Signed: Tom Lawrence - Undisclosed fee, long term contract

RamsFan10

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

If that BBC Derby tweet is a paraphrased quote, then that is very interesting, although I doubt it is

I understand information is tight around the club this season (probably for the best I think) but based on what you've heard, what is your gut feeling on who we will likely see come in before the end of August? 

If you haven't heard anything beyond the usual  forum chat or if you've been sworn to silence, that's fine, no worries. Just thought I'd ask is all? 

2 hours ago, RamsFan10 said:

Just assessing the "wanting to buy players to make Derby top 2 contenders by Friday" comment. 

I'd say at the moment we are looking at fringes of the play offs, 10-6th ish. Add Lawrence and I think that pushes us up to a more confident sixth maybe 5th. I know that's a lot of difference from one player but we really lack creativity from out wide, he'd come in and be our first choice winger. 

From our list of rumoured targets, I think it'd take Lawrence, Jota and Matty James in, or 3 players if that ilk in those positions, to make us top 2 contenders. Can't see 3 big signings like that happening, given Rowetts comments regarding fees and the fact we'd need to ship a few out to raise funds and make room. It's a shame, I think that's the sort of ambition any Derby manager should have in the transfer market. 

Shame isn't it.  But we are paying for the mistakes of Clement and Pearson right now.  And with FFP, it will take a few windows to balance things out.

4 hours ago, Inglorius said:

Hardly the most positive statement, that reads that the players will be going elsewhere. Pedantically it would have been more appropriate to say if our targets go elsewhere or we refuse to pay the club's valuation of those targets.  

This is just semantics. It's only a negative statement if you choose to read it that way. The fact that we are still trying to secure our top targets as opposed for settling for sloppy seconds is a massively positive thing for me.

All these folk saying 'just chuck money at it' are the same folk who moan about 'bad signings' like Butterfield, Johnson & Vydra - you can't have it both ways!

13 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Its just a story reporting what Pat Murphy had tweeted earlier. Looks as if their local paper is as bad at clickbaiting as ours. 

Edit : Apologies, just seen the other reply stating the same thing. Hope we get him in before Sunderland. 

12 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

Its just a story reporting what Pat Murphy had tweeted earlier. Looks as if their local paper is as bad at clickbaiting as ours. 

Edit : Apologies, just seen the other reply stating the same thing. Hope we get him in before Sunderland. 

If we did I bet he wouldn't start! 

5 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

If we did I bet he wouldn't start! 

He probably wouldn't, unless we signed him today or tomorrow he might have a chance. Managers always seem wary of putting new signings straight in, presumably as to not upset the players who have worked hard all preseason by whacking someone who has just arrived in. Think its the wrong approach personally, would rather we put out the best 11 with the best chance of winning first then worry about players being upset after. A pro footballer should understand if Gary explains he thinks starting Lawrence would give us a better chance of winning - which i feel is true. 

1 minute ago, RamsFan10 said:

He probably wouldn't, unless we signed him today or tomorrow he might have a chance. Managers always seem wary of putting new signings straight in, presumably as to not upset the players who have worked hard all preseason by whacking someone who has just arrived in. Think its the wrong approach personally, would rather we put out the best 11if the best chance of winning first then worry about players being upset after. A pro footballer should understand if Gary explains he thinks starting Lawrence would give us a better chance of winning - which i feel is true. 

That may well be true but if he does sign he will then have to convince the home fans he is worthy of a regular starting place

6 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

That may well be true but if he does sign he will then have to convince the home fans he is worthy of a regular starting place

Shouldn't be too difficult, we are an understanding bunch us Rams fans! 

Anyone fancy a boo? Oops I mean brew ?

27 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Can't be good for us. 

GRAY ON HIS WAY?

Demarai Gray has held talks with Leicesterthis afternoon over a possible transfer away from the club, according to Sky sources.

Sky Sports News understands there are a number of clubs interested in Gray, including Everton, Tottenham and Borussia Dortmund.

The 21-year-old winger scored twice for England at this summer's European U21 Championship.

As far as Leicester are concerned, Gray is under a long-term contract and is not for sale.

Archived