Lifetime ban for supporter following abusive social media posts

Day

1 hour ago, Redcar said:

If I was him - I'd get a bike and sign up to a charity ride and donate the lot to the LJS Foundation. It won't get him his ban lifted but would show a level of remorse. Not condoning his actions, but chances proper sauced up at the time and really didn't consider the fallout.

Great idea. And the thing is - if he did something like this the club and Billy would recognise he deserves a second chance. As others have said on here, if he was really remorseful and showed it, then the club could welcome him back.  One repentant sinner etc. But if he remains a k******** then he stays banned - the ball's in his court. 

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
4 hours ago, rynny said:

Run on to the pitch and physically attack an opposing player you get a 3 year ban, write horrible, despicable stuff on twitter about an opposing player and you get a life time ban ?

I would ban the so called fan who ran on the pitch and did that for life.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

I would ban the so called fan who ran on the pitch and did that for life.

Some will say that one was too harsh, others will say that the other was not strong enough, and some will say it is somewhere in between. Think I am in the latter group.

Sith Happens
2 hours ago, rynny said:

Some will say that one was too harsh, others will say that the other was not strong enough, and some will say it is somewhere in between. Think I am in the latter group.

Well I would hope there was some criminal conviction for attacking someone, don't know if there was.

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

Well I would hope there was some criminal conviction for attacking someone, don't know if there was.

It will be down to whether the player wanted to press charges or not at a guess. But yes they should have.

Like I said, think 3 years was not enough for that, but also think a life time ban was too much for the twitter twit.

Sith Happens
2 hours ago, rynny said:

It will be down to whether the player wanted to press charges or not at a guess. But yes they should have.

Like I said, think 3 years was not enough for that, but also think a life time ban was too much for the twitter twit.

You may be right. He is a young lad, but don't buy into the he 'apologised' rubbish, yeah he did when caught.

I am sure the club will be prepared to review it at a later date, life doesn't even mean life if you murder someone. 

A lifetime ban is extreme virtue signalling but wouldn't expect much less these days. Its entirely possible that you could be sat next to someone at a game that was involved in a double homicide 30 years ago and breezes straight into PP. Who would you rather sit next to? Or shall we prevent anyone with any caution, conviction, misdemeanour or trolling incident ever stepping foot inside the ground? Jeez, I am glad some of you guys don't sit on juries. The kid has been fronted to the whole country, he will learn a very harsh lesson from that alone.

Hmmm, I was possibly one of the first to see his tweet and react to it, and then his subsequent answer to a response he got. 

What's obvious from reading this thread is that none of you saw what was written in his tweets. Some might say it doesn't matter, and it doesn't, as the intent was there to offend or hurt, so he gets what he gets and deserves it, but, I find it ironically comical! 

So the guy is a moron, no argument, but he's that much of a moron, that his tweet didn't even manage to be insulting enough and the reaction has been the catalyst for his punishment. 

When Sharp scored, a tweet went up saying Sheff Utd take the lead thanks to a Billy Sharp goal, this muppet then replied, quite simply 'dead son', nothing more, nothing less, those two words. He didn't even do a good job of mocking, insulting or being hurtful. It was, to me, obvious he was a bit special and trying to have a pop, but anyone not knowing the Billy Sharp story would never guess what it was about! So much so, that somebody tweeted "having a bad day..." directly to the moron, who then responded "he has a son who's died", which again, itself is a rubbish attempt at being hurtful, and some would say he's stating fact. That was it. The reaction and threats caused him to lock his account, then few hours later, delete it. 

The reason I'm amused is cos he didn't even manage to be properly offensive imo! He's been made a massive example of, for what? I'd love to stand in front of him and point and "ha ha", Nelson Muntz style! 

On flip side here, there are some outraged hypocrites in here who I've personally witnessed singing "always look out for Turks carrying knives" to Leeds fans, so pipe down! 

1 hour ago, Moist One said:

Hmmm, I was possibly one of the first to see his tweet and react to it, and then his subsequent answer to a response he got. 

What's obvious from reading this thread is that none of you saw what was written in his tweets. Some might say it doesn't matter, and it doesn't, as the intent was there to offend or hurt, so he gets what he gets and deserves it, but, I find it ironically comical! 

So the guy is a moron, no argument, but he's that much of a moron, that his tweet didn't even manage to be insulting enough and the reaction has been the catalyst for his punishment. 

When Sharp scored, a tweet went up saying Sheff Utd take the lead thanks to a Billy Sharp goal, this muppet then replied, quite simply 'dead son', nothing more, nothing less, those two words. He didn't even do a good job of mocking, insulting or being hurtful. It was, to me, obvious he was a bit special and trying to have a pop, but anyone not knowing the Billy Sharp story would never guess what it was about! So much so, that somebody tweeted "having a bad day..." directly to the moron, who then responded "he has a son who's died", which again, itself is a rubbish attempt at being hurtful, and some would say he's stating fact. That was it. The reaction and threats caused him to lock his account, then few hours later, delete it. 

The reason I'm amused is cos he didn't even manage to be properly offensive imo! He's been made a massive example of, for what? I'd love to stand in front of him and point and "ha ha", Nelson Muntz style! 

On flip side here, there are some outraged hypocrites in here who I've personally witnessed singing "always look out for Turks carrying knives" to Leeds fans, so pipe down! 

Any prizes for correct guesses?

Are the club now going to be searching every single fans twitter pages then to check if they write anything offensive....or does it only count if you make the comments to a footballer.....?

once again I would like to say it was a real dickish thing to do by the pleb. (Hope Derby aren't reading this they might be offended and ban me for life..)

PistoldPete2

This was actually the lead story on the BBC England web site today. I mean really???? The guy is a complete tool and may well deserve to be banned but is this really the biggest thing to happen in England today?   

58 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Are the club now going to be searching every single fans twitter pages then to check if they write anything offensive....or does it only count if you make the comments to a footballer.....?

No need, they can find a few on this forum

12 hours ago, Alan Ramage 4 EVA said:

Although it`s a terrible thing to do to anyone who has lost a baby ,maybe a lifetime ban is TOO severe .

Didn`t the lad who attacked Kevin Wilson (florest player)on the Pride Park pitch only get a 3 year ban ?

Yes but the ladwho attacked Wilson did it at the match so yes it could be rightly said he did it in the heat of the moment however for example if he had waited until after the game then it no longer becomes a spur of the moment thing.So unless somebody can say he tweeted on his phone during the game then its premeditated

6 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

Yes but the ladwho attacked Wilson did it at the match so yes it could be rightly said he did it in the heat of the moment however for example if he had waited until after the game then it no longer becomes a spur of the moment thing.So unless somebody can say he tweeted on his phone during the game then its premeditated

What?  A premeditated tweet?  Has Trump been told?

NONONONO-HAHAHAHA.jpg

Good to visit the forum again and i do so to say how proud i am of DCFC for banning this freak for LIFE. Not 3 years or 5 but life. Not many clubs would have done that as it's income lost. You could argue DCFC don't really need one mans ticket money etc but a life ban is the harshest punishment the club could administer and they have done so. Taunting another human being about a dead baby. It's about time people were punished for their thick as pigshit behaviours. A life ban from footy is the very least i can think of!! 

Has anyone read his other tweets? Were they generally offensive, or was this a one off?

The BBC app said that he wrote two words, or did he do more than that?

I'm going to stick my neck out. It would not be impossible for me to say something really bad and I'd be heartbroken to be banned from The Rams for a lifetime. Even murderers don't get life time bans, and violent offenders can get restraining orders for a year, but even they can go back to a place after that, so I do think a life time ban seems quite Draconian. 

And just in case I ever say something bad, or if you do, perhaps we should now be asking the club for a more proportionate sanction, even if this individual has been judged to have been so highly offensive.

Along with the small minority on this thread I feel the sanction is somewhat over the top.

I do not know the answer to these questions but how many DCFC fans have had a life ban for violence towards other fans? Is this sanction applied in every such violent incident?

I happen to have a disability and I recall an evening last season as I walked way from Pride Park after a match. Another Derby fan, accompanied by a teenager, probably his son, made a very offensive remark connected to my disability. My reaction was to reply in terms I cannot relate on here. i wonder what the youngster thought of the incident and the adult's comment. I do not dwell on such incidents, infrequent as they are, the words roll off me like water off a ducks back. Punches may not so easily be dismissed however.

Sith Happens
8 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Good to visit the forum again and i do so to say how proud i am of DCFC for banning this freak for LIFE. Not 3 years or 5 but life. Not many clubs would have done that as it's income lost. You could argue DCFC don't really need one mans ticket money etc but a life ban is the harshest punishment the club could administer and they have done so. Taunting another human being about a dead baby. It's about time people were punished for their thick as pigshit behaviours. A life ban from footy is the very least i can think of!! 

Hope you are OK....

Where are you going this season?

Sith Happens
6 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

Along with the small minority on this thread I feel the sanction is somewhat over the top.

I do not know the answer to these questions but how many DCFC fans have had a life ban for violence towards other fans? Is this sanction applied in every such violent incident?

I happen to have a disability and I recall an evening last season as I walked way from Pride Park after a match. Another Derby fan, accompanied by a teenager, probably his son, made a very offensive remark connected to my disability. My reaction was to reply in terms I cannot relate on here. i wonder what the youngster thought of the incident and the adult's comment. I do not dwell on such incidents, infrequent as they are, the words roll off me like water off a ducks back. Punches may not so easily be dismissed however.

In reflection I thing I agree. My initial reaction was one of 'good' too many seem to get away with deplorable behaviour online.

I think I liked what one poster said was the ban should be indefinite not a lifetime ban, so if he can demonstrate done true remorse review it, if he continues then leave it in place.

Sith Happens
14 hours ago, Moist One said:

With you about the last bit...a bit like my earlier post about some fans chanting about Nigel doughty. 

There will be posters on here i am quite sure who were involved in both of these and others, its very easy to be brave and chant stuff like this is a crowd of thousands, or as this idiot did post it online hidden behind a keyboard. I dare bet if any of those that chanted those things do post on here they won't be brave enough to admit it or give their reasons why it was OK.

Archived