Is Rowett up to the job

ramma

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

If Rowett had only been here since the beginning of the season then I would understand but he had the end of last season plus pre season to set us on a path.

So far all he has done is sell our best players and deliver a poor standard of football at the same time as bringing exactly the sort of players that he said he didn't want. Is Russell the first sign of unrest within the camp already? Or did that start with Butterfields comments?

And Christie's comments. Did Ince say owt can't remember.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Ramchop said:

We haven't got 3 centre mids though. 

523? Or as it's usually shown on sky a 343 (I won't have that; wing backs are defenders) 

Although I'm sure there'd be a meltdown at the thought of us being any more defensive 

Ledley hudds and Johnson? And yes its slightly more defensive but it's different and our 4231 isn't working so 343 I'd be happy to try that, but it's just that centre mid problem again tho with two because we always get over ran in midfield 

3 minutes ago, cannable said:

About Rowett wanting defensive full-backs

“At a football club you have ups and downs, people don’t see it – it is a dream job but, like any job, there are moments you don’t enjoy,” Christie told BBC Tees.

“I’ve had it plenty when I was at Derby, I had good seasons, a bad few games and they made me feel like I’d had a whole bad season.

“Some people wrote me off there and then I came back, played the whole season, did well and picked up some awards at the end-of-season awards, for me that was character building.

“It’s a massive weight off the shoulders,” he said. “I feel like I’ve had a new lease of life.

“I’ve come into a team which is really tight knit, they get on really well, a great bunch and the staff all around the place are fantastic as well.”

Just now, RamNut said:

I think christie's comments were aimed more at the fans.

Just edited this bit in that I missed:

“I’ve come into a team which is really tight knit, they get on really well, a great bunch and the staff all around the place are fantastic as well.”

Rowett says the message of what is expected will be "rammed a little more firmly down the players' throats before the game".

thats not likely to help him build trust

another sign that things are a bit strained?

5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Rowett says the message of what is expected will be "rammed a little more firmly down the players' throats before the game".

Sound like Gaz passed the same safeguarding checks as Mark Sampson :o

5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Oh god another step nearer to becoming Brownio. Sounds like its as much for the fans, we don't want to hear stuff like 'we're going to sweep them away with majestic football' now do we! :lol:

25 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I think christie's comments were aimed more at the fans.

Doubt it, Derby fans are very patient, we are not the type to get on the players backs after a couple of bad performances, we are very understanding when it comes to this and allow them time to rediscover their form whilst offering our full support.

9 minutes ago, David said:

Doubt it, Derby fans are very patient, we are not the type to get on the players backs after a couple of bad performances, we are very understanding when it comes to this and allow them time to rediscover their form whilst offering our full support.

And the final para that gets at the players and staff?

Once the trust goes, once people stop believing you, you can say good night. It's alright thinking 'I can say what I want, x player has left now' but 'x' was possibly friendly with many others still there, x and the others have been there much longer than you have, remember, and it's possible most of them don't like 'you'. This scenario would doubtless cause tension, arguments, distrust, failure. 

Imagine if x player was actually x players though, more than one. Imagine the issues then. On and off the park.

If you cannot get people to trust or believe in you, if people doubt you, you aren't going to lead them anywhere. 

A quote from a baseball coach.

Just a few rambling thoughts having caught up with the last few pages.

Football is a results game that's what Rowett should be judged on, it is, so let's ignore performances and look at the results then. We are 4 points off the top 6 with 37 games left to play, that's a possible 111 points to play for. It's going to be tight, can't afford many slip ups but I am confident that gap can be closed between now and May.

But it's more than results, when you pay £500 out you want to be entertained in the process, of course you do. It's not in the small print, we guarantee you entertaining football, but you want it and it's not been there.

To say we are not in a transitional phase is wrong, because that is exactly where we are right now.

I remember a bright blonde haired young player that was widely regarded as our best player, a talented lad that has the potential to go to the top talking with RamsTV, he spoke about the difficulties adjusting to a new managers ideas, didn't shirk all responsibility, admitted he should have done better but you felt that managerial merry go round was not one that had a positive effect on the team.

I have a certain level of sympathy with the players, McClaren, Clement, Wassall, Pearson, McClaren, Rowett. 6 managers in 4 years. Each with their own ideas of how to play football.

Yes you can pull out examples where new managers have walked in and hit the ground running, everything just clicked, but there are many more where it started slowly before they looked anywhere near a team. Clement's side never kicked in until after the international break, before that we had the same topics, is he up to the job....the guy had a side that had just been in the play offs with £30m on top, the whole place was buzzing that summer until the reality hit. 

Villa, £80m snapping up all our "targets" last summer, I see that did them well yet they stuck by Bruce, gave him the time to get them playing how he wants, after a slow start again to the season they are now 5 unbeaten.

When Rowett arrived, you would be hard pushed to spot a difference in what we had seen previously. Was it a case of let's see what you have been doing then or I can't get my style of football across with this side. We'll go to work in the summer, get the players in I need to make it work and we'll go from there.

In that case we're 9 games in. 9. Because let's be fair, this season we have seen Rowett put his stamp on the side. Hasn't been pretty, far from it, nor was it an ideal transfer window. No secret this is not the midfield he wanted, spin the finger of blame and see where you end up I guess but it's happened.

Rowett now needs to find a different way of working with this side, we don't have that "Ratter" Ramage likes to call it, we don't have the legs in midfield to go hunt the ball down and make their presence known on the pitch.

You only after listen to his comments after games, even today ramming it down the players throats, this is not a manager who is happy, he's not a manager that is content with what is going on the pitch, clearly the players are not doing what is asked of them yet again. There is no defence of the players, no we just need some luck and we'll be alright. 

I'm writing more than I expected, sorry.

Rowett might not be the right man for the job, he might be the most clueless manager to ever walk through the door but the only way we will ever know is by giving him a chance, a fair chance and some level of understanding of what has gone on at this club prior to his arrival.

Understand that the reason this squad is so disjointed is we have seen so many managers through the door, yet another one this season could work it could, or it could set us back another 12 months. No matter who walks through that door this squad will still be lacking in mobility in midfield, but we will have to sit through another managers getting to know the players, realising that just because Chris Martin is a unit you can't just lump balls on to his head.

We've seen it, we've seen it time and time again and that's why it's frustrating, do you really want to go through that all again because after a handful of games Rowett hasn't entertained so far?

Football seasons run from August to May, have done for years. In my 35 years I can never remember a club other than Forest winning the league in September. It's rare, very rare. It's also rare to see a club walk it from August to May, not hitting bad patches, purple the entire way. 

This season isn't a write off, plenty of time to turn it around. Let's question the guy in May, judge him then after the completion of a football season, if it's not been good enough, not what we want from this club then we'll meet up with our bed sheets outside PP and wave our pitchforks. In May we won't look like a bunch of spoilt brats as we have at times in September.

Love you all, even the ones that will disagree with every single word. x

1 hour ago, DRBee said:

No , just not enjoying the football and saying so . If you can't take different views YOU should continue not to read message boards

I've got no problem with people coming on here after a game and saying they thought the team played badly, if it's their honest opinion and not just moaning for moanings sake. But the same posters coming on hour after hour day after day moaning about the same thing is what winds me up. Say what you want to say, let others have their say and then leave it be. Repeating the same stuff time after time or finding different words to continue saying the same thing will change nothing and just makes people sound bitter or look like spoiled brats.

Unless we somehow become in serious danger of going down, which seems pretty unlikely, I'd say stick with it for the season at least.

The last match I attended was Preston and I thought we were OK in an even match. Still some of the old frailties and attacking impotence on display though.

I'm interested to see how we've moved on tonight.

Watching replays, even the whole match, is no substitute for being there and feeling how the team and match are.

I'd expect gradual improvement in results as the season goes on and we become more Rowetts team.

Archived