Signed: Tom Lawrence - Undisclosed fee, long term contract

RamsFan10

18 minutes ago, sage said:

Vydra isn't creative he has pace and feeds of a target man. He is no more than average at dribbling and passing. He is a finisher not a creator. 

Sounds like a Kevin Philip's love child.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Russell weimann and anya defo are not good enough really for top 6 and definitely top 2 

I went yesterday and although a pre season friendly hoffeinham didn't even get out of first gear and had our wingers in back pockets who failed to produce anything apart from russell running to nowhere or running the ball to far infront of him and being dispossessed time after time 

I looked at last season and russell scored 1 goal all season anya scored 1 goal and weimann didn't even finish the season with us now if you look at Newcastle they had matt ritchie who I think got 16 goals and bright had Knockart who bagged I think 15 or 14 goals and then they have Murray and gayle who got over 20 goals 

Now look at our squad Martin had done it before and could see him getting 20 goals this season with good service or nugent but blimey do you see any of our wingers getting anywhere near that no way and last time we finished 3rd we Fortunetley had bryson who got 16 goals but he ain't going to do that again after watching yesterday he doesn't have the legs anymore johnson can't pass and doesn't get forward like bryson used too as he doesn't surge forward at all and butterfield just stood on huddlestones toes all game where he might as well have played his role as he never left more than 1 foot away from him all game and if you are playing 4-3-3 surely one of the 3 needs to help Martin bit since the 13 14 season where bryson made the box to box runs to help Martin and go beyond him we haven't had it and thats why Martin has looked useless because no one is anywhere near him making runs past him in which bryson used to and that's why vydra needs to be given a try behind him or someone in shape of bryson from that season would be perfect a energetic box to box midfielder with Lawrence and another winger and we will make top 6 easy but too many of them players yesterday not good enough apart from back 5 and goalie 

...............and breeeeeaaaatthhhhhh 

59 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

I agree that we do need to add a creative spark, but you can't say Russell, Anya & Weimann "aren't good enough for top 6" when Russell was a regular in a side that finished 3rd, Anya was a regular in a side that got automatically promoted and Weimann was a regular in a side the survived in the Premier League.

They're not as "bad" as some people make out, just not as good as Ince.

Give it time, Gaz knows what we need and he'll be working hard to get it as soon as he can.

DON'T PANIC MR MAINWARING!

I take the point re Russell, even though he hasn't emulated that form the last few years. As for the other two, Anya was a regular as a right or left wing back, not a winger. His best position is wingback in a 5-3-2 / 3-5-2. I like Anya as a bench player, versatile, but made little sense as a signing as we don't really play a formation with his best position. Much the same goes for Weimann, talk to any Villa fan and they'll tell you his best position is down the middle. The only natural winger we really have is Russell. 

To my mind Russell came to the club as a Centre Forward, as did Weimann. Early days for Bennett but best form has also been upfront albeit for Reserves/U23's etc. Could even argue Blackman is a striker but some comments on here are embarrassing about him.

Anja been playing full back for Scotland and has never been prolific.  

Vydra's successful period seems to have come from playing in a partnership up front.

I'm not suggesting we play the players in the positions they are accustomed but doubt they will give you a goals return like Ritchie and Knockart did playing in 4-3-3 formation.

Square pegs in round holes for me and it was highlighted yesterday down our left because Weimann isn't the answer playing there in a side that wants to be pushing for promotion. It's not natural for him.

Quite happy with defence but would like to see us move a few of these on (I accept that aint easy) and bring in Lawrence and another similar. 

Regards

Gangway D from the terrace

1 hour ago, Barney1991 said:

Russell weimann and anya defo are not good enough really for top 6 and definitely top 2 

I went yesterday and although a pre season friendly hoffeinham didn't even get out of first gear and had our wingers in back pockets who failed to produce anything apart from russell running to nowhere or running the ball to far infront of him and being dispossessed time after time 

I looked at last season and russell scored 1 goal all season anya scored 1 goal and weimann didn't even finish the season with us now if you look at Newcastle they had matt ritchie who I think got 16 goals and bright had Knockart who bagged I think 15 or 14 goals and then they have Murray and gayle who got over 20 goals 

Now look at our squad Martin had done it before and could see him getting 20 goals this season with good service or nugent but blimey do you see any of our wingers getting anywhere near that no way and last time we finished 3rd we Fortunetley had bryson who got 16 goals but he ain't going to do that again after watching yesterday he doesn't have the legs anymore johnson can't pass and doesn't get forward like bryson used too as he doesn't surge forward at all and butterfield just stood on huddlestones toes all game where he might as well have played his role as he never left more than 1 foot away from him all game and if you are playing 4-3-3 surely one of the 3 needs to help Martin bit since the 13 14 season where bryson made the box to box runs to help Martin and go beyond him we haven't had it and thats why Martin has looked useless because no one is anywhere near him making runs past him in which bryson used to and that's why vydra needs to be given a try behind him or someone in shape of bryson from that season would be perfect a energetic box to box midfielder with Lawrence and another winger and we will make top 6 easy but too many of them players yesterday not good enough apart from back 5 and goalie 

I disagree with almost all of this :) But each to their own assessment

Nearly made me pass out reading it but good post!

3 minutes ago, GangwayD said:

To my mind Russell came to the club as a Centre Forward, as did Weimann. Early days for Bennett but best form has also been upfront albeit for Reserves/U23's etc. Could even argue Blackman is a striker but some comments on here are embarrassing about him.

Anja been playing full back for Scotland and has never been prolific.  

Vydra's successful period seems to have come from playing in a partnership up front.

I'm not suggesting we play the players in the positions they are accustomed but doubt they will give you a goals return like Ritchie and Knockart did playing in 4-3-3 formation.

Square pegs in round holes for me and it was highlighted yesterday down our left because Weimann isn't the answer playing there in a side that wants to be pushing for promotion. It's not natural for him.

Quite happy with defence but would like to see us move a few of these on (I accept that aint easy) and bring in Lawrence and another similar. 

Regards

Gangway D from the terrace

Good post mate?Enjoyed it,especially the first paragraph??

Agree with most of it.

Other than Martin the only player I can see getting more than 10 goals this season will be Vydra. 

Gary knows we need alternatives up too. 

From what I've seen from the friendlies we will be harder to beat this season which will stand us in good stead when playing top 8 teams. 

We need to add some creativity though. 

PistoldPete2
33 minutes ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

Agree with most of it.

Other than Martin the only player I can see getting more than 10 goals this season will be Vydra. 

Gary knows we need alternatives up too. 

From what I've seen from the friendlies we will be harder to beat this season which will stand us in good stead when playing top 8 teams. 

We need to add some creativity though. 

Nugent scored six goals in half a season, not even that as he was injured a bit. He and martin are a threat, so is vydra altho Rowett doesn't seem to fancy him. But they need good service, which they won't get with our current midfield and wingers. 

2 hours ago, Barney1991 said:

Great post. Nail on head. We at least need one of three things, preferably all of them. 

1) wingers who carry the ball in to dangerous areas at the right end of the pitch, can score on their own if needed and provide and offensive outlet for Hudds/Thorne.

2) an attacking midfielder with the same attributes

3) a man in hole who is prepared to go deep to get the ball and/or be a foil for CM

Day Three under the Leicester Manager's bed in Stratford upon Avon.

Got to say it's nowhere near as plush as Owen' gaffe was last year (not a shag pile carpet in sight) but some of the goings on here make the debauchery at Chez Bradley look like a vicars tea party!

For instance, yesterday this fella turns up for an assignation while Craig's away...

Lawrence-fox.jpg

Fairly sure he's a Fox and Anne (Craig's wife) kept kept referring to him as Lawrence.  Have to say that never having seen Tom Lawrence play he has amazing stamina and ball control.  Not sure if he recognises the consequences of his actions, and I suspect that he'll end up paying the Piper.

Anyway as we've sold one blond midfield maestro, I say sign him up Gary (but only quietly in case I'm discovered).

6 hours ago, Coconut said:

...so say we've got a budget of £9m, you'd rather we just straight up give Leicester £9m for Tom Lawrence for the sake of waiting 3 or 4 weeks waiting time, when we might get him for £6m and use the remaining £3m to strenghten in another area as well?

I don't think it would go that high but yes, although add ons are our friend in this scenario because if he performs and we pay a bit extra it will be justified. 

Put in something like £4m with significant add ons to show you're serious, and let them reject or counter.  If they don't accept bump it up a few times to make them. 

Leave it a month and hope to get him cheaper and someone may well steal in, what could be £5m,rising to £8m now, may well turn into £8 or 9m up front if we leave it. You only have to look at what Wildschutt went for due to desperation last deadline day and he hadn't looked half as good.  And if it goes down to the wire and somehow comes off are you going to going to be able to magically produce another deal for a midfielder at the 11th hour?

Ideally whether it be he or Jota or whoever we should have started negotiations as soon as the Ince cash hit the bank and got something sorted out weeks ago.  If neither of those were viable then look at plan c, d or e.  It was acknowledged when Ince left we would need a very good replacement so we've known since a bid was placed we should get moving on getting one.  If we want/need 2 for that money all the more reason to have got it sorted asap.  Even if for some reason GR was giving players chance to show they could be the replacement (bearing in mind he wouldn't have seen Weimann first hand) then it must have been apparent well before now that we're lacking and need to sign something better.  Our current crop cannot as stated above supply enough attacking focus.

The only way any of that is negated is if we have less money than thought, or we still have to sell/reduce the wages before buying.

Gary Rowett stated just last week that we are looking at 3 or 4 players. He also stated that you can not rush into buying to soon and not getting the right man. Perhaps Tom Lawrence is one of the 3 or 4 we are looking at. I still think we could be in a transfer frenzy come the last week of the window. Would be nice to see some in as well as some leaving and also keeping well in FFP system.

7 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Didn't Rowett say something like 2 bids in? Not sure which players though (so hopefully one is Lawrence) 

Check Steve Derby telegraph guy twitter seems like we may not be a million miles away 

Archived