Gary Rowett “under consideration” for Stoke job

Nuwtfly

I just can't see this happening. Gaz is still a young guy in management terms and has plenty of time to make his mark in the top flight (with us).

Lived in this area for over 20 years, a clear affinity for the club, his "dream job" according to his own words, and some think he'd just walk out with the club 2nd in the league and potentially just 20 games from a promotion that would mark his place in the club's history.

Nah, not happening.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

It won’t get any better under Rowett. The standard of player may improve over time, and thus the effectiveness, but let’s not kid ourselves. Rowett has his style of football, and we will play it that way regardless.

We’re not as dull as say a Burnley or West Brom, but we’re much closer to that style than say Southampton who were genuinely entertaining under Adkins, Pochettino and Koeman or Swansea under Rodgers and Laudrup.

I hope we get to the PL under Rowett and he establishes us up there, but I can’t say I’m particularly excited for it. Even if he had us in the top half or doing a Burnley, I’d still be bored watching us.

I’d rather just watch us play decent football than so-called ‘succeed’ playing ‘Rowetball’. 

I’m no doubt in the minority, but even staying in the Championship playing the way we did under Burley and McClaren for me is far more entertaining than being a West Ham and finishing 13th in the PL every season under a manager like Moyes.

Ok I'll try again. 

What is the definition of 'good football'?

I thought the idea of football is to score as many as possible and stop your opponents from scoring?

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Ok I'll try again. 

I thought the idea of football is to score as many as possible and stop your opponents from scoring?

I think when we 'break' our football is very exciting right now. We dont do tippy tappy keeping possession like we have done in the past but on the break we are excellent.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Ok I'll try again. 

But... but... erm... Pep Guardiola...

Just now, Paul71 said:

I think when we 'break' our football is very exciting right now. We dont do tippy tappy keeping possession like we have done in the past but on the break we are excellent.

Early on in the season I think we could be accused of too many aimless long balls. 

Now its something that we only tend to do when under the cosh and we are actually much more controlled at getting the ball forward quickly. 

If supposed good football is just about passing, why did so many get bored of the football under Clement?

5 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

But... but... erm... Pep Guardiola...

It don't see a problem if it's tippy tappy football that he enjoys watching, personally I just find it very boring and not exciting in the least.

And just for clarification I dont see his current team as tippy tappy. 

21 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Read through about 200 comments on the stoke job by stoke fans, Rowetts name doesn’t even pop up once.

Have you looked on "oatcakes"? Poor reception on my train so I can't see what's been said but three threads on the front page mention his name. 

On a positive note - it's January. Stoke need to get someone in in time to do business this window. GR is under contract so unless Mel rolls over and packs GR's lunch for him - they won't be able to get it done in time. Mel just has to indicate that he'll be playing hardball, and this should all go away.

There was a discussion on the morning show on talksport yesterday that concluded there was a contradiction in what stoke needed this season to survive and what they were ambitious to achieve longer term in terms of developing their playing style.

They might conclude that an arry or MON for the rest of the season will do to keep them up and take their time over the longer term appointment which is where I see GR may be considered. 

So this may linger around for a while depending on how stoke approach the short term/long term thing.

All this worrying over G R has to stop bookmakers make odds on the amount of cash being pushed on one candidate or the other, at the moment on sky bet Rory Delap is on 66/1 put  put twenty grand on him a watch the odds tumble and as they do more folk put a tenner on and they tumble again and so on

5 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

There was a discussion on the morning show on talksport yesterday that concluded there was a contradiction in what stoke needed this season to survive and what they were ambitious to achieve longer term in terms of developing their playing style.

They might conclude that an arry or MON for the rest of the season will do to keep them up and take their time over the longer term appointment which is where I see GR may be considered. 

So this may linger around for a while depending on how stoke approach the short term/long term thing.

He won't go there in the Summer. It's now or never. If GR gets us promoted, Stoke can't offer him anythng better than we can. If he doesn't get us promoted the rest of our season will have been patchy, so they will no longer want him. If they get relegated he wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. 

I don't remember the last time I saw any club making a statement saying their manager was staying when they've been 'under consideration' for another job.

Statements come when something has happened. 

People need to calm themselves. Stoke will appoint someone non-Rowett and people will still complain that no statement came out of Derby.

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

It won’t get any better under Rowett. The standard of player may improve over time, and thus the effectiveness, but let’s not kid ourselves. Rowett has his style of football, and we will play it that way regardless.

We’re not as dull as say a Burnley or West Brom, but we’re much closer to that style than say Southampton who were genuinely entertaining under Adkins, Pochettino and Koeman or Swansea under Rodgers and Laudrup.

I hope we get to the PL under Rowett and he establishes us up there, but I can’t say I’m particularly excited for it. Even if he had us in the top half or doing a Burnley, I’d still be bored watching us.

I’d rather just watch us play decent football than so-called ‘succeed’ playing ‘Rowetball’. 

I’m no doubt in the minority, but even staying in the Championship playing the way we did under Burley and McClaren for me is far more entertaining than being a West Ham and finishing 13th in the PL every season under a manager like Moyes.

Blimey Bris, what does Rowett have to do?!!! We are currently the second highest scorers with the second meanest defence in the Division!!!!

36 minutes ago, simsdcfc said:

betting is at 1/2 now

no announcement from club saying hes staying

the alarm bells are ringing

Are these the same alarm bells that were ringing in the S6 area when Stevie Mac's odds for the Wednesday job were as low as 1/6?

As @glyn1957 pointed out, odds shouldn't be taken as proof that it will happen, just that money is being placed.

Archived