Martin Interview

Ninos

Just want to commend @OwenB87 for an excellent interview with Chris Martin. These player interviews are always far more interesting when the questions are specific to them and boring when you start getting into generalities - support, the flags, the facilities etc. with Martin there’s obviously some stuff we want to know: why no goals, what happened at Fulham, how does he see his role now etc. any insights into the new manager and his style and impact on specific players will always interest. I know Owen is now paid DCFC staff but thought this was an excellent interview.

Of course we’d like to know more - the dynamics at Fulham with the Khans, Mcclaren and Rush involvement in working to getting him back and his new contract and more insights re: Pearson but I recognize that level of detail gets a wee bit twitchy. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Just want to commend @OwenB87 for an excellent interview with Chris Martin. These player interviews are always far more interesting when the questions are specific to them and boring when you start getting into generalities - support, the flags, the facilities etc. with Martin there’s obviously some stuff we want to know: why no goals, what happened at Fulham, how does he see his role now etc. any insights into the new manager and his style and impact on specific players will always interest. I know Owen is now paid DCFC staff but thought this was an excellent interview.

Of course we’d like to know more - the dynamics at Fulham with the Khans, Mcclaren and Rush involvement in working to getting him back and his new contract and more insights re: Pearson but I recognize that level of detail gets a wee bit twitchy. 

No - you (and your Martin-hating sidekick) might want to know more but I'd bet the vast majority of Rams fans no longer care a toss about Fulham, the Khans or any involvement by any staff who at the time were on the Derby payroll. They're just glad he's still a vital member of the current squad.

Good interview Chrissie....well aware of his responsibility in the team and the demands placed on him by GR which hasn't placed him in his normal pivotal role as the head of the strike force.

Whilst I'm sad to to see that this hasnt helped him score for us yet,it can't be far away and his contribution in vital passing moves in and around the box and his hold up play have been massive.

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

No - you (and your Martin-hating sidekick) might want to know more but I'd bet the vast majority of Rams fans no longer care a toss about Fulham, the Khans or any involvement by any staff who at the time were on the Derby payroll. They're just glad he's still a vital member of the current squad.

Yeah okay. Glad you’re not interviewing since you’d never ask an interesting question.

Reality is it was an extremely interesting situation. What was Rush involvement? Was it this episode and/or others that led to his departure? Was Martin really hurt or did he flat go on strike or was there something else going on?  Mcclaren loved martin and had no time for Vydra, only playing him wide and off the bench. Even intimate that Martin’s absence was the reason we struggled, if I recall. The approach to offer a contract while he was on loan was quite controversial at the time. The interview alluded to answers. Time will tell what really went on but the story is as much about Mcclaren and maybe Rush as it is about Martin. Probably a book could be written, as is evidenced by Martin’s remark to Owen during the interview.

not sure he’s vital to the squad - and we will know the answer to that in the Jan window - when we can expect to see multiple departures.

2 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Yeah okay. Glad you’re not interviewing since you’d never ask an interesting question.

Reality is it was an extremely interesting situation. What was Rush involvement? Was it this episode and/or others that led to his departure? Was Martin really hurt or did he flat go on strike or was there something else going on?  Mcclaren loved martin and had no time for Vydra, only playing him wide and off the bench. Even intimate that Martin’s absence was the reason we struggled, if I recall. The approach to offer a contract while he was on loan was quite controversial at the time. The interview alluded to answers. Time will tell what really went on but the story is as much about Mcclaren and maybe Rush as it is about Martin. Probably a book could be written, as is evidenced by Martin’s remark to Owen during the interview.

not sure he’s vital to the squad - and we will know the answer to that in the Jan window - when we can expect to see multiple departures.

What I want to know is: Did he agree to signing for Fulham knowing full well that they planned to then sell him to Wolves? Can't believe OB missed out that question. :thumbsup:

He does speak well doesn’t he. But his talking has to be on the pitch, and as much as l keep reading that he brings some quality and cohesion to our attacking, it is not only goals he is not offering at the moment, but also l suspect his recent assist record is not great either.  I genuinely feel a bit sorry for him, as there is no quick fix here, what with Vydra, Nugent and Winnall all making meaningful contributions. For a while l think he has to accept that he is fourth choice striker, and l hope when he gets his next outing worst case one goes in off his arse. 

24 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

He does speak well doesn’t he. But his talking has to be on the pitch, and as much as l keep reading that he brings some quality and cohesion to our attacking, it is not only goals he is not offering at the moment, but also l suspect his recent assist record is not great either.  I genuinely feel a bit sorry for him, as there is no quick fix here, what with Vydra, Nugent and Winnall all making meaningful contributions. For a while l think he has to accept that he is fourth choice striker, and l hope when he gets his next outing worst case one goes in off his arse. 

All true.At least it sounds as though his attitude is right and so far on the field it’s the best I’ve ever seen attitude-wise. 

@i-RamI'm not sure it's a question of where he is in the pecking order. I have a feeling Gary wants to develop sets of players for different tactical needs. Are we seeing formats ? Martin/Winall or Nuge / Vydra I.e. Options rather than positions in a ranking sense. The whole moving Johnson about or bringing on Weiman or shoring up with George  ... I think it speaks volumes about his tactical thinking and I like it 

2 minutes ago, jono said:

@i-RamI'm not sure it's a question of where he is in the pecking order. I have a feeling Gary wants to develop sets of players for different tactical needs. Are we seeing formats ? Martin/Winall or Nuge / Vydra I.e. Options rather than positions in a ranking sense. The whole moving Johnson about or bringing on Weiman or shoring up with George  ... I think it speaks volumes about his tactical thinking and I like it 

Yup he’s tactical alright unlike that plum Duff we had before. I actually think Vydra is first choice in the 10 role and Winnall ahead of Nuge in the 9 role. That has to be the best pairing Jono. You’re right though I think GR sees the diff qualities but you gotta think that if Vyds and Nuge are fit they’ll start v Reading. I’m more interested in getting Thorne back in there and Thomas involved. Not as patient as GR is ...

I think Nuge / Vydra has been his prefered choice because they have delivered but I don't think it's a question of a second string and we will see more of Martin depending on the style of any one game. They all bring something, just depends what type of party it is. 

I don't know enough about Readings team but am sure Gary will chose the front line on the basis of what we are likely to be facing in the reading line up.  

Archived