Gary Rowett “under consideration” for Stoke job

Nuwtfly

11 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

This line 'The Sentinel understands that representatives of Rowett had made his interest in the Stoke vacancy known to the club.' is interesting but it could simply be that when asked by Stoke his agent said yes of course we would be prepared to have a conversation, would be foolish not to.

But they write an article which sort of suggests Rowett approached them. Like the other article they printed about who is a bigger club, sounds like its been written by a Stoke fan whos using the publication to air his own views.

Would it be any different to the trout tickling that mac was suspected of?

it will be interesting to see if owen asks him about it. My guess is that he won't. 

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RamNut said:

Wouldn't it be any different to the trout tickling that mac was suspected of?

it will be interesting to see if owen asks him about it. My guess is that he won't. 

Probably not, I think the Mac stuff was all blown up out of proportion. Rowett would have a pretty crappy agent if he didnt keep an eye out for opportunities.

We all demand he is loyal but how many of us would at least welcome a discussion if a company came along offering us a job we love doing but with more recognition or a vastly higher salary?

I'm not sure.....if what the Sentinel says is true it would leave a bit of a sour taste 

The Sentinel understands that representatives of Rowett had made his interest in the Stoke vacancy known to the club.

His record in just 10 months at Derby - they currently lie second in the Championship - had not gone unnoticed by Stoke’s board.

But his lack of Premier League experience as a manager was always a concern, too, after being left in the drop zone by Hughes.

And the board was never entirely convinced that Rowett would readily leave Derby, a club so close to his heart, and when automatic promotion remains such a possibility.

Their scepticism was justified, as it turned out, because all of a sudden Rowett appears ready to sign a new and improved contract at Derby - leaving the cynics to assume that was his intention all along and the possibility of him leaving for Stoke was floated to facilitate that.

Not that it matters now but the fact Stoke only named the interim manager on Monday tells me that they had a clear target. Mel is no fool, I find it difficult to imagine he didn't foresee interest especially with Hughes teetering on the brink for a while. Did Rowett use it to get a better deal? Read so much garbage the last few days, just seems more mischief making. I like Rowett so I will trust what he says and what has officially happened.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

This line 'The Sentinel understands that representatives of Rowett had made his interest in the Stoke vacancy known to the club.' is interesting but it could simply be that when asked by Stoke his agent said yes of course we would be prepared to have a conversation, would be foolish not to.

But they write an article which sort of suggests Rowett approached them. Like the other article they printed about who is a bigger club, sounds like its been written by a Stoke fan whos using the publication to air his own views.

I was more concerned with their suggestion that Rowett had approached Stoke purely in order to get a better deal at Derby - unless they have proof of that, they're on pretty thin ice....

9 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I was more concerned with their suggestion that Rowett had approached Stoke purely in order to get a better deal at Derby - unless they have proof of that, they're on pretty thin ice....

Agents probably. Plausible deniability. But the existence and value of the release clause got to be known.

stir the pot. Win win. Get a lucrative deal and a longer contract from whoever. 

Stoke Sentinal is run by the same company that runs the Derby Telegraph and a load of other local news outlets.

Having previously worked for Local World I got the impression they seem to place absolutely no emphasis on quality journalism and their entire focus is on how they can make money from ad revenue on their websites. I was glad to be rid of them when I left.

That is why they all use the same indentikit crap website, its why you see 'articles' based on nothing but tweets, opinion columns written by random people with daft opinions and other irrelevant toss. Quantity over quality to throw as much ad space at you as possible.

If Rowett used the Stoke job to get a better contract then so be it. He's come in and brought a sense of stability that we haven't had in a while, plus he seems to have the team playing for him. So far we're achieving much more than was expected in his first season and to want a new contract to reflect that doesn't seem unreasonable 

On 1/7/2018 at 16:35, LeyStand said:

Sean Dyche is on £420,000 at Burnley, Derby County will not be paying GR anywhere near that figure. FYI Nigel Clough was only on £100,000 p.a.

Ridiculously inaccurate - Dyche is paid more than Burnley's best paid players (there are two or three) on £1.8 million a year.

Dyche, who had yet another pay rise a few weeks ago, is on more than £1.8 million.

Just now, Grantona said:

Ridiculously inaccurate - Dyche is paid more than Burnley's best paid players (there are two or three) on £1.8 million a year.

Dyche, who had yet another pay rise a few weeks ago, is on more than £1.8 million.

Doing the sums says your best paid players are on less than 20k per week?

That right - when we pay CMartin for example something like double that?

3 hours ago, Grantona said:

5 minutes research on google 

https://www.express.co.uk/pictures/sport/6603/Premier-League-manager-pay-contract-value-sportgalleries

4 hours ago, LeyStand said:

Who to believe? The bastion of journalism that is the Express, using a slide show from over 1 and a half years ago, or a Burnley fan who should be well attuned to goings on up north? I imagine he'll have got a few pay rises over the last year or so for exceeding targets set by the board.

Archived