Confess your unpopular Rams opinions

DarkFruitsRam7

34 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I don't actually think the individual players we have are that bad - I actually think each and every one of them is a potential top 6 player - The problem is we're consistently using them in the wrong way

Not a chance are most of them potentially top 6

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have had 5 managers that have helped us to a degree of success in the last 50 years.

Sir Brian was appointed in June 1967.  His first ten games brought 8 wins and two losses.  We finished season 67/68 in 19th and avoided relegation by only a few points.

In 68/69 we won 4, drew 4 and lost 2 and won the league by a street; in 71/72 we drew 6 and won 4 of the first ten

Dave Mackay’s time was similar.  In difficult circumstances his mid season first ten brought two wins, 4 draws and 4 losses and in 74/75 we drew 5, lost 2 and won only 3.

Arthur? Same again.  Champions of Division Two in 86/87 coming off the back of promotion the year before, the first ten record was won 4, lost 3, drew 3.

Jim? When we were runners up in 95/96 we won only 2 of the first ten, lost 4 and drew 4.  The Tranmere game that we lost 5-1 and recall as the turning point of that season, and Igor’s debut, was match 15.

Billy was appointed June 2006 and we went up through the play offs that year.  We won 4, lost 3 and drew 3 of the first ten in 2006/7.

Since Billy we have had (if you include all the caretakers) 12 managers in 10 years and only one, Nigel, with anything like a proper tenure (2009/13).  None of the first four above had the practical limitations of transfer windows and FFP or the nonsense of social media; they all 'just' had to deal with their abilities being questioned from terraces and seats.

A mediocre or even a poor start doesn’t necessarily lead to a poor or mediocre end.

On 8/9/2017 at 11:20, Ashz09 said:

Pride Park has no Atmosphere unless we're doing well. Hardly ever when we're behind.

We can produce one of the best Atmosphere's on the rare occasion but most of the time it's more suited to a library recently. 

Saturday was a typical example of this.

The rare occasion we did sing Wolves out sung us hard, Then it'd take a long time to get going again.

• 4 months later...
4 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Seen a Twitter thread similar to this so I thought I would revive this one:

Anyone who leaves games early, without good reason, is stupid beyond comprehension.

Very popular opinion with everyone who doesn't leave early :thumbsup: (I get t something like 5 games per season and it baffles me when folks are heading off on 40 then 80 min!)

My unpopular opinion - Johnson actually reads the game well and has a good football brain that his technique doesn't match.

PistoldPete2
33 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Seen a Twitter thread similar to this so I thought I would revive this one:

Anyone who leaves games early, without good reason, is stupid beyond comprehension.

I only leave early if the game is really **** and Im not enjoying it.

Sith Happens
9 minutes ago, sage said:

Baiano and Asanovic each only had 1 good season. 

Bit harsh on asanovic, he was only here for one.

Archived