Lifetime ban for supporter following abusive social media posts

Day

5 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Do people get banned for shouting, or even just speaking, abuse, at a game? 

Depending what it is yes.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember the following story about a life time ban ... 

http://www.kentnews.co.uk/sport/fan-gets-lifetime-ban-from-the-crabble-after-taunting-player-1-4029658

Dover Athletic have banned a fan from their Crabble home for life, after they abused a player during a recent match.

Dover chairman Jim Parmenter said: “Everyone at Dover is saddened and disgusted that such deplorable behaviour, for which there can be no mitigation, has occurred at our club. Our sincerest regret and apologies go to the player and his family.

5 hours ago, Ken Tram said:

I remember the following story about a life time ban ... 

http://www.kentnews.co.uk/sport/fan-gets-lifetime-ban-from-the-crabble-after-taunting-player-1-4029658

Dover Athletic have banned a fan from their Crabble home for life, after they abused a player during a recent match.

Dover chairman Jim Parmenter said: “Everyone at Dover is saddened and disgusted that such deplorable behaviour, for which there can be no mitigation, has occurred at our club. Our sincerest regret and apologies go to the player and his family.

What worries me is that I have become desensitised... as I remember my initial reaction to the story above being, "Wasn't he meant to be getting under the player's skin?"

Aren't football matches full of offensive remarks and chants? And aren't fans delighted if they get a reaction from an opposition player that affects their game? How many fans have sung songs about players' wives ... which is pretty bad? 

Should swearing be banned? 

How offensive can we be at football matches? Should we move in the direction of not making any offence at all, and what would the atmosphere be like? 

Will we manage to keep atmosphere at grounds as we become less and less offensive at matches?

After all, swearing is considered pretty offensive by some. Might singing louder than the opposition upset their feelings? What about jeering at a player, let alone telling them that you slept with their wife (no offence intended towards players that don't have wives).

I guess that as attitudes change, and as we become less offensive, we'll find new ways to generate atmosphere.

Maybe we can eventually get red seating so that Forest fans feel more comfortable when they come to Pride Park.

16 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

What worries me is that I have become desensitised... as I remember my initial reaction to the story above being, "Wasn't he meant to be getting under the player's skin?"

Aren't football matches full of offensive remarks and chants? And aren't fans delighted if they get a reaction from an opposition player that affects their game? How many fans have sung songs about players' wives ... which is pretty bad? 

Should swearing be banned? 

How offensive can we be at football matches? Should we move in the direction of not making any offence at all, and what would the atmosphere be like? 

Singing songs for example about Wayne Rooney and his trangressions with other 'ladies' is acceptable. Singing songs about a dead baby isn't acceptable. Like i said, common sense and decency. Those who have it will sing the former as a bit of laugh and it would be difficult to find someone (other than Rooney) extremely offended by it but refuse the sing the latter because it's sick and completely unacceptable. 

Swearing shouldn't be banned but EVERY club should ensure that there is an area / stand in the ground where families / kids / adults who don't like swearing can go and watch the game in peace without being exposed to constant effing and jeffing. I think that's fair to everyone and common sense. For example if you go into the South Stand at Derby then expect a boisterous, sweary atmosphere. If you don't like that then the North Stand is designated for you and your family. Anyone swearing whatsoever in the North Stand where families are and the rule is quite clearly there to be upheld IMO is a moron. They should be warned just the once and then ejected from the stadium if it happens a second time. 

Football is a passionate game and we want to keep it that way and we also want EVERYONE to be able to go to games and enjoy them. I don't particularly want to go to a game and sit next to aggressive blokes effing and blinding every two minutes so there should be a designated place for us to go where that doesn't happen. 

If you want to swear and get vocal then there should be a place for you too. Likewise anyone with kids who go in the South Stand and moan about bad language should be having a word with themselves too because clearly they are in the wrong stand. 

Just my opinion. 

A player can get drunk and kill someone with their car...and come back and earn a living from the game.

A fan could with full intention go out and kill, rape, maim, throw acid at someone...and in due course serve their sentence and return to watching the matches. 

This person sends a 2 word sick tweet and can never return to the ground. Just seems out of proportion to me.

Obviously the tweet was directly related to the game/team so is different from my examples.  But as other people have pointed out... fans have got involved in fighting, invaded the pitch, sang sick chants..and they face no punishment at all sometimes. 

No one is saying what he did was ok...or anyrhing other than pretty sick and despicable. But let's have some proportion...and I'd like to hear if he was repentant and genuinely sorry before I'd say that his whole life of following Derby was over. Lot of people on here seem never to have done or said anything they regret. I haven't trolled a player but I'm sure there's things I regret that in the cold light of day look pretty terrible.

The tweet was terrible..but the hysteria on social media portraying him as totally evil are almost equally unpleasant to me.

Haven't read through all 21 pages (so far) sorry. When I was growing up, all of the popside would sing the song to the Man Utd players  and their fans about their players dying on the runway and lying in the snow. Probably many on here did it. Should all those now be given a lifetime ban? Or does it not matter because it was a few year's ago? When's the cutoff date for when it was all right to be offensive? Whatever this guy tweeted was obviously offensive and sick and horrible but for most of my life football fans have been offensive and sometimes not everyone moves with social norms at the same pace. Perhaps better to give a public apology, payment to charity of the player's choice and maybe a season-long ban?

8 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Haven't read through all 21 pages (so far) sorry. When I was growing up, all of the popside would sing the song to the Man Utd players  and their fans about their players dying on the runway and lying in the snow. Probably many on here did it. Should all those now be given a lifetime ban? Or does it not matter because it was a few year's ago? When's the cutoff date for when it was all right to be offensive? Whatever this guy tweeted was obviously offensive and sick and horrible but for most of my life football fans have been offensive and sometimes not everyone moves with social norms at the same pace. Perhaps better to give a public apology, payment to charity of the player's choice and maybe a season-long ban?

As I said in a previous post I think fans who chant stuff like it are as bad, I used the doughty where's your chairman chant as an example.

I am sure there must be posters who took part in this must post here but doubt any would be brave enough to admit it.

My initial reaction to this ban was good. But think he should get a chance at some point but don't think it should be stated as 12 months, think it should be a unspecified ban that he can appeal later and demonstrate to the club he won't do it again.

41 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

As I said in a previous post I think fans who chant stuff like it are as bad, I used the doughty where's your chairman chant as an example.

I am sure there must be posters who took part in this must post here but doubt any would be brave enough to admit it.

My initial reaction to this ban was good. But think he should get a chance at some point but don't think it should be stated as 12 months, think it should be a unspecified ban that he can appeal later and demonstrate to the club he won't do it again.

Sounds a sensible approach about the unspecified time but the opportunity to show that he'd changed. Good solution.

10 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

You have no how much hurts to lose someone you love they say it gets easier over time it does not in fact it gets harder. Something like this could tip player over the edge or his wife. So for me life ban stands and i hope he never gets a 2nd chance.

I applaud most of what you say and your passion, but I would guess most people on this forum do understand what its like to lose someone.

16 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

You have no how much hurts to lose someone you love they say it gets easier over time it does not in fact it gets harder. Something like this could tip player over the edge or his wife. So for me life ban stands and i hope he never gets a 2nd chance.

Just to put this out there. You say he shouldn't be given a second chance...but in the eranio thread you have posted saying can we bring him home? Did eranio himself not publicly make comments he shouldn't have and was sacked as a result....why can we forgive one but not the other?

No he left on his own choice mate as derby got releated back to old 1st divison 1 mate as derby could no longer afford his wages. And his passion will rub on current first team and what lad said was sick big time if i was billy i would find him teach him a lession in respect.

Archived