Lifetime ban for supporter following abusive social media posts

Day

Just now, B4ev6is said:

No he left on his own choice mate as derby got releated back to old 1st divison 1 mate as derby could no longer afford his wages. And his passion will rub on current first team and what lad said was sick big time if i was billy i would find him teach him a lession in respect.

No I'm referring to the fact he was sacked for publicly making perceived racist comments, this was after he was with us.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, B4ev6is said:

I never heard but i dont think he would as i met him at my house my sister knew all the players had phone numbers back then under jim smith.

OK, well its true. Just Google it. So, is there a difference? Is it ok to forgive someone because of their hero status?

1 minute ago, philmycock said:

I'm lost

Ok. My point was this. B4 says there should be no second chances for what this guy said. Within minutes he posted on the eranio thread saying can he come home?

So I just posed the question why is it ok to forgive eranio who was sacked for public perceived racist comments but not this person.

3 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Ok. My point was this. B4 says there should be no second chances for what this guy said. Within minutes he posted on the eranio thread saying can he come home?

So I just posed the question why is it ok to forgive eranio who was sacked for public perceived racist comments but not this person.

Ah I see. I don't think Eranio was trying to be nasty and hurtful. Bit silly what he said, and probably offensive to some, but not malicious, unlike tit-fan.

Just now, philmycock said:

Ah I see. I don't think Eranio was trying to be nasty and hurtful. Bit silly what he said, and probably offensive to some, but not malicious, unlike tit-fan.

I get that, the point is people make mistakes even our hero's.

He still made the comments regardless of the intention to hurt or not. Did Rodney marsh intend to be nasty and hurtful when he made his tsunami joke which he was sacked for. 

Eranio made his comments and then defended them still referring to 'them' and 'us'. 

It just seems Its easier to forgive and give 2nd chances to someone like eranio who is a hero than someone who isn't.

Singing songs about say, a players dead baby is also totally out of order but you can perhaps see how some fans in the heat of the crowd would be swayed along to singing with it. 

The fact that the bloke in question actually sat down and took the time to type this message and then even after that had the time to consider if it was going to cause an issue before even sending it makes it far worse in my book. 

I can see why some would consider a life ban excessive but DCFC as an organisation have to do what they believe is right and quite clearly they do not wish to have people with these views attending matches at Pride Park. It's not a court of law where they only have the power to implement whatever punishment / ban the law dictates for the given transgression so therefore DCFC are under no obligation to adhere to any laws stating minimum lengths of bans and are free to choose the appropriate (IMO) ban.  In this instance for this particular fan i think they got it down to perfection. 

On 29/08/2017 at 21:06, Tamworthram said:

I think you're view is very much in the minority.

I just hope he gets a prison sentence as well.

I only saw the game on TV but wasn't a bottle thrown on to the pitch after one of their goals? Another idiot who should be banned. 

After reading through some very considered responses do you still believe that the opposing view is a clear minority?

3 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

So your saying it is okay to abuse some dead child he is sick and desevse that life ban.

So if that's true.... you're ok calling all forest scum in the name of "banter" ?????

Personal abuse like this, ie,something specific about one player, is bad and deserves a ban, it was stupid and brainless. 

A life ban? Probably harsh.

Plenty of horrendous chants go unpunished at matches. I remember chants aimed at Forest's John Robertson about his brother dying back in the early 80's?

Forest and Millwall have both sang about us burning our children (Philpott).

Liverpool, Man Utd and Leeds are all regular offenders, or were, for chanting about each other's fans or players deaths.....

All the fans who joined in should be banned for life if judged the same as the clown who tweeted about Billy Sharp.

Rangers and Celtic would have several thousand banned every time they play each other if the same criteria was used.

Is it a worse offence to post personal abuse to a player or to chant it en masse?

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Personal abuse like this, ie,something specific about one player, is bad and deserves a ban, it was stupid and brainless. 

Plenty of horrendous chants go unpunished at matches. I remember chants aimed at Forest's John Robertson about his brother dying back in the early 80's?

Liverpool, Man Utd and Leeds are all regular offenders, or were, for chanting about each other's fans or players deaths.....

All the fans who joined in should be banned for life if judged the same as the clown who tweeted about Billy Sharp.

Rangers and Celtic would have several thousand banned every time they play each other if the same criteria was used.

Is it a worse offence to post personal abuse to a player or to chant it en masse?

I think the problem with banning fans who chant is its not really feasible, but if you make a comment online you put yourself in the firing line.

I know bans have been issued for fans in a crowd who have been identified as individuals abusing people, racially etc but i guess we could say all of those examples you said a lot of people would have gone along with without really realising what they were doing.

I dont condone it, as I have said many times that day our fans (and it was a fair few) chanted about Nigel Doughty I was appauled and disgusted, i'd have happily banned every single one of them.

Just because its not realistic to ban fans who chant en masse doesnt mean that should ignore the comments of individuals online. One thing i would think to be true is those fans who chant at matches, most of them get caught up in whats happening and dont go through their daily life being abusive to people, those who post vile comments online often make a habit out of it, like they get a kick out of it so in that sense it probably is worse yes.

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

The context is different Uttox. The comment was made on the players social media account about the death of his child, something he was no doubt going to see or read. Chants about Munich or the Philpott children, however revolting they are, are not aimed at an individual. That doesn't mean they are any less appalling, but they are impersonal.

I work in a profession where on occasion I have had to deal with parents who have lost a child, and it is the hardest thing in the world to deal with; nothing comes close.

The moron who posted on Twitter got what he deserved.

14 minutes ago, Jayram said:

The context is different Uttox. The comment was made on the players social media account about the death of his child, something he was no doubt going to see or read. Chants about Munich or the Philpott children, however revolting they are, are not aimed at an individual. That doesn't mean they are any less appalling, but they are impersonal.

I work in a profession where on occasion I have had to deal with parents who have lost a child, and it is the hardest thing in the world to deal with; nothing comes close.

There can be en masse abuse aimed at individuals, seem to recall forest fans chanting about kris commons lost baby? Also i think the doughty chants, while not personally aimed at the doughty family cannot have been anything other that totally distressing for them as they were in attendance at the match that day.

But I still think as i said in my post most of those chanting get caught up in it and wouldnt repeat it, those who post online often do so regularly. He got caught, if he hadnt he would most likely have done it again if he hadnt already done so before.

40 minutes ago, Jayram said:

Just to point out it wasn't sent to Billy Sharp, it was on reply to the official Derby twitter.

59 minutes ago, rynny said:

Just to point out it wasn't sent to Billy Sharp, it was on reply to the official Derby twitter.

Correct, then others started screenshotting and sending it to Billy Sharp in some weird virtue signalling which is horrible, but people seem to turn a blind eye too

2 hours ago, Jayram said:

Unless the poster hacked into it, how could he have posted "on" Billy Sharp's social media account?

When Bobby Charlton was at the Baseball ground and our fans were singing about the Munich air crash, I'm glad it wasn't aimed at him.

Obviously these two points are facetious, but I hate the way people have such a herd mentality when it comes to social media and are quick to jump on any bandwagon unthinkingly. As this thread shows, the issues aren't straightforward once you start to explore them.

Archived