Lifetime ban for supporter following abusive social media posts

Day

Sith Happens
2 hours ago, angieram said:

Hi Tony, hope you're doing ok.

I'm sure you know this already but does no harm to post again:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-39308709

A couple with three autistic sons have persuaded a fifth football club to open a sensory room for fans with the condition.

Kate and Pete Shippey campaigned for all grounds to have them because their eldest son struggled to watch matches at Sunderland's Stadium of Light.

The club was the first to open a room, with a view of the pitch, last year. (full article above).

I recall seeing this on BBC television last year when the first room opened - I particularly remember it as my niece is autistic and we have several family members there or thereabouts!

I don't think Derby have one yet but they should have, in my opinion. I'd also like to see it opened up for adults and not just children as I am sure that the sensitivity does not go away with age.

Regarding fans' behaviour generally, I am finding some of them are rattling my cage at the moment. I spent a long time away from matches because of this and generally feeling unsafe at matches. I find I am not alone in this especially among female fans. When you're feeling threatened by your own fans then it's time to stay away.

That's sad to hear. I know a lot of the behaviour is defended as banter..the thread on here a while back about the beer flinging at away games and the bloke who was at a match with his young daughter and got vile abuse.

We should all feel safe, the behaviour of 'some' fans is why I don't take my elderly dad to away games, at least at home I know those around us are a 'fairly' decent bunch.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to clarify it was in the 80s and 90s that I stopped going to matches rather than recently. 

However, I have been getting some of my old worries back, especially at away matches and more worryingly, from feeling threatened by fellow Rams' supporters rather than opposing fans. 

I hope that I am made of sterner stuff as I get older than to give in to it but I think that some fans need to take a good look at their collective behaviours and how they impact on others. I am sure they won't though! 

10 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

I've see a poster on here wishing certain world leader to be dead.. Should they serve a ban as well? Is it any different because it's a world leader? 

Nobody wishes Angela Merkel any harm, surely?

5 hours ago, angieram said:

Just to clarify it was in the 80s and 90s that I stopped going to matches rather than recently. 

However, I have been getting some of my old worries back, especially at away matches and more worryingly, from feeling threatened by fellow Rams' supporters rather than opposing fans. 

I hope that I am made of sterner stuff as I get older than to give in to it but I think that some fans need to take a good look at their collective behaviours and how they impact on others. I am sure they won't though! 

Some (not a huge number, but not an insignificant number) of our fans terrify the life out of me, the way they behave at away games.

20 hours ago, angieram said:

Dont give in angieram , this club needs fans like you , i too have noticed that sort of behaviour at away games , i was verbally abused at sheff utd last week when i dared to clap the players at the end of the game who came over to us , it really is time fans , players and club united together and get this club back into the Premier League , COYR

I think for some fans away days are an excuse for an all dayer with two 45 minutes of sobriety thrown in.

Can't knock it, I've done the same myself, but I just don't think the modern youth can hold their ale the same.

Probably because they stay in Sunday to Friday saving for a deposit on a crappy house, and get overexcited when let off the leash.

Why would a sensory room be of benefit at a football ground?

I could understand the benefit of providing a safe place in the event that attending a match becomes too overwhelming for an autistic child, but presumably if someone is likely to become that distressed its not a good idea to go to a match in the first place? Or it would be better to take them home?

Just asking.

On 8/29/2017 at 10:22, AlfretonRam84 said:

While I agree it was disgusting what was said and that it was definitely uncalled for and doesn't represent all of us, I can't help but feel a lifetime ban is not justifiable for this, people say stupid **** when they're angry. Not trying to defend what he did but just can't see why it deserves a lifetime ban. 

So you think this was banter then?

5 hours ago, RamNut said:

Why would a sensory room be of benefit at a football ground?

I could understand the benefit of providing a safe place in the event that attending a match becomes too overwhelming for an autistic child, but presumably if someone is likely to become that distressed its not a good idea to go to a match in the first place? Or it would be better to take them home?

Just asking.

I think it's just giving people with an autistic spectrum disorder the opportunity to go and do something they might want to go, in this case watch a live football match, but who previously wouldn't be able to. This may be because of the noise of the crowd, the hustle and bustle, the shouting, the anxiety building up the game, the uncertainty of what they may be about to face (which in my case never eases despite going to footy for over 25 years now).

It all depends on what end of the spectrum you are on and how severe your symptoms are. For example many people (like myself) are able to attend matches as a 'normal' spectator by and large although it does cause considerable anxiety and stress however growing up during the late 80's and 90's there wasn't really any recognition of autism / aspergers and so i had to just get on with it. 

Getting on with it is STILL what i have to do in 2017 as the vast majority of football clubs are so backwards when it comes to addressing their responsibilities towards disabilities, psychological, developmental and physical that they hinder rather than help. Most think by sticking a few wheelchair spots under cover at the front of the ground is fulfilling those responsibilites which is pretty damning. 

Sensory rooms will provide kids especially the opportunity of going to watch their team and be able to cope with it. Those with more severe forms of ASD who still find attending a game even in a sensory room too stressful then it may be advisable to rethink about whether attending games is really suitable for that particular child. In which case, like you say, it it's just too stressful then just don't bother coming. For many though, the sensory rooms enable people on the AS to access live football and feel part of the club and community. 

That is a step forward and one which should have been taken years ago, especially at the top level where they are all bathing in money. 

A lifetime ban is really over the top in my opinion if he has no way of mitigating it. If he doesn't want to..fine, ban stands.

But he should be able to contact the player and ask to meet him and apologise and hear the hurt he may have caused. He can also offer to help every Saturday in a hospital making tea/visiting/spending time with sick children and their families. 

He can explain next summer how this has made him feel..and the player and his family can be asked if they feel a lifetime ban is still appropriate. 

Surely a season learning the effect of a very sick tweet and then a story about how he has learned how cruel it was ..is better all-round than a carpet ban and job done. 

13 hours ago, Chester40 said:

A lifetime ban is really over the top in my opinion if he has no way of mitigating it. If he doesn't want to..fine, ban stands.

But he should be able to contact the player and ask to meet him and apologise and hear the hurt he may have caused. He can also offer to help every Saturday in a hospital making tea/visiting/spending time with sick children and their families. 

He can explain next summer how this has made him feel..and the player and his family can be asked if they feel a lifetime ban is still appropriate. 

Surely a season learning the effect of a very sick tweet and then a story about how he has learned how cruel it was ..is better all-round than a carpet ban and job done. 

If i was Billy Sharp or any other player (or person come to think of it) involved in anything like this i personally wouldnt be interested in meeting this individual.

All of it sounds idealistic to be honest, i may just be cynical but just cant imagine it happening, even if offered the option. But I may well be wrong, i am about a lot of things.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

If i was Billy Sharp or any other player (or person come to think of it) involved in anything like this i personally wouldnt be interested in meeting this individual.

All of it sounds idealistic to be honest, i may just be cynical but just cant imagine it happening, even if offered the option. But I may well be wrong, i am about a lot of things.

Restorative justice is very -'fashionable'...but it does have its merits.

I hear you...but if I were a player I would be more than happy with what is now such a public matter to make time to turn this into a good news story.

Explaining how stupid, crass Twitter comments like this can be very hurtful...maybe sell the story to the national press, link in the FA about wider dangers of trolling...raise money and profile for a children's charity. 

9 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Restorative justice is very -'fashionable'...but it does have its merits.

I hear you...but if I were a player I would be more than happy with what is now such a public matter to make time to turn this into a good news story.

Explaining how stupid, crass Twitter comments like this can be very hurtful...maybe sell the story to the national press, link in the FA about wider dangers of trolling...raise money and profile for a children's charity. 

It does sound, in theory, a good solution.

My view, and once again possibly unfair, is that a lot of these twitter/online bullies/trolls probably find it difficult to put on an item of clothing beyond 3 week stained underpants and sit in their mums back room with the curtains closed playing xbox all day, or thinking of people to abuse.

Like i say, i dont know this individual and this may be far off the mark, but I am generalising in an OTT way that given the options to do what you have said they will probably shrug their shoulders and say 'nah cant be bothered'.

Ta be honest wi ya his comments were disgusting but I'd like ta know  what a lifetime ban is going ta achieve . I agree he should have sum action taken but then again in typical Derby fashion they hit the panic button . They should have dragged the young man in and see what he had ta say for himself. I'd also like to know who the person is at Derby who hands out the band at Derby ... remember let him without sin cast the first stone ... 

Archived