Is Rowett up to the job

ramma

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, rynny said:

Forgot to add, I agree with you with his Bolton team when he had Jay Jay, Campo, Hierro etc they were a good tema to watch.

Djorkaeff was the icing on that cake for me - Just such an amazingly classy player - Although Okocha was (as our Craig would say) "different gravy"

16 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

Bournemouth, Swansea, Watford, Leicester, Southampton (under Adkins) all went up playing attacking football and have stayed up.

Hull switched to that style half way through the season and they nearly stayed up as a result - I seem to remember them being well adrift at the bottom before hand.

Newcastle and Huddersfield at the moment are both going well playing that way.

Agree with you on Bournemouth but the remainder are primarily set out defensively. Nothing wrong in that, Leicester won the league playing on the break!

Early days for Huddersfield and Newcastle should be competitive at this level with their financial clout.

6 hours ago, cheron85 said:

You mean the Southampton that are currently in 10th place in the Premier League? That finished 8th (I think) last season?

Interesting...

Plus all of the below

I'd go as far as suggesting there is only one manager capable of sustaining dour, defensive football on a regular basis in the Premier League - His name is Tony - Everyone else gets unstuck if they don't try and play football

Apologies, meant Sunderland.

7 hours ago, rynny said:

I would say his teams were more defensive than attacking, mainly playing route 1 stuff.

It was funny as when Bolton played like this, it was called hoofball, but when Chelsea did the same, it was long passing. :blink:

Rowett can only work with what he has. We have a strong defence and some of the best attackers in the league. Our midfield however isn't the best, GT is a little while off full fitness, leaders/hudds are both on the older side and Johnson can be a little hit and miss. If defence to the front four is the strongest tactic then I don't see why we shouldn't use it. 

Personally I don't care how we get promoted, how we'll stay up can be dealt with once we get there 

1 hour ago, RamLad1884 said:

Rowett can only work with what he has. We have a strong defence and some of the best attackers in the league. Our midfield however isn't the best, GT is a little while off full fitness, leaders/hudds are both on the older side and Johnson can be a little hit and miss. If defence to the front four is the strongest tactic then I don't see why we shouldn't use it. 

Personally I don't care how we get promoted, how we'll stay up can be dealt with once we get there 

Part of the reason why our midfield doesn't fit the rest of the team is down to Rowett/the summer transfer window.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived