Joe Ledley - Signed

RamFan13

2 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Well your OK with giving him credit for Hughes and Hendrick we were not spending money under Clough were we I'll repeat his record is not good 

Yes we weren't spending money under Clough, that is why Hughes, Hendrick, O'Brien (20 games before injury in 11/12) and Ball (had 23 games in 11/12) all played regularly.

Max Lowe has been a regular player last season when not injured, Bennett has only just turned 21, and has been getting chances this season, Guy has been out on loan and will get some chances this season, Elsnik and Gordon are out on loan, Rawson has had a good spell in the Championship, Bird is 16 and has made his first team debut, Vernam has been out on loan, and would have been around the first team this season if it was not for his injury.

There has been a void period of the last few years as the club have been pushing for promotion, money has been spent to cover injuries. The academy has gone from a bog standard, not much importance placed on it to the complete opposite, the under 23's are in the top league and competing with the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, Everton.

What do you expect of the academy? 

How long do you think it takes for the academy to start to produce talent that is good enough for the first team? Should we have had 2-3 players every year for the last 7 years? 

How old will a child be when the academy manager no longer has any effect on whether or not they will be good enough to be Championship standard? 16-17? 12-13? 6-7?

It is easy to sit there and say Wassall has not been producing the players, and off the face of it, there probably hasn't been enough players that has sustained first team football, but it is not all down to Wassall. In fact where the academy was when he took over to where it is now is vastly improved, the teams are competitive, and there is a thought and a structure for the youth players. And things are only going to improve.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, rynny said:

Yes we weren't spending money under Clough, that is why Hughes, Hendrick, O'Brien (20 games before injury in 11/12) and Ball (had 23 games in 11/12) all played regularly.

Max Lowe has been a regular player last season when not injured, Bennett has only just turned 21, and has been getting chances this season, Guy has been out on loan and will get some chances this season, Elsnik and Gordon are out on loan, Rawson has had a good spell in the Championship, Bird is 16 and has made his first team debut, Vernam has been out on loan, and would have been around the first team this season if it was not for his injury.

There has been a void period of the last few years as the club have been pushing for promotion, money has been spent to cover injuries. The academy has gone from a bog standard, not much importance placed on it to the complete opposite, the under 23's are in the top league and competing with the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, Everton.

What do you expect of the academy? 

How long do you think it takes for the academy to start to produce talent that is good enough for the first team? Should we have had 2-3 players every year for the last 7 years? 

How old will a child be when the academy manager no longer has any effect on whether or not they will be good enough to be Championship standard? 16-17? 12-13? 6-7?

It is easy to sit there and say Wassall has not been producing the players, and off the face of it, there probably hasn't been enough players that has sustained first team football, but it is not all down to Wassall. In fact where the academy was when he took over to where it is now is vastly improved, the teams are competitive, and there is a thought and a structure for the youth players. And things are only going to improve.

Rynny we will have to agree to disagree as somebody who watches the under 23s there has been little improvement in emerging talent in the last four or five seasons I agree its not all down to Wassall but as the acadamy manager he has to take responsibility The academy is there for only one purpose that is to produce players for the first team and I think it is failing to do this It is irrelevant how much we spend on players if a player from the academy is good enough they will be picked by whoever is the manager 

8 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Rynny we will have to agree to disagree as somebody who watches the under 23s there has been little improvement in emerging talent in the last four or five seasons I agree its not all down to Wassall but as the acadamy manager he has to take responsibility The academy is there for only one purpose that is to produce players for the first team and I think it is failing to do this It is irrelevant how much we spend on players if a player from the academy is good enough they will be picked by whoever is the manager 

But that is the thing, which managers recently have paid any attention to the academy? Paul Clement's squad for his first friendly;

Squad To Face Grimsby: Lee Grant, Scott Carson, Kelle Roos, Cyrus Christie, Craig Forsyth, Chris Baird, Richard Keogh, Ryan Shotton, Raul Albentosa, Alex Pearce, Stephen Warnock, Isak Ssewankambo, Jamie Hanson, George Thorne, Craig Bryson, Jeff Hendrick, Will Hughes, Tom Ince, Ivan Calero, Johnny Russell, Andreas Weimann, Conor Sammon, Darren Bent.

How can academy players breakthrough if the first manager isn't interested in trying any of them, doesn't pay attention to what they are doing? 

We have an expensively assembled squad, which makes it difficult for the younger players to breakthrough. Hanson played a few of the opening games under Clement but instead of giving him an extended run in the team he went out spent £10m on 2 centre mids. How was Hanson then to keep his place in the squad and show his worth?

It is all well and good saying that Wassall has to take responsibility about the lack of academy players in the first team, it is down to the first team staff to take them on to the next stage. You say that there has been little improvement over the last 4 years in the under 23s yet the team has been promoted to the top league, are playing against a higher standard of opposition and have performed very well in a number of those games. I can see a big difference in the last 2 years.

14 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

The Academy is there for improving talented youngsters that may be able to feed into the first team. Every club that have academies does not get an high percentage of players making their first team. But hopefully they could be sold on to a lesser team, I.E. Tom Lawrence not making it at Manchester United and being sold on to the Foxes for £1m ( i wonder what happened to him). The most successful club of recent years has got to be Southampton, they have had at least a dozen or so in the last 7 years

7 minutes ago, rynny said:

But that is the thing, which managers recently have paid any attention to the academy? Paul Clement's squad for his first friendly;

Squad To Face Grimsby: Lee Grant, Scott Carson, Kelle Roos, Cyrus Christie, Craig Forsyth, Chris Baird, Richard Keogh, Ryan Shotton, Raul Albentosa, Alex Pearce, Stephen Warnock, Isak Ssewankambo, Jamie Hanson, George Thorne, Craig Bryson, Jeff Hendrick, Will Hughes, Tom Ince, Ivan Calero, Johnny Russell, Andreas Weimann, Conor Sammon, Darren Bent.

How can academy players breakthrough if the first manager isn't interested in trying any of them, doesn't pay attention to what they are doing? 

We have an expensively assembled squad, which makes it difficult for the younger players to breakthrough. Hanson played a few of the opening games under Clement but instead of giving him an extended run in the team he went out spent £10m on 2 centre mids. How was Hanson then to keep his place in the squad and show his worth?

It is all well and good saying that Wassall has to take responsibility about the lack of academy players in the first team, it is down to the first team staff to take them on to the next stage. You say that there has been little improvement over the last 4 years in the under 23s yet the team has been promoted to the top league, are playing against a higher standard of opposition and have performed very well in a number of those games. I can see a big difference in the last 2 years.

Rynny There is no difference in the standard in the last two years just because we are playing better opposition doesn't mean our players standard is higher Its almost impossible to judge because you rarely see the same players two matches on the trot I'm sorry I won't be able to debate with you for a while I'm on the roadrider just pulled into carpark in Bristol will probably lose WiFi when we get off 

The bloke has hardly played in a year and has had no pre season. If we signed him, and he did his own mini pre season (4 weeks) he'd probably need another month or so to adapt his body to regular games and match sharpness.

So I doubt he'd be effective until December. 

I'd wait until January and just buy someone better. 

On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 09:13, DazzaRam said:

Hughes best player some have ever seen at Derby??? Better than Huddlestone??? Some have not watched much football at Derby and Huddlestone's career is proven at top flight level. Hughes hasn't even played 1 game at top flight level.

Agreed. Which is exactly why most of the stuff posted on this forum is ill-informed guff!

53 minutes ago, feisty said:

The bloke has hardly played in a year and has had no pre season. If we signed him, and he did his own mini pre season (4 weeks) he'd probably need another month or so to adapt his body to regular games and match sharpness.

So I doubt he'd be effective until December. 

I'd wait until January and just buy someone better. 

It's what you think.

If Chris Coleman (current Welsh manager) trusts him that he has enough match fitness and Joe Ledley plays regularly for Wales as he's playing now I don't have any objection about him being match ready.

According to several websites it seems Derby after him, that's why I asked if someone has inside info from the club.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/4497241/derby-joe-ledley-free-transfer/

I am expecting him to sign Monday or Tuesday, depending on the match result this Saturday.  :ph34r:

Archived