Joe Ledley - Signed

RamFan13

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked @Leicester Ram's recent post (quite a long one, so didn't want to quote it) because I agreed wholeheartedly with everything he said.

However, as the deal has just been announced as a contract until January only, this has changed my opinion. I thought if Ledley were to sign, it would be on a deal of around 2 years. He can sign for anyone at anytime. I suppose he's not had an awful lot of offers and this suits both parties.

We have an extra body in an area where we are short until January when we can then sign Keith/the mobile midfielder we lack, and Ledley gets match fitness to help with a longer term move.

He may even come in and be a revelation, to which we can extend the contract. Very little risk in a deal of only a few months.

I don't think he's the player we need, but that's not to say he's not a good player. The circumstances in which we have him suits us perfectly, so I can see why we've made the move to sign him now.

Just now, hkrammm said:

True. 

Unless it's on unrealistically high wages.

Ledley has been rejecting offers (plural) from local clubs and aboard because he wants to wait for the right "project". So why would he agree to a three-month deal otherwise?  

Gets match fit, gets some wages and then goes to a bigger club in January and we get to bring someone in on lower wages in January. Good for all I think.

13 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Absolutely hate the buzzwords associated with this signing. 

"Fight"

"Grit"

"Battling"

Those intangibles that give 4-4-2 loving, Pogba hating, proper football men raging hard on's aren't much use if we're still being completely overrun by a mid-table outfit who have even a little bit of pace. He can't "battle" against a player who's 10 yards past him, can he? How much grit does it take to slow down their attacking mid?

Even though I've just taken the piss out of Mostyn for treating the fact that this is a panic signing as revelation but it really is. The absolute worst kind. 

I really don't see how this improves us too much? He's a cannier version of Johnson but we don't need that player.

We need an energetic DM who's tidy on the ball. That should be our number one priority in January but it won't be because we'll be full on DM's with no room to manoeuvre on the wage bill because we'll have four. Players on big wages who dropped down from the PL, the complete opposite of what Rowett supposedly wanted.

Rowett is currently averaging about 1.5 points a game. It comes out at 69 points at the end of the season. Not quite good enough for the play-off's but good enough to get us to January and have the top 6 still be within reaching distance. Wait until then and get a player who'll be considerably more valuable than Ledley in the long-term. We should be giving Guy and Hanson chances at making a claim otherwise why do we bother with this category one academy?

It's short-termism again. Same s****, different regime. I'm absolutely fed up of it.

Rowett's gone on about hungry players, young players, lower league players, players who want to play for Derby, players who aren't dropping down from the PL. He really seemed like someone who was more interested in the long-term health of the club than his own short-term success. That's what sold me on him despite being a massively disappointed McClaren fan.

But this move is just the same Derby that we've seen since January 2015. Veterans that are supposedly going to get us over the line this season. Don't stop and think about the wage bill we're racking up, don't think about what this does to us if we don't go up, just think about the PL!

And while I can have a go at Rowett for this ultimately Mel takes a lot of the blame. If Rowett feels the pressure to get into the top six this season is so bad that he has to chuck a contract at Ledley, who's still dining out on Euro 2016, then I wonder if anyone can get the club healthy again under him. And I've always said Mel is a great thing for this club.

The reason this riles me up so much is because that fourth midfield spot could be the most important position in this team. It needs to be an energetic player. The engine, the player who makes Huddlestone or Thorne look a class above anyone else in this league by doing their dirty work. It should be our priority in January. Someone young who can partner Thorne for years to come. Someone who can make the step up to the PL with us. Someone worth spending 5 or 6 million on.

It most certainly shouldn't be a free agent signing in his 30's who's barely played for the past year and most likely isn't going to be fully match fit or sharp for weeks.

I'm serious, what is the point of this other than satisfying 16 year olds who don't show their faces online and are under @ClinicalVydra on twitter and those members who only post in the transfer suggestion threads about signings Bakary Sako?

I usually end these rants by saying I'll be happy to say I'm wrong if he turns out to be a great signing but I hope he's s**** and we finally learn our lesson. Utter madness that I've hit a point where I miss Nigel Clough.

Crikey! Do they really exist? 

Expect to see a few "shapeless" beards appearing amongst fans and at least Carson now has a fashion partner to go shopping for steel toe caps and lumberjack shirts. 

1 minute ago, ThePrisoner said:

Gets match fit, gets some wages and then goes to a bigger club in January and we get to bring someone in on lower wages in January. Good for all I think.

Maybe he'll become a real cult...:mellow: and we'll sign him permanently...Keith may no longer be an option by then. 

Maybe the bloke just wants to play football and is taking a gamble impressive performances might extend his stay, either way I hope it goes well for him here.

That said, looks like another contradiction from the manager, they're adding up now, I'm beginning to wonder if he graduated with honours from the Alister Campbell School of Spin and Bull and that's what got him through the interview process. 

Ledley has just bought time for him to be ready for the MLS season, where beards like that have been popular since Alexei Lalas. Little for us to lose, much for him to gain in getting match fit. Makes sense that the young midfielders Guy and Bird are given contracts at the same time so they don't see this as a signal that they're not yet good enough. 

27 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Absolutely hate the buzzwords associated with this signing. 

"Fight"

"Grit"

"Battling"

Those intangibles that give 4-4-2 loving, Pogba hating, proper football men raging hard on's aren't much use if we're still being completely overrun by a mid-table outfit who have even a little bit of pace. He can't "battle" against a player who's 10 yards past him, can he? How much grit does it take to slow down their attacking mid?

Even though I've just taken the piss out of Mostyn for treating the fact that this is a panic signing as revelation but it really is. The absolute worst kind. 

I really don't see how this improves us too much? He's a cannier version of Johnson but we don't need that player.

We need an energetic DM who's tidy on the ball. That should be our number one priority in January but it won't be because we'll be full on DM's with no room to manoeuvre on the wage bill because we'll have four. Players on big wages who dropped down from the PL, the complete opposite of what Rowett supposedly wanted.

Rowett is currently averaging about 1.5 points a game. It comes out at 69 points at the end of the season. Not quite good enough for the play-off's but good enough to get us to January and have the top 6 still be within reaching distance. Wait until then and get a player who'll be considerably more valuable than Ledley in the long-term. We should be giving Guy and Hanson chances at making a claim otherwise why do we bother with this category one academy?

It's short-termism again. Same s****, different regime. I'm absolutely fed up of it.

Rowett's gone on about hungry players, young players, lower league players, players who want to play for Derby, players who aren't dropping down from the PL. He really seemed like someone who was more interested in the long-term health of the club than his own short-term success. That's what sold me on him despite being a massively disappointed McClaren fan.

But this move is just the same Derby that we've seen since January 2015. Veterans that are supposedly going to get us over the line this season. Don't stop and think about the wage bill we're racking up, don't think about what this does to us if we don't go up, just think about the PL!

And while I can have a go at Rowett for this ultimately Mel takes a lot of the blame. If Rowett feels the pressure to get into the top six this season is so bad that he has to chuck a contract at Ledley, who's still dining out on Euro 2016, then I wonder if anyone can get the club healthy again under him. And I've always said Mel is a great thing for this club.

The reason this riles me up so much is because that fourth midfield spot could be the most important position in this team. It needs to be an energetic player. The engine, the player who makes Huddlestone or Thorne look a class above anyone else in this league by doing their dirty work. It should be our priority in January. Someone young who can partner Thorne for years to come. Someone who can make the step up to the PL with us. Someone worth spending 5 or 6 million on.

It most certainly shouldn't be a free agent signing in his 30's who's barely played for the past year and most likely isn't going to be fully match fit or sharp for weeks.

I'm serious, what is the point of this other than satisfying 16 year olds who don't show their faces online and are under @ClinicalVydra on twitter and those members who only post in the transfer suggestion threads about signings Bakary Sako?

I usually end these rants by saying I'll be happy to say I'm wrong if he turns out to be a great signing but I hope he's s**** and we finally learn our lesson. Utter madness that I've hit a point where I miss Nigel Clough.

On second thoughts, bringing him in just til January is absolutely fine ???

6 hours ago,  Derbados said: 

Jesus, another 30+ ex premier league player. Hasn't played a game in donkeys apart from the odd sub appearance from the Welsh bench. Derby County, where players come to die. 

when will this club learn

Interesting!! Ledley is actually younger than Saint Bryson whose main ability seemed to be running around like a headless chicken,a bit like Russell really.As he's only signed until January I think the "wrist slashers" or "wage know alls" out there could take some time off and spare us their expert/ managerial expertise.Surely with all this knowledge they could be contacting the club direct to offer their valued service!?

On 12/09/2017 at 09:29, Rample said:

I think we might take a gamble on him now. Probably only until the end of the year though. He needs match fitness and a shop window and we could use another body if we still have lofty ambitions.

Would probably take 20-30k a week short term deal and we either renegotiate in January if he impresses or let him leave.

Someone at the club is following me...

I can't be the only one who is expecting him to be the mutt's nuts until January then leave us to sign for a promotion rival while we moan about the original contract. 

Ledley is a good signing, I'd have liked to see him sign for a two-year deal. 

Dutch Keith will replace him in January, I have no doubts about that. Unfortunately, he's a player who Birmingham fans are reluctant to see play for them despite languishing in the depths of the division at this early stage. 

Nevertheless, good signing for the short term - at least. 

Great deal for us IMO. Heard early this morning from a close friend of Ledley that he was at the training round today with Rowett having been offered a contract on Monday. I guess the deal has incentives for him to have the contract extended based on apperances and how he does.

Those saying he isn't an improvement on what we have are wrong. Hes a better player than Bradley Johnson has ever been and has good work rate. Probably lacks a yard of pace that we needed in there, however can't knock his work rate in a game as he covers plenty of ground. He has been a full International recently in a good Wales side and an effective piece for them. Think he will offer us good balance in midfield and allow Johnson to push further forward in games.

10 minutes ago, Kernow said:

We've fluffed up again lads. We haven't actually signed Ledley...

We're stuck with Joe Lesley until January, let's hope he's good.

IMG_4856.PNG

What's that we have signed John Leslie? 

Archived