Is Rowett up to the job

ramma

Derby County manager Gary Rowett: "It was a difficult game. We knew that from last year.

"I thought we started the game really well, wanted to play higher and with more intensity and we did that for 10 minutes. Then it became impossible not to drop and defend.

"If you look at the whole game it is frustrating when we had an opportunity to get out we didn't play with composure and quality.

"Ultimately, they have had two shots on target the whole game, they didn't create that much. It was a sloppy goal to give away. We had dealt with virtually everything they threw at us. To concede a goal like that was really poor."

I agree regarding there goal, yes.

But FFS Gary if we go and play 10 men behind the ball we asking for trouble, the stats don't lie - shambolic display, shambolic performance!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, kingsy1884 said:

Like i said before for some people the sky is starting to fall down.

Get over yourselves if you ever expected us to rectify 3 years of failure in a few months you were wrong. Who has given us the right to be 'top 6 material'. No one. Success is earned.

How has Rowett earned it? He told us we were top 2 quality, what's gone wrong Gary?

If you go out there and promise the world and deliver little people aren't going to be happy. 

If you promise top 2 and deliver bottom half people aren't going to be happy.

If you promise youth, energy and pace in midfield and make us older and slower, people aren't going to be happy.

1 hour ago, toddy said:

Derby County manager Gary Rowett: "It was a difficult game. We knew that from last year.

"I thought we started the game really well, wanted to play higher and with more intensity and we did that for 10 minutes. Then it became impossible not to drop and defend.

"If you look at the whole game it is frustrating when we had an opportunity to get out we didn't play with composure and quality.

"Ultimately, they have had two shots on target the whole game, they didn't create that much. It was a sloppy goal to give away. We had dealt with virtually everything they threw at us. To concede a goal like that was really poor."

But FFS Gary if we go and play 10 men behind the ball we asking for trouble, the stats don't lie - shambolic display, shambolic performance!

Having been at the game I can say that the performance doesn't lie either! :)

Difficult game yes - Played with intensity for 10 mins yes - BECAME IMPOSSIBLE? No It didn't, your players just decided to sit back and drop off and you did nothing about it Gary

Yes, fair point about lack of composure - We looked like we could handle beating them when we actually made the effort to pass it around - But then that last paragraph - WHAT?!?!? We were DIRE - They were much better than us - And you give an interview that sounds like you're a little disappointed to have conceded a late goal? You should be utterly ashamed of a Derby side playing that poorly

34 minutes ago, toddy said:

Why does it become impossible to play with intensity high up the pitch after 10 min? 

Lacks critical analysis for me. Aren't we meant to be fitter this season? 

The thread "Is Rowett up to the job"

Looking at it totally rationally the answer has to be NO.

As Derby fan and football enthusiast all I ask for is to be entertained, with an underlying understanding that when this is not possible I would like to see a tactical nouse from the team and manager to maximise our rewards.

Unfortunately I don't see any of this from the present management at Derby County FC.

3 hours ago, toddy said:

yes and we were a few minutes from winning , bore off and leave the supporting to real FANS

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ramma said:

Still no. Form is temporary. 

Will your next positive post be your first? I realise we have some negative posters on the forum but even they occasionally see something good about the club. By your incessant criticism of the manager you are embarassing yourself - was the sole purpose of you joining this forum to continually have a go at him?

Doubt very much that you're a Rams fan anyway.

I'm not fully convinced he's significantly better than Wassall or a fully backed Mac2 would have been, but I'm certainly warming to him. We're winning games and improving, I don't think we've dominated anyone in ways that we did in recent history, but we look to have more steel about us. I'd give him a 6 or a 7 so far. 

On 9/26/2017 at 08:05, G STAR RAM said:

So far all he has done is sell our best players and deliver a poor standard of football at the same time as bringing exactly the sort of players that he said he didn't want. Is Russell the first sign of unrest within the camp already? Or did that start with Butterfields comments? Time will tell.

Although football is a results business, I believe many will forego results for exciting football but when the results and football are poor, having spent millions, then the writing will soon be on the wall.

FWIW I hope I'm drastically wrong and in no way would I support sacking Rowett, just as I would not with Pearson, however excuses are already beginning to wear thin with me.

Again all about opinions. The majority of our supporters deemed Hughes one of our best players, disagree, and said so at the time. He was one of the main reasons we weren’t progressing and I would argue that Lawrence is already having a much bigger impact in moving us forward.

Your point on foregoing results for exciting football intrigues me and is debated by many a football supporter. From my prospective there is only two ways at looking at this. For example we drop into Div1/2 and win both leagues playing open and expansive football. Fine, happy days!

After promotion to the Championship we again adopt the same approach and are on the end of some hammerings, and as a result sit mid-table or outside the play-offs. Sound familiar?

Well hopefully I will see Derby back in the Premiership before my days are numbered and that will only be achieved on the back of some workman like, dour, and stubborn performances that win matches.

To that end Rowett is doing an excellent job and knows what is required to get us out of this league. My current analysis is that we are ahead of the game and things can only get better.

I'm afraid we don't have to look any further than one issue to decide if the manager is up to the job, and can become a successful manager of Derby County .. his absolute, total lack of appreciation that the best player on the books is worthy of a start every week ! What is it that convinces him that Nugent is a better option than Martin ? 

Yes, Nugent and Vydra have combined well on a couple of occasions in scoring a goal, but with Chris Martin in the side there are always (if he is given the ball) chances being created for other players via his skill and awareness in tight situations, and he is an established 20 goal a season man too (with the right system in place behind him) ..

i despair that he is incapable of seeing this, and fear that it will cost us dear before the end of the season .. 

1 hour ago, Ram8 said:

I'm afraid we don't have to look any further than one issue to decide if the manager is up to the job, and can become a successful manager of Derby County .. his absolute, total lack of appreciation that the best player on the books is worthy of a start every week ! What is it that convinces him that Nugent is a better option than Martin ? 

Yes, Nugent and Vydra have combined well on a couple of occasions in scoring a goal, but with Chris Martin in the side there are always (if he is given the ball) chances being created for other players via his skill and awareness in tight situations, and he is an established 20 goal a season man too (with the right system in place behind him) ..

i despair that he is incapable of seeing this, and fear that it will cost us dear before the end of the season .. 

We do not play to that system anymore though.... not digging at Martin here, but the system in which he was the focal point did not get us out of this division.. 

17 hours ago, Pearson said:

The majority of our supporters deemed Hughes one of our best players, disagree, and said so at the time.

Fair enough - You're wrong of course but you are entitled to sit there in your wrongness and be wrong :D

Your point on foregoing results for exciting football intrigues me and is debated by many a football supporter. From my prospective there is only two ways at looking at this. For example we drop into Div1/2 and win both leagues playing open and expansive football. Fine, happy days!

After promotion to the Championship we again adopt the same approach and are on the end of some hammerings, and as a result sit mid-table or outside the play-offs. Sound familiar?

Southampton went down to League 1, played open expansive football - Did the same in the championship AND the Premier League

We've had discussions on other threads (and maybe this one earlier) about playing style - The majority of teams who've gone up and survived have been teams who played open, expansive football - The ones who play defensively like Hull and Boro seem to be back in our league

Well hopefully I will see Derby back in the Premiership before my days are numbered and that will only be achieved on the back of some workman like, dour, and stubborn performances that win matches.

Might get there - Probably won't survive

To that end Rowett is doing an excellent job and knows what is required to get us out of this league.

With his long history and multiple examples of doing so?

12 minutes ago, Mr Giggles said:

We do not play to that system anymore though.... not digging at Martin here, but the system in which he was the focal point did not get us out of this division.. 

Played well on Saturday when he came on and apparently at Cardiff as well - In the current system - His hold up play is great when you have 3 tricky players in behind him - I think he'd rather enjoy not being the focal point but 1 part of an attacking unit

6 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Played well on Saturday when he came on and apparently at Cardiff as well - In the current system - His hold up play is great when you have 3 tricky players in behind him - I think he'd rather enjoy not being the focal point but 1 part of an attacking unit

Completely agree with this, but is it worth changing the players we have up top when they are already linking very well?

Archived