Christie's Future

cannable

I don't get the slating of him.

He can be frustrating and we're better balanced with Baird in the side but he's not a bad right back in the championship. Just needs to cross earlier or realise when he's done the hard bit, just do it.

Anyway, if he goes, good luck to him, he's been OK for what we signed him for and just not quite developed into the player we thought he might be when we signed him from Cov.  

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I don't get the slating of him.

He can be frustrating and we're better balanced with Baird in the side but he's not a bad right back in the championship. Just needs to cross earlier or realise when he's done the hard bit, just do it.

Anyway, if he goes, good luck to him, he's been OK for what we signed him for and just not quite developed into the player we thought he might be when we signed him from Cov.  

How do you rate his defensive qualities? 

Can't see anything wrong with what he said. On his day he could be the best right back in the league...but he is frustratingly inconsistent and can look a bit of a headless chicken.

In a one-off game where we needed to win, he could be awesome ...drive,  ca  be skillful, has pace, power... 

Unfortunately over a season he is too 'in and out'. He can't be relied on to keep the shape in the side,  he loses the ball, he makes odd passing decisions...not one for a solid team grinding out promotion from the Championship. 

Always gives 100%, doesn't hide...but doesn't work with Ince at all. Parting of the ways may be in order..but would go with my blessing and come back and tear us apart. 

I don't think we would miss Christie if he left.   I do think he's pretty decent but there's better players out there. 

For me he is a bit dodgy at the back, either due to poor positioning or over playing it at times (Keogh frequently gets pulled out of position to cover him). When he is attacking he looks good until it comes to the critical last pass or cross. He also stiffles Ince at times.

Wisdom is better (if we are interested in him),  Baird is about on a par with Christie but has different qualities. Yiadom is better IMO

Analysis of a players strengths and weaknesses is what football fans do all day long.

What is unpleasant is when if someone thinks a player doesn't make the grade, not through lack of effort but simply through not having (yet) developed skills that are required at that level, the analysis of the player's weaknesses turn from being objective into insults or disparaging comments; or in some cases the player is abused.

The Christie episode made me think how I would feel if my son was playing football, trying his very best but not quite making it, and supporters were yelling insults at him. Made me feel quite sick

I get frustrated with players too. The Christie episode has made me think I will in future try to ensure my analysis of players is done in such a way that I am respectful of their efforts.

5 hours ago, HantsRam said:

How do you rate his defensive qualities? 

Average at best, but not as awful as is made out sometimes. Has the legs to get himself out the do-do at least.

The unbalanced nature of the back four highlight this even more - if we had a Baird like solid left back whilst Christie went off or played him as wing back.

I like Christie. I think he could become a very capable fullback/wingback. He knows he's not the finished product and that's why I think we should stick with him. I'm hoping GR can work on his positioning and then with confidence he'll flourish. I think TI and CC could become the best way to unlock teams in my opinion. How much did we pay for CC and how much would you. Red to pay to replace him with a " finished product "

1 minute ago, Aaronram said:

I like Christie. I think he could become a very capable fullback/wingback. He knows he's not the finished product and that's why I think we should stick with him. I'm hoping GR can work on his positioning and then with confidence he'll flourish. I think TI and CC could become the best way to unlock teams in my opinion. How much did we pay for CC and how much would you. Red to pay to replace him with a " finished product "

I think we paid aound under £1m or so it's around there anyway. I'd be interested to see if he can actually fill in wingback role for us. 

I just think we expect to much as fans. Almost as if we expect every player to be world beaters or them to be on form every game. CC is a good solid player who plays for a good international team who are managed by a good manager. I'd rather trust these guys and stick with him. Unless you can point me in the direction of a fullback who gets forward like ronaldo and defends like bonucci ( the juve lad) for a couple of million ?  

8 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I think we paid 750k for him but rising to 1m after so many apperance.

Christie was out of contract at Coventry, we paid a compensation fee of around 100k I believe. 

Edit: found an article backing that figure up http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2734411/Lee-Tomlin-Ross-Barkley-Cyrus-Christie-s-Derby-winner-five-things-I-ve-learned-outside-Premier-League.html 

2 hours ago, Aaronram said:

I just think we expect to much as fans. Almost as if we expect every player to be world beaters or them to be on form every game. CC is a good solid player who plays for a good international team who are managed by a good manager. I'd rather trust these guys and stick with him. Unless you can point me in the direction of a fullback who gets forward like ronaldo and defends like bonucci ( the juve lad) for a couple of million ?  

But Christie doesn't play like a ronny & bonny mix. He also isn't better than Baird. He's out of contract in a year, now is the time to cash in and get a young defensively minded RB. We have an old version in Baird so its not too much to expect.

48 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But Christie doesn't play like a ronny & bonny mix. 

I know and I would never expect a player to be able too. My point was, what do you seriously expect from a young man still learning his trade? Yes I get confused by some of his decision making and lack of positional sense but who's to say that with some work and patience, he can't become the full back we need. Maybe your right and he's had his time, but that's not our decision to make. So I just think we should except his floors and not get carried away with the expectation of being able to sign all these players who, quiet frankly with our track record, won't know who will be his manager come end of season. 

Archived