Martin Interview

Ninos

10 minutes ago, jono said:

@i-RamI'm not sure it's a question of where he is in the pecking order. I have a feeling Gary wants to develop sets of players for different tactical needs. Are we seeing formats ? Martin/Winall or Nuge / Vydra I.e. Options rather than positions in a ranking sense. The whole moving Johnson about or bringing on Weiman or shoring up with George  ... I think it speaks volumes about his tactical thinking and I like it 

You may be right Jono, and it is pleasing as a fan that we have 4 good players, and multiple options. Rowett appears to be rotating that quite well at the moment as they all must be desperate to start.  It will be interesting to see who makes the team come Saturday.  

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

He does speak well doesn’t he. But his talking has to be on the pitch, and as much as l keep reading that he brings some quality and cohesion to our attacking, it is not only goals he is not offering at the moment, but also l suspect his recent assist record is not great either.  I genuinely feel a bit sorry for him, as there is no quick fix here, what with Vydra, Nugent and Winnall all making meaningful contributions. For a while l think he has to accept that he is fourth choice striker, and l hope when he gets his next outing worst case one goes in off his arse. 

Assists are a largely coincidental stat, look at that Leicester goal at the weekend for example. Demarai Gray goes on a wonderful solo run the entire length of the pitch to pass it to Mahrez who passes it into Vardy for a tap in. Mahrez gets the assist but it was another player that did all the work.

Not sure if you saw but Martin made 4 key passes in the second half against Norwich. For comparison Nugent averages 0.7 key passes per game according to whoscored.com. He played a key part in us finding a winner and creating a bunch of chances away against a team that were unbeaten in 8.

Haven't got much else to pick about your post, sadly it's mainly all on the mark but I'd just say to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Winnall, Nugent and Vydra are all playing well now and the team is but they're much of a muchness. You need some variance in your attack, Martin offers something different to our other strikers. There will be (and already has been) plenty of games this season that needed a different approach to the Nugent and Vydra combo.

I find it unbelievable, the level of criticism and lack of belief / support from 'certain quarters' for such a skilful and intelligent footballer; by far the best, most complete, centre forward that this club has had on the books since (at least) the George Burley era .. and before anyone comes up (predictably) with "But he hasn't scored since ****" or "He's not at the same level as he was before" ..

Yes he is, POTENTIALLY, but that potential can only be 'unlocked' by two 'keys' .. 

a) .. Regular Match STARTS ! 

b) .. Quality SUPPORT from the midfield area ! 

Given those two prerequisites I believe that he can be just as good and effective again as he was under McLaren, and PERHAPS Rowett is beginning to 'see the light' at last due to the increased playing time he has enjoyed due to the unavailability of either Vydra or Nugent over the past couple of matches ..

1 minute ago, Ram8 said:

I find it unbelievable, the level of criticism and lack of belief / support from 'certain quarters' for such a skilful and intelligent footballer; by far the best, most complete, centre forward that this club has had on the books since (at least) the George Burley era .. and before anyone comes up (predictably) with "But he hasn't scored since ****" or "He's not at the same level as he was before" ..

Yes he is, POTENTIALLY, but that potential can only be 'unlocked' by two 'keys' .. 

Given those two prerequisites I believe that he can be just as good and effective again as he was under McLaren, and PERHAPS Rowett is beginning to 'see the light' at last due to the increased playing time he has enjoyed due to the unavailability of either Vydra or Nugent over the past couple of matches ..

Here we go again .... And in the right corner ........

well I am not playing this one. We have 4 quality strikers at our disposal. All ready, able and waiting to be picked by the manager 

it is mindless partisanship to declare one better than another ... It depends on the game, the set up, the opposition and a raft of other facets. Sure, have your favourites but blinkered Martinism or die hard Nugeness  is counter productive.

5 hours ago, Stripperg-ram said:

Rare for a footballer to be so intelligent and articulate. He’s difficult to dislike and it would do everyone the world of good if he bagged a couple against Reading on Saturday. Having all your striking options confident and scoring is massive.

Happy Birthday Mr Wardrobe 

Too right, add to that maturity. Really hope now he gets some service and scores when he plays, as much as I want, Nugent, Vydra and Winnall to equally do well.

Personally not really fussed myself about Fulham, contact takes or anything off field. Four strikers banging in goals, Gary picking strikers to get the best out of what opposition we are playing will show we are blessed with options at present.

Hopefully Martin hits the back of the net soon.

Disagree Jono .. 'options' and 'rotation' are positives to SOME extent, but they have to be balanced against 'consistency of personnel' and 'familiarity with a system of play' .. and essential to that ethos is surely the regular selection of AT LEAST ONE of your 4 centre forward options, that being the one with the widest, most versatile 'skill-set', who CONSISTENTLY brings other players into the game, IF he is given the ball in the first place ..

53 minutes ago, jono said:

I think Nuge / Vydra has been his prefered choice because they have delivered but I don't think it's a question of a second string and we will see more of Martin depending on the style of any one game. They all bring something, just depends what type of party it is. 

I don't know enough about Readings team but am sure Gary will chose the front line on the basis of what we are likely to be facing in the reading line up.  

I agree ... he will assess the opposition then be like oh Chris Martin would exploit this and Martin will start ... etc etc. there’s clearly a lot of consideration of who and where we are playing ... I loved his in game assessment that we could beat leeds at 1-1 and so he added Weimann and withdrew Ledley ... he’s cunning 

1 hour ago, Ram8 said:

You can do it Chris, i believe in you

11 hours ago, i-Ram said:

He does speak well doesn’t he. But his talking has to be on the pitch, and as much as l keep reading that he brings some quality and cohesion to our attacking, it is not only goals he is not offering at the moment, but also l suspect his recent assist record is not great either.  I genuinely feel a bit sorry for him, as there is no quick fix here, what with Vydra, Nugent and Winnall all making meaningful contributions. For a while l think he has to accept that he is fourth choice striker, and l hope when he gets his next outing worst case one goes in off his arse. 

Take it you are discounting what Rowett said about his contribution at Leeds. Martin not making a meaningful contribution? Would the likes of you or Ninos even be prepared to accept he was making a contribution, given you have  your long-stated positions to defend?

11 hours ago, Ram8 said:

I have a slightly different view that if the only way to unleash the potential is to get the team to play in a certain way then isn't he a liability?  Wasn't this the key problem we've had for a few years that we had no plan B because to get our key player performing at his wonderful best we only had plan A.  I don't think going back to that method is a good idea.  Currently (and that is an important word) we are difficult to beat so why change it?  To do so you will need to be bloody certain that the outcome is guaranteed.  He is one of the best scorers I've seen in the Championship but if he can only play with regular starts irrespective of whether he is playing well I am unable to get the point.  Hope he starts on Saturday and shows some of that Chrissy magic

11 hours ago, Ram8 said:

Disagree Jono .. 'options' and 'rotation' are positives to SOME extent, but they have to be balanced against 'consistency of personnel' and 'familiarity with a system of play' .. and essential to that ethos is surely the regular selection of AT LEAST ONE of your 4 centre forward options, that being the one with the widest, most versatile 'skill-set', who CONSISTENTLY brings other players into the game, IF he is given the ball in the first place ..

That doesn't make CM my first choice. (Dang it ! I wasn't going to play this game :blink: ) 

the best all round striker is Nuge ... Wait ......  He might not be the best striker in every set of circumstances but he is the one that can fit and adapt to the largest variety of circumstances and be effective. It's a bit of a truism to say you bring people in to play IF you have the ball. ... Anyway we only disagree at the fringes .. Martin is excellent and I am looking forward to see how he comes on now we have a new system for him ... I.e. A strike partner, rather than 2 advanced running midfielders. Aka Mac1 ... For the whole team and resilience I prefer where we are going now rather than trying to recreate an enjoyable but brief moment in the sun that depended too much on a single set up. 

16 hours ago, Stripperg-ram said:

Rare for a footballer to be so intelligent and articulate. He’s difficult to dislike and it would do everyone the world of good if he bagged a couple against Reading on Saturday. Having all your striking options confident and scoring is massive.

Happy Birthday Mr Wardrobe 

Fans of most other teams would argue he is difficult to like. What with his falling on the floor routine the minute he is touched. Not to mention his antics at Fulham with refusing to play etc. Was about as popular there at times, as Butterfield is to us now.

5 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Fans of most other teams would argue he is difficult to like. What with his falling on the floor routine the minute he is touched. Not to mention his antics at Fulham with refusing to play etc...

What a horror Martin is! :lol:

7 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Fans of most other teams would argue he is difficult to like. What with his falling on the floor routine the minute he is touched. Not to mention his antics at Fulham with refusing to play etc. Was about as popular there at times, as Butterfield is to us now.

Ffs - it was us telling him not to play to try and force a move back.

2 hours ago, DRBee said:

Take it you are discounting what Rowett said about his contribution at Leeds. Martin not making a meaningful contribution? Would the likes of you or Ninos even be prepared to accept he was making a contribution, given you have  your long-stated positions to defend?

For someone who has me on an ignore list you do seem to like engaging with me :wub:

Not sure, or in fact interested, what your beef is here. If you made more meaningful contributions on here rather than sniping l might be inclined to a different view.

However, for the benefit of others my position has always been clear. I think Chris Martin is a good player, and probably with stronger technical skills than most in our squad, but l personally don’t like his onfield demeanour or antics at times, and our team (in fact any team he plays in) needs to be set-up to suit his needs for him to be truly effective. Rowett clearly does not want to play a system that ideally suits Martin, so Martin needs to adapt. I am sure he will put 100% effort into doing so, as l have never doubted his desire to play his best for the club.

My opinion, for what worth, is that currently Martin has much more to do to earn his place in the team than the other 3 forward players. The other 3 are making meaningful contributions with goals, and assists, and are more suited to Rowett’s preference for quick, direct, forward play.  I hope when he gets further chances Martin can stick one in the net, even if it is off his arse. He needs a break, and l hope he gets one soon.

19 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

our team (in fact any team he plays in) needs to be set-up to suit his needs for him to be truly effective

Isn't that true for almost every striker? You put Messi into a Pulis team and he will look crap.

3 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Errr, Jokanovic actually said he didn’t refuse to play and Martin also said he didn’t. A local newspaper ‘journo’down there tweeted and everyone took it as gospel. 

Archived