Signed: Tom Lawrence - Undisclosed fee, long term contract

RamsFan10

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Before you press on with your blame the club agenda, you want to tell me how the club could have done it differently since he's been on tour, and clearly Shakespeare wanted to have a look at him? You're using this as a rod to hit the club with, yet providing no insight into how it could have been done differently? 

How am I using it for an agenda? This is why I dislike posting on this forum sometimes, people choose what they want to read. I clearly stated that the club deserve praise for what we have done in the summer so far but trying to get a cheaper deal has screwed us over for this one. I guarantee that any further bid we will make will be bigger than what we intended to. In this market you have to be proactive , you can't afford to wait around. You could have got away with that in the past but not anymore because the market's too competitive and everyone has lots of money. Shakespeare 'may' have wanted to look at him but that also applies with every other player in their squad. You don't know unless you try. Teams hardly ever get cheaper deals by waiting. If anything they get more and more expensive because teams know you are desperate for their players.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

How am I using it for an agenda? This is why I dislike posting on this forum sometimes, people choose what they want to read. I clearly stated that the club deserve praise for what we have done in the summer so far but trying to get a cheaper deal has screwed us over for this one. I guarantee that any further bid we will make will be bigger than what we intended to. In this market you have to be proactive , you can't afford to wait around. You could have got away with that in the past but not anymore because the market's too competitive and everyone has lots of money. Shakespeare 'may' have wanted to look at him but that also applies with every other player in their squad. You don't know unless you try. Teams hardly ever get cheaper deals by waiting. If anything they get more and more expensive because teams know you are desperate for their players.

How do you know we have not bid before? 

I would hardly call £7m trying to get him on the cheap.

He is 23 years old with one decent season behind him, I would actually call £7m daylight robbery.

1 minute ago, curtains said:

He is a good player but 8 Million is about right for tight Leicester 

yeah that's not how the transfer market works, we set the value for the player you either meet it or go elsewhere, there's been talk of £10m bids coming from both Brighton and Newcastle and that's before you factor in the fact that we do not want to sell the player and quite obviously have no financial need to either.

as I said before, he's impressed in pre season and is rated highly by Shakespeare so pay what we demand or move on and stop wasting everyones time

Begging for scraps off Leicesters table shows how far they've gone in a few years, and how we've stood still.

Like a poor Jack Russell who gets a smack every time he begs a snorker, we roll over and let other teams tickle our belly in the hope they'll be kind enough to chuck us a bone, only to be served up Chappie.

Keep the powder dry Gary, or use it on a Spanish hound.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I expect Derby will have received a 'he is not for sale' response then.

At least we can move on now.

most likely that with his agent then telling you that privately the club have a value for which they would sell, as all clubs do for all players

Just now, Jimmy Skitz said:

yeah that's not how the transfer market works, we set the value for the player you either meet it or go elsewhere, there's been talk of £10m bids coming from both Brighton and Newcastle and that's before you factor in the fact that we do not want to sell the player and quite obviously have no financial need to either.

as I said before, he's impressed in pre season and is rated highly by Shakespeare so pay what we demand or move on and stop wasting everyones time

I say that is rubbish he really isn't worth pursuing then because 10 Million is ridiculous for a player you farmed out to Ipswich and didn't want last season. 

Couldn't care less where he goes now. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Skitz said:

We heard the same from West Brom with George Thorne...

6 minutes ago, McLovin said:

We don't have lots of money, hence our multi-millionaire owner subbing us to the tune of £20+ million a year.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Skitz said:

It's also not how the transfer market works to meet the asking price with initial bids. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy Skitz said:

That's a bit rich considering what you follow up that statement with. 

Very naive to think it's as black and white as that. 

7 minutes ago, McLovin said:

In what way is it not an agenda? You've repeatedly stated in this thread about how much differently the club could have done, yet with no inside knowledge to prove it could be done this way. The fact is, you're stating many things of which you do not really have any knowledge of, the club could have, and be proactively searching around, yet we just don't know.

Just now, curtains said:

I say that is rubbish he really isn't worth pursuing then because 10 Million is ridiculous for a player you farmed out to Ipswich and didn't want last season. 

Couldn't care less where he goes now. 

didn't want? we sent a young player out on loan to get games, as funnily enough the best way to improve them is for them to play first team football, something we couldn't offer him at that time, people wanted him recalled last January but there wasn't a recall clause (thank you Jon Rudkin you useless prick) so that wasn't an option

I suppose this is where Rowett, Morris and the clubs scouting system earn their corn. It's all about judgement at this point. If they make the call that £7 million is money well spent for the improvement it brings then that is up to them. They fail or succeed by their decisions and it's their (Mel's) club to run. 

I don't like the club throwing money around like confetti any more than I suspect anyone else does but it's not our take on the situation that matters. Whether we like it or not 'the going rate' for footballers in the Championship and elsewhere has risen exponentially over the last few seasons. Five years ago you'd probably have been laughed out the room for spending £10 million on a second tier player but it seems those kind of fees for a top six attacker are 'par for the course' now. It's just where we are. 

I'd be delighted to get a player of similar ability for a third of the price but I suspect it isn't as easy as it seems or every club would be doing it.

Additionally, it probably isn't as easy to find hidden gems as it was twenty years ago due to the vast scouting networks of Europes elite (and increasingly those of the rest of the top leagues) hoovering up the talent and stockpiling them from ever younger ages. We could loan from them but they'd likely demand a hefty fee and attach fairly restrictive terms and conditions. 

At the end of the day the club will assess the risks, pay it's money and make it's choice. We can only hope the judgement is correct and it pays off. 

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

How do you know we have not bid before? 

I would hardly call £7m trying to get him on the cheap.

He is 23 years old with one decent season behind him, I would actually call £7m daylight robbery.

You're only supporting the point I was trying to make G star. 7 million for a player of his is anything but a good deal. We've put ourselves in a poor negotiation spot. Mahrez and Gray are both pushing for moves away from Leicester so there is a less of a need for Leicester to sell unlike before. Lawrence will be more confident of getting into their side if Mahrez and Gray leave.

If Leicester have rejected a bid of £7 million of any description, we should move on.

Lawrence might be a good player, but I think we would be taking a massive risk by paying a similar kind of fee that we got for more established and proven players in Ince and Hughes.

I was always of the opinion that if the price was right, he would be a signing with excellent promise and a lot of upside. But at £7 million plus, he is going to have to produce as consistently as Ince did and we've seen already with Vydra how much of a burden a large price tag can be on a player.

At this point, we would be much better off giving opportunities to existing players in the squad. It's their time to step out of Ince's shadow.

Archived