Signed: Tom Lawrence - Undisclosed fee, long term contract

RamsFan10

1 minute ago, Jimmy Skitz said:

didn't want? we sent a young player out on loan to get games, as funnily enough the best way to improve them is for them to play first team football, something we couldn't offer him at that time, people wanted him recalled last January but there wasn't a recall clause (thank you Jon Rudkin you useless prick) so that wasn't an option

He isn't Premier League class simple. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

It's also not how the transfer market works to meet the asking price with initial bids. 

no you are obviously looking to get him as cheaply as possible, but maybe you should look at how we are handling the Mahrez situation for guidance, we aren't negotiating we set a price so meet it or don't

Just now, Mr Tibbs said:

That's a bit rich considering what you follow up that statement with. 

Very naive to think it's as black and white as that. 

no its never black and white but the fact is we set the price not you lot, that's the point, we aren't being "tight" we simply have a valuation of our player

1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Only problem is West Brom didn't reject a 7 million pound bid.

Remember that WBA fan came on here and said we've got no chance of getting Thorne blah blah blah then what happened next? We got him and I think WBA fan never posted again?

Just now, Jimmy Skitz said:

no you are obviously looking to get him as cheaply as possible, but maybe you should look at how we are handling the Mahrez situation for guidance, we aren't negotiating we set a price so meet it or don't

no its never black and white but the fact is we set the price not you lot, that's the point, we aren't being "tight" we simply have a valuation of our player

Yes, but every club sets a price, and the purchasing club always negotiates it to a better deal, that's how the transfer window works. It's naive to believe otherwise. Same as City will have asked for more on Iheanacho, and you will have negotiated it down, at the end of the day the player has 1 year left on his contract and if he doesn't sign another he can leave for free in a year.  

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

You're only supporting the point I was trying to make G star. 7 million for a player of his is anything but a good deal. We've put ourselves in a poor negotiation spot. Mahrez and Gray are both pushing for moves away from Leicester so there is a less of a need for Leicester to sell unlike before. Lawrence will be more confident of getting into their side if Mahrez and Gray leave.

But how do you know we've put ourselves in any position?

How do you know we didn't make a bid before but Shakespeare would not sell without giving him a pre season where he could either impress enough to earn a spot or push his asking price up?

You seem to have convinced yourself of your own version of events and are then using that as a negative against the club.

At the end of the day, its Mel's money and if he wants to spend 7 ml or more to get the man then he can and will. It makes no difference if we the fans think he is or isn't worth it. If we do manage to get him and he plays his part in getting us up, he will have been worth far more to us than 7/8 mil. Hope he makes the right decision and joins the Super Rams. COYR

1 minute ago, curtains said:

How many times do you think he will play for you lot next season in the Premier League. 

I've no idea as I cannot work out what system Shakespeare is going to use, and obviously Mahrez leaving would change things, personally I believe Mahrez will be a Roma player by September 1st

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Skitz said:

yeah that's not how the transfer market works, we set the value for the player you either meet it or go elsewhere, there's been talk of £10m bids coming from both Brighton and Newcastle and that's before you factor in the fact that we do not want to sell the player and quite obviously have no financial need to either.

as I said before, he's impressed in pre season and is rated highly by Shakespeare so pay what we demand or move on and stop wasting everyones time

Some good points, this being the most salient. Leicester don't need to sell, I am not as confident as you though Jimmy that they don't want to sell. I am sure your manager is hoping to have better wingers than him in his side come kick off. What I feel is closer to the truth is Leicester want to sell and not just give him away. That's the hold up, we are trying to play poker against someone who holds the best cards. I do feel we can discount the offers from Newcastle etc . You as a club would be stupid to strengthen a rival team, which I'm sure you're not 

1 minute ago, Jimmy Skitz said:

I've no idea as I cannot work out what system Shakespeare is going to use, and obviously Mahrez leaving would change things, personally I believe Mahrez will be a Roma player by September 1st

If Tom has any sense he will sign for Derby and learn with Rowett then he may get 1st team action .

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

But how do you know we've put ourselves in any position?

How do you know we didn't make a bid before but Shakespeare would not sell without giving him a pre season where he could either impress enough to earn a spot or push his asking price up?

You seem to have convinced yourself of your own version of events and are then using that as a negative against the club.

How do you know it's not true?

2 minutes ago, Doodle said:

Some good points, this being the most salient. Leicester don't need to sell, I am not as confident as you though Jimmy that they don't want to sell. I am sure your manager is hoping to have better wingers than him in his side come kick off. What I feel is closer to the truth is Leicester want to sell and not just give him away. That's the hold up, we are trying to play poker against someone who holds the best cards. I do feel we can discount the offers from Newcastle etc . You as a club would be stupid to strengthen a rival team, which I'm sure you're not 

I'd categorise the situation this way bud, we do not wish to sell the player, but given his age and his desire to play week in week out we have set a value, that he and his advisors know about and have said if we get offered that we will let him go but we like the player and think he could play a productive role for us this season.

5 minutes ago, ramant62 said:

At the end of the day, its Mel's money and if he wants to spend 7 ml or more to get the man then he can and will. It makes no difference if we the fans think he is or isn't worth it. If we do manage to get him and he plays his part in getting us up, he will have been worth far more to us than 7/8 mil. Hope he makes the right decision and joins the Super Rams. COYR

It's Mel's money physically but there is only do much he can subsidise us for FFP purposes.

If it's Mel's money, why such outrage from people at the fee we got for Hughes?

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Skitz said:

You're in the prime position and can dictate all the cards. If you don't want to sell then you don't have to and you can easily offer him a contract extension during the season if he plays well for you, there's no rush for you at all. The best chance we had of getting Lawrence was before Gray and Mahrez starting wanting out.

27 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Gray and Mahrez are both highly likely to leave Leicester. I doubt any club would want to lose 3 wingers in one window, especially when they hold all the cards.

I don't get how you work out that any of that is under our control? 

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

You're in the prime position and can dictate all the cards. If you don't want to sell then you don't have to and you can easily offer him a contract extension during the season if he plays well for you, there's no rush for you at all. The best chance we had of getting Lawrence was before Gray and Mahrez starting wanting out.

Gray doesn't want out he wants assurances he'll get more game time, he's also still on the contract he signed when we bought him, he'll sign a new deal and be playing week in week out when Mahrez goes to Italy

Archived