Signed: Tom Lawrence - Undisclosed fee, long term contract

RamsFan10

1 hour ago, RamsFan10 said:

Think I disagree with the vast majority on this bid. Bit confused by people's sudden vested interests in protecting Mel's money. 7 ish million is about the going rate for a top 6 standard championship winger today. I'd argue people have to consider how much a player is worth to a club changes depending on the club. For us, we are one or two top quality attacking players - particularly wingers - away from being proper top six contenders. Lawrence could be worth a whole lot more than 7 million to Derby. 

If we were prepared to bid 7, I see no harm in going to 8 - what's a million to Mr Candy Crush anyway. Perhaps we offered lots in add ons but Leicester wanted it upfront. I wouldn't want us to completely shut this option off now, but at the same time I hope we have other bids in for other targets. 7/8 million ish might just be enough to call Brentford's bluff on Jota...

It's not about protecting Mel's money (although personally I would like to see us being self sufficient) it's about complying with FFP. 

£7m for a 23 year old 1 season wonder is too high for me.

A few bad games and the people who were happy to splash lots of cash on him will be the same people reminding us that he should be playing better based on the fee we paid for him!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, PistoldPete2 said:

If he joins us I would love to be proved wrong but I think at £7million he is already well overpriced. One decent season at Ipswich does not a career make.

Not when he has been a serial loanee- he is nearly 24 

Maybe Leicester rejecting the bid has nothing to do with the price, they might be waiting to see what is happening with Gray/Mahrez first before making a decision? 

Unfortunately for us they dont have to rush into anything, they hold all the cards here. 

Just now, Derbados said:

Maybe Leicester rejecting the bid has nothing to do with the price, they might be waiting to see what is happening with Gray/Mahrez first before making a decision? 

Unfortunately for us they dont have to rush into anything, they hold all the cards here. 

it's nothing to do with that either, he's impressing in preseason and is 1 of 4 wingers at the club

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

A much weaker negotiating standpoint than previously. More of a need for Leicester to keep him than before.

How do you work that out?

2 hours ago, RamsFan10 said:

Think I disagree with the vast majority on this bid. Bit confused by people's sudden vested interests in protecting Mel's money. 7 ish million is about the going rate for a top 6 standard championship winger today. I'd argue people have to consider how much a player is worth to a club changes depending on the club. For us, we are one or two top quality attacking players - particularly wingers - away from being proper top six contenders. Lawrence could be worth a whole lot more than 7 million to Derby. 

If we were prepared to bid 7, I see no harm in going to 8 - what's a million to Mr Candy Crush anyway. Perhaps we offered lots in add ons but Leicester wanted it upfront. I wouldn't want us to completely shut this option off now, but at the same time I hope we have other bids in for other targets. 7/8 million ish might just be enough to call Brentford's bluff on Jota...

I think you have just said Russell is worth £7 million being a regular in a team that has finished basically in the top 6 regularly 

( I like Russell but let's put it in context) 

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

A much weaker negotiating standpoint than previously. More of a need for Leicester to keep him than before.

Before you press on with your blame the club agenda, you want to tell me how the club could have done it differently since he's been on tour, and clearly Shakespeare wanted to have a look at him? You're using this as a rod to hit the club with, yet providing no insight into how it could have been done differently? 

1 minute ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Kids on the bench too which is an indicator, and only 6 subs! 

And Mahrez and Gray feature who are apparently pushing for moves. With GR's comments over the past two days and then today's developments, I think the deal might be moving closer.

Just now, Kernow said:

And Mahrez and Gray feature who are apparently pushing for moves. With GR's comments over the past two days and then today's developments, I think the deal might be moving closer.

Yes my thought too. Fingers crossed. 

18 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

The decision to be made by GR is that will Lawrence be the one whose signing will get us over line and be promoted.

If thinks he is then we will go as far as we can to sign him.

If there cheaper alternatives GR thinks can equally do the job then we move on to them until we eventually get one of his targets

If Rowett thought there would be cheaper alternatives who could do what he feels we need tgen he wouldn't have wasted time chasing the more expensive option. I reckon Lawrence must definitely be his No.1 target

Archived