Martin Interview

Ninos

8 minutes ago, rynny said:

Isn't that true for almost every striker? You put Messi into a Pulis team and he will look crap.

I am not sure l fully agree, certainly with top class performers, and l am pretty sure Messi would still look pretty good alongside Hal Robson Kanu :lol:

I think in some ways though you are reinforcing my point. It seems to me that neither in the the no. 9 or no. 10 role is Martin ideally suited to Rowett’s preferred approach. That is not to say he will not get game time, nor that he can’t be effective and do a good job up to a point.  Martin suits ideally a 433 set up and l can’t see us playing the McClaren way again for some while, although l have felt that more than once before and been proven wrong.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I am not sure l fully agree, certainly with top class performers, and l am pretty sure Messi would still look pretty good alongside Hal Robson Kanu :lol:

I think in some ways though you are reinforcing my point. It seems to me that neither in the the no. 9 or no. 10 role is Martin ideally suited to Rowett’s preferred approach. That is not to say he will not get game time, nor that he can’t be effective and do a good job up to a point.  Martin suits ideally a 433 set up and l can’t see us playing the McClaren way again for some while, although l have felt that more than once before and been proven wrong.

I think I would look good next to Hal Robson Kanu :lol:

I think there are times when Martin will be needed for his hold up play, one of Gary's biggest mistakes on this run was bringing Vydra on instead of Martin at Brentford. I think he has his uses and certainly glad he is in our squad, starting or not, than at some other team.

16 hours ago, Ram8 said:

I find it unbelievable, the level of criticism and lack of belief / support from 'certain quarters' for such a skilful and intelligent footballer; by far the best, most complete, centre forward that this club has had on the books since (at least) the George Burley era .. and before anyone comes up (predictably) with "But he hasn't scored since ****" or "He's not at the same level as he was before" ..

Yes he is, POTENTIALLY, but that potential can only be 'unlocked' by two 'keys' .. 

a) .. Regular Match STARTS ! 

b) .. Quality SUPPORT from the midfield area ! 

Given those two prerequisites I believe that he can be just as good and effective again as he was under McLaren, and PERHAPS Rowett is beginning to 'see the light' at last due to the increased playing time he has enjoyed due to the unavailability of either Vydra or Nugent over the past couple of matches ..

Top class analysis and post. There's only one word to describe it @Ram8 "Magic darts". 

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

Errr, Jokanovic actually said he didn’t refuse to play and Martin also said he didn’t. A local newspaper ‘journo’down there tweeted and everyone took it as gospel. 

Too many posters get suckered into believing much of the tripe dished out via Twitter.

Some martin fanatics really need to get a grip ,,,,, they would have us back to the policy that martin is the best striker at the club and must play ,a return to the dark days when we had a few too many players viewed and treated like that at the club and as a result ( partly ) we have gone through managers like they are going out of fashion ,,, rowett has managed to turn that round ,,,, martin is a decent striker who is in healthy competition for game time with at least 3 other decent strikers at the club and that is how it should be ,,,

all this bunkem that we need to give martin game time ( no matter how he's playing or scoring) , we need to set the team up to play to his strengths, we need to blah blah blah ,,, 

martin needs to force his way into the team and do enough to stay there when he does ,, he needs to be able to be able to adapt and produce in the same way the other 3 have in an emerging team being produced by rowett ,,, personally I think he will play a part in this team this season but building a team for him or giving him game time no matter what ,or special treatment is just plain daft and very destructive to what rowett is trying to build

1 hour ago, archied said:

Some martin fanatics really need to get a grip ,,,,, they would have us back to the policy that martin is the best striker at the club and must play ,a return to the dark days when we had a few too many players viewed and treated like that at the club and as a result ( partly ) we have gone through managers like they are going out of fashion ,,, rowett has managed to turn that round ,,,, martin is a decent striker who is in healthy competition for game time with at least 3 other decent strikers at the club and that is how it should be ,,,

all this bunkem that we need to give martin game time ( no matter how he's playing or scoring) , we need to set the team up to play to his strengths, we need to blah blah blah ,,, 

martin needs to force his way into the team and do enough to stay there when he does ,, he needs to be able to be able to adapt and produce in the same way the other 3 have in an emerging team being produced by rowett ,,, personally I think he will play a part in this team this season but building a team for him or giving him game time no matter what ,or special treatment is just plain daft and very destructive to what rowett is trying to build

Noticed Johnny Russell picked Chris out as the most intelligent guy in the squad-certainly translates into his football.He's one of the most unselfish players we've got in terms of playing others in when he might have had a pot himself.Feel very sorry for the guy,because he takes up great positions and I've not seen the level of reciprocation he deserves from those he's unselfishly assisted.

1 hour ago, archied said:

Its you who needs to get a grip ...

• defending Martin against his critics is not an indication one is a Martin fanatic (whatever that means) .
  • Who exactly is saying he is the best striker at the club?????
  • If he has had only limited game time it is hard for people to argue his playing has deteriorated.
  • If Rowett is praising his performance  in postive ways ( as  Rowett did after his Elland Road performance) should his critics  not take notice ? Cos some of them aren't.
  • Many on here have posted how our performance improved after his was brought on as a sub in some recent games - so there is some evidence that he has something to contribute. It's not as though he has actually played badly  , so why criticise him so much?

39 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Its you who needs to get a grip ...

• defending Martin against his critics is not an indication one is a Martin fanatic (whatever that means) .
  • Who exactly is saying he is the best striker at the club?????
  • If he has had only limited game time it is hard for people to argue his playing has deteriorated.
  • If Rowett is praising his performance  in postive ways ( as  Rowett did after his Elland Road performance) should his critics  not take notice ? Cos some of them aren't.
  • Many on here have posted how our performance improved after his was brought on as a sub in some recent games - so there is some evidence that he has something to contribute. It's not as though he has actually played badly  , so why criticise him so much?

So we don't have posters saying we need to give him more game time as the answer to get him scoring again despite the fact that we have 3 other strikers in form ,contributing and scoring ?

we don't have posters wanting to set the team up to suit martin despite the fact that we are winning games and improving as we are in the way the manager wants us to play? 

We don't have posters feeling rowett isn't up to the job because he doesn't see Marin as an automatic starter ?

sorry but the truth is that we have some who are so biased towards martin that they will put him in the team and keep him there no matter what ,, granted there are those that are so biased against martin that their view on the subject is every bit as unbalanced .

where martin is at this point in terms of starts and game time is about right and fair in terms of his and the other strikers form and goals return

ive got a grip on the fact that I'm a Derby fan first rather than any single player

2 minutes ago, archied said:

So we don't have posters saying we need to give him more game time as the answer to get him scoring again despite the fact that we have 3 other strikers in form ,contributing and scoring ?

we don't have posters wanting to set the team up to suit martin despite the fact that we are winning games and improving as we are in the way the manager wants us to play? 

We don't have posters feeling rowett isn't up to the job because he doesn't see Marin as an automatic starter ?

sorry but the truth is that we some who are so biased towards martin that they will put him in the team and keep him there no matter what ,, granted there are those that are so biased against martin that their view on the subject is every bit as unbalanced .

where martin is at this point in terms of starts and game time is about right and fair in terms of his and the other strikers form and goals return

ive got a grip on the fact that I'm a Derby fan first rather than any single player

Good posts.

12 minutes ago, archied said:

sorry but the truth is that we have some who are so biased towards martin that they will put him in the team and keep him there no matter what ,, granted there are those that are so biased against martin that their view on the subject is every bit as unbalanced .

He gives his all for Derby, why are so many 'fans' so against him?

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Speaking just for myself, I'm not against him I just don't understand why so many want to change a winning style just to accommodate him, don't get it at all.

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I actually think there aren't many who are against him at all, in fact I'd wager a pint that most think he is a fine striker and a very clever footballer. But the same people (me included) don't think he is the messiah. He's in the squad and deserves to be. First choice God incarnate ? I think not. 

I Still want to see him paired with Nuge though :ph34r: a clever subtle player and the ultimate oportunist nuisance on the pitch at the same time yes please. 

Just now, Leicester Ram said:

Bizarre how a player who's consistently been one of the best strikers in the championship for 4 years has somehow become devisive.

Agreed polarises opinion for some reason, I would be delighted when it all works out for him as it will only help us.  He's not the only solution though.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I may be wrong but appears to me that on this forum there are far more posters overly biased towards him than those unfairly biased against him 

to be honest it drives me nuts , I think he's a decent player who will play a part for us but at this point others are in form and to have any chance of building the kind of ethic rowett wants at the club you have to reward the players that are scoring and winning games but what some fail to understand is that it's a long season and our strikers will go in and out of form and in another few games vids ,nugent and winnal may lose form get dropped and martin be on fire ,then that might turn again ,, screaming for martin to be started when you have vydra scoring , nugent scoring and winnall grabbing it by the scruff is just daft and rooted more in bias than reason

23 minutes ago, archied said:

... screaming for martin to be started when you have vydra scoring , nugent scoring and winnall grabbing it by the scruff is just daft and rooted more in bias than reason

Where does this happen? Some suggest starting him with Nuge others with Vydra others not. Where *is* all this screaming? Seems to come from the anti-Martin fans to me.

58 minutes ago, archied said:

I may be wrong but appears to me that on this forum there are far more posters overly biased towards him than those unfairly biased against him 

to be honest it drives me nuts , I think he's a decent player who will play a part for us but at this point others are in form and to have any chance of building the kind of ethic rowett wants at the club you have to reward the players that are scoring and winning games but what some fail to understand is that it's a long season and our strikers will go in and out of form and in another few games vids ,nugent and winnal may lose form get dropped and martin be on fire ,then that might turn again ,, screaming for martin to be started when you have vydra scoring , nugent scoring and winnall grabbing it by the scruff is just daft and rooted more in bias than reason

No,it's based entirely on reason unlike your own bias....our best and most prolific striker in years and who will always be closely affiliated with the best football that this club has also played in years.

A lot of us aren't convinced by the football being played by the team(yet) and we naturally look to players that have played in a team with more flair and fluency than is the case now and Martin is the epitome of that.

The problem is that the ardent followers of the kick and run style of GR and haters of Mac will always take their anger out on Martin as he's the very example of the football they never liked or wanted...

Archived