Thoughts on Lawrence so far

Sparkle

1 minute ago, cannable said:

Far too much has been made of him not scoring 

He wasnt bought for his tackling was he? Gaols and assists is what we want from him, one of each in last two games which is better but he still needs to up his performance. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought his play in setting up the Fulham goal was outstanding. Great tackle followed by a lovely trick to take out 3 defenders and then superb awareness and a subte touch to feed vydra. We wouldn't hear the last of it had it been A Man City player. 

Just needs more consistency. 

2 hours ago, ossieram said:

Players are under enough pressure without the announcer letting them know that it's about time they scored a goal.

Yes players are under enough pressure enough as it is, without being subjected to honesty. 

2 hours ago, ossieram said:

The prat who does the announcing needed a kick to the gonads after Lawrence scored.

I don't know if anybody else noticed, but he announced a QPR substitution straight after the goal and then said something along the lines of "and Derby's goal scorer, finally, Tom Lawrence"

Players are under enough pressure without the announcer letting them know that it's about time they scored a goal.

If I was a few quid behind Lawrence's wages he could say what he liked about me.

Thought the three behind Nugent worked perfectly last night. Lawrence and Vydra seem to thrive when they're not restricted to one of the three spots, playing weimann gave them both the kind of link up play that Nugent gives. A goal and an assist for Lawrence will only give his confidence a boost too 

1 hour ago, RamLad1884 said:

Thought the three behind Nugent worked perfectly last night. Lawrence and Vydra seem to thrive when they're not restricted to one of the three spots, playing weimann gave them both the kind of link up play that Nugent gives. A goal and an assist for Lawrence will only give his confidence a boost too 

Lawrence didn't get the assist, Weimann did.

• 3 months later...

Bumping this, though didn’t know whether to put it in the confess your unpopular opinions thread, because I reckon this kid is starting to come good.

Actually, I’ll stick my neck out and say this time next year, we will be saying he’s improved as much as Vydra has this season. He will contribute more to the team than Ince ever did, who I liked but feel young Tom has bundles of potential and time on his side.

If he gets his confidence fully back, keeps taking players on like he did today, this lad could be the one that propels us on in the run in.

Time to get behind Tom, he’s still learning his trade but he’s coming good I tell you and he’s going be a big player for us in time.

Never doubted, always been behind him. People expect too much sometimes. Ince was lazy and Russell had no end product. What I'd give to have them both as options now. Martins fat and slow but I want him here and wouldn't have got rid even before winnall injury.

anyway back to Lawrence. Good player who's had a solid season so far but can improve on his goal tally. 

Been massively critical of him but he was better today. Made some better decisions with regards to his teammates. His quality isn’t in question, it’s his intelligence to make the right choice at the right time. Jury’s out for me, he hasn’t performed well enough this season and I’m not convinced yet that he ever will. Hopefully he’ll do a Vydra, but Imo vydras quality was more evident last season.

I think Lawrence looks like a quality player up until he has to decide on what to do with the ball, then it goes to pot a bit. But I've always thought he'd do a Vydra and really step up next season, because the quality is obviously there with him.

He was much, much better today though and that's after his improved performance against Leeds. Decent wide players are crucial to doing well in this division, just look at the influence Ayite has had at Fulham and Snodgrass/Adomah at Villa. If he keeps this level of performance hopefully he can be our catalyst to turn things around and start winning again.

10 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Still like lawrence,I think he's a very talented lad that doesn't sit easy with Gary's style of play.

That’s a bit of a throw away comment isn’t it? ? don’t forget he was signed by GR he would have had numerous talks with the player explaining to him what his job will be and what he expects from Tom. Our style of play will not have come as a surprise, he will have signed because he believes in the project.

6 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

That’s a bit of a throw away comment isn’t it? ? don’t forget he was signed by GR he would have had numerous talks with the player explaining to him what his job will be and what he expects from Tom. Our style of play will not have come as a surprise, he will have signed because he believes in the project.

I'd say that's also a supposition to be honest...how do you know that?

10 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Been massively critical of him but he was better today. Made some better decisions with regards to his teammates. His quality isn’t in question, it’s his intelligence to make the right choice at the right time. Jury’s out for me, he hasn’t performed well enough this season and I’m not convinced yet that he ever will. Hopefully he’ll do a Vydra, but Imo vydras quality was more evident last season.

I'm warming to him. He isn't helped by having Olssen behind him.  Two powder puff tacklers on the same wing is a recipe for disaster. He is clever on the ball and in a side if steady eddies that is essential. 

Archived