Signed: Tom Lawrence - Undisclosed fee, long term contract

RamsFan10

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have patience me owd

there will be someone in on loan. Toral or similar.

and perhaps one - slightly past their best permanent  - From the bargain bin.

e.g. Callum mcmanaman 

15 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

This is all getting very boring now.  Talk about farting around in the transfer market. We seem to be getting nowhere recently

Yes. Okay there is a month to go but technically we're talking a player missing 5 games and taking another handful to get up to speed. Surely preseason planning should involve getting your intended team ready not just the 80 or 90% in place.

4 minutes ago, maxjam said:

We can't buy players if no one wants to sell and whats the point of buying players that are no better than what we have?

To keep the fans happy of course. 

Plus it will give them something to moan about if the signings turn out to be no good.

Think some are a bit unhappy that they are being made to use the same scapegoats for the second season running.

It's not good enough.

1 minute ago, maxjam said:

We can't buy players if no one wants to sell and whats the point of buying players that are no better than what we have?

Teams sell if you convince them to. If you get £11.5m for your prize winger and spend weeks presumably bidding silly amounts like £3m for players that are touted as valued at £6-8m you don't get far.

Everybody is overpriced, so if you were to pay £3m you are only going to get distinctly average players, gambles on youngsters or paydays for oldies. Quality costs.

15 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

The first month of the season cost us dear last season, you want a repeat?

Not really. Before the end of January (I think) we found ourselves in the play off positions. 

We were unable to maintain our form, probably because we were not good enough.

Over a season there will be good and bad spells, does not really matter when you pick up your points.

If anything, it is probably better to pick up momentum as the season comes towards the end as that is when there are more freak results due to teams fighting for survival.

12 minutes ago, Rample said:

Teams sell if you convince them to. If you get £11.5m for your prize winger and spend weeks presumably bidding silly amounts like £3m for players that are touted as valued at £6-8m you don't get far.

Everybody is overpriced, so if you were to pay £3m you are only going to get distinctly average players, gambles on youngsters or paydays for oldies. Quality costs.

...so say we've got a budget of £9m, you'd rather we just straight up give Leicester £9m for Tom Lawrence for the sake of waiting 3 or 4 weeks waiting time, when we might get him for £6m and use the remaining £3m to strenghten in another area as well?

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

...and we were playing an unsustainable system that only was only ever designed to get the best out of two players, which was totally reliant on individual skiill and goals out of nothing to succeed.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not really. Before the end of January (I think) we found ourselves in the play off positions. 

Over a season there will be good and bad spells, does not really matter when you pick up your points.

If anything, it is probably better to pick up momentum as the season comes towards the end as that is when there are more freak results due to teams fighting for survival.

Mate, all the teams had a drop off in form but they were 10 points ahead of us already. We had 2 drop offs of form, without that terrible start we'd have been in the playoffs. Don't get me started on loaning Martin out as well. Fighting ourselves, need to give ourselves as much advantage as possible not cripple ourselves.

1 minute ago, tomsdubs said:

Mate, all the teams had a drop off in form but they were 10 points ahead of us already. We had 2 drop offs of form, without that terrible start we'd have been in the playoffs. Don't get me started on loaning Martin out as well. Fighting ourselves, need to give ourselves as much advantage as possible not cripple ourselves.

But it makes no difference when your bad spell is.

If you have two prolonged bad spells over a season (as we did) it just shows that you are not good enough rather than it being a loss of form.

We finished quite a way from the play offs purely on not being good enough.

A nice start is good for morale etc but I would much rather see a good spell over Xmas/New Year period when the games are coming thick and fast.

7 minutes ago, Rample said:

Absolutely right.  However, nothing will change until clubs stop paying silly money for average players.  I'm not suggesting we are refusing to pay the asking price for Lawrence (or anybody else) as a matter of principle, not least because I don't think it has been confirmed anywhere that the issue is the fee and not that clubs don't want to sell.  Nonetheless, I wouldn't object to the club saying that we aren't paying over the odds and trying to retain some semblance of sanity, even if we are the only ones doing it.  

FWIW I do think we are lacking somebody with a bit of flair and excitement who can do something a little bit different, but if that player isn't available or isn't viable then a combination of Russell, Weimann and Anya is likely to be good enough at this level to still compete at a high level - even if it means playing in more workmanlike and effort based fashion than playing people off the park.  

Archived