody love the bloke now.

It’s the same as in McClaren’s first tenure, a lot of people still spoke about Clough and got similar reactions to the people who still talk about McClaren on here. We were flying under Mac but Clough’s influence on the club was still massive so he was spoken about a lot.

I bet if this forum was around in 1976, people would still be talking about Brian Clough even though we’d won the league under Mackay.

4 hours ago, Ninos said:

People can write pages smudging more and more lipstick on this managerial pig, but frankly it’s good the pig is long gone and we don’t have to be fed the same stale sausages* every week.

*Apologies to the moderator for the slight on sausages.

Are you referring to Clough or Mac and could you not help yourself doing it in such a crass manner? 

1 hour ago, Leicester Ram said:

Always find the posts that tell people to stop discussing stuff on a forum for discussion quite weird. People talk about what they want to talk about.

McClaren and Mel have been the most influential figures in Derby for the past 4 years, they are naturally going to be discussed a lot on here.

His influence is still very obvious and has been for years, even when he got sacked we were trying to recapture his style and managers were sacked for going away from it too much, once to be replaced with McClaren himself.

McClaren’s initial spell brought us back into the spotlight and made us a big club again, in an extremely exciting way. Despite never achieving the ultimate goal, a lot of people believed in him and a lot of people on here are naturally still fans of him.

A lot of people wouldn’t have had him sacked last year. I wouldn’t have.

It doesn’t mean I’m not a Rowett fan, I genuinely bloody love the bloke now.

It’s the same as in McClaren’s first tenure, a lot of people still spoke about Clough and got similar reactions to the people who still talk about McClaren on here. We were flying under Mac but Clough’s influence on the club was still massive so he was spoken about a lot.

I bet if this forum was around in 1976, people would still be talking about Brian Clough even though we’d won the league under Mackay.

Couldn't agree more. Clough did a terrific job in stabilising the club, played some good football in spells, but we were never going to be challenging for the play-offs let alone promotion under him.

Mac bought a real excitement back by being a better coach than Clough, and getting the team to play to the potential they showed under Clough. It was also unsuccessful but it became the foundation on which Mel purchased the club, and the majority of the fans now expect top 6 as opposed mid-table under NC. Mac was the catalyst for that IMO.

1 hour ago, ram1964 said:

SM.

Won nothing, fact

Caused division between supporters fact

Caused division within the team, fact.

Caused disruption and uncertainties within the club,fact.

Gary Rowett.

Won nothing, fact

I too can write opinion/misleading statements and dress it up as fact.

Some people are embarrassing on this issue, it’s like when your mate breaks up with his girlfriend and suddenly pretends he hated her, she was ugly and ***** in bed.

If it wasn’t for Nigel Clough and Steve McClaren, we wouldn’t have a local multi-millionaire running the club, a position that about 90% of clubs in the country would kill for.

Do you think Mel was thinking about buying us before McClaren took over?

Neither of them got us promoted but the level of their achievements is extremely obvious for anyone who is actually a Derby fan and interested in the long term health of the club. Clough laid the foundations and McClaren took us to the next level. No ones done any better than him yet, remember.

I want promotion as much as the next Ram but it’s not the be all and end all of Football existence.

For anyone who was posting on here when we were haggling over 150k for Adam Le Fondre, the impact of McClaren and Clough on Derby should be appreciated massively. 

I hate the amount of disrespect they get on here, it must be from fans who only remembered where Pride Park was in 2014.

Rowett truly is the future of this club, I think his appointment signals the start of a new era but he’s building on top of what McClaren and Clough already built.

It’s just a shame we got sidetracked and didn’t hire someone as good as Rowett as soon as Mac left the first time.

25 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Gary Rowett.

Won nothing, fact

I too can write opinion/misleading statements and dress it up as fact.

Rollocks, what disruption and uncertainties has GR created within the club ,other than the team continuing to improve and progress up the table.

How can something be misleading when its a fact?

What disruption has GR created within the team.? Never looked more like a team  with good competion amongst players.

Rowett hasnt been in charge for any length of time to have won anything,Impossible to have won anything at the point he joined us last season, and this season hasnt been completed.  So totally ambiguous ,immature irrational and stupid comment. Not that any manager should be expected to win anything in less than 10 months at the club.

Fact!

Archived